BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
Eric-TAIWAN
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Arkym Trunk white paint turned yellow!

hi im using gintani Xpipe + akrapovic exhaust, in less than 2 months the rear end of my Arkym trunk turned yellow, obvious i did the paint job in aftermarket paint shop, people told me this can not be prevented for a white car.

anyone know how i can prevent this from happening again?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

白車很容易變黃呀 要常常的定期美容車子 我都固定一個禮拜洗一次車和打蠟 每次洗車都用手蠟 然後每個月固定用一次機器打蠟 如果變黃了 你就常常這樣美容你的車 久了會變得比較白些
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
mofbb
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lin View Post
白車很容易變黃呀 要常常的定期美容車子 我都固定一個禮拜洗一次車和打蠟 每次洗車都用手蠟 然後每個月固定用一次機器打蠟 如果變黃了 你就常常這樣美容你的車 久了會變得比較白些
i doubt if wax can turn it white

E9X Picture Game: 2 points (Slow sign, Leaves)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
You know that keep waxing the car is actually making the clear coat thinner and thinner? I only wax my car once or the most twice a year
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
You know that keep waxing the car is actually making the clear coat thinner and thinner? I only wax my car once or the most twice a year
Did you read what you posted?

Waxing your car does not remove any clear coat whatsoever......

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about man? If you wax a car with a non-abrasive applicator pad, it absolutely does not remove any clearcoat.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-TAIWAN View Post
hi im using gintani Xpipe + akrapovic exhaust, in less than 2 months the rear end of my Arkym trunk turned yellow, obvious i did the paint job in aftermarket paint shop, people told me this can not be prevented for a white car.

anyone know how i can prevent this from happening again?
Absolutely false. Your paint should not yellow if properly applied and properly protected with a sealant/wax. I guess it is possible that simply the top layer of the clear is contaminated and you could cut that away. Can you post pictures? I'd hit up the detailing forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Did you read what you posted?

Waxing your car does not remove any clear coat whatsoever......
+1.

The issue with the paint could either be with the base color or the clear. If it did turn yellow then your shop should warranty it and repaint for you for free. Also, waxing too soon after painting could cause gases to be trapped in the paint which could give you ill effects.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
lol what is this i don't even?

OP, post up some pics, let us see the issue. It might just be the clearcoat. If it is, you might be able to cut it away. Need to have a paint thickness reading done too though, most people wouldn't want to cut the area if it was too thin and wasn't done right.
      03-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Any photos? I would like to see what you are talking about.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
marinerbc
Registered
Rep
Drives: nice

Quote:
你说的very good!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Mike Lu
Z
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [2.00]
2009 BMW/M3  [10.00]
+1 AW的车特别容易发黄,特别需要保养

Quote:
Challenge V-weave Front Lip & Mirror Caps | WSTO painted AW front grill & Mag Blue side grill & Mag Blue Tow Hook & Mag Blue mirror inner ring | Te-37 Mag Blue wrapped with R-S3 | Kreissieg F1 exhaust & X-pipe | KW V3 | Vortex EVO X GT-wing | Tinted LCI taillight | Nadi steering wheel & IND shift extension |
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

ok im a little confused..

his trunk is turning yellow? due to exhaust? i mean yea this usually happens when you have a no cat xpipe due to carbon and usually only in the rear bumper but when your stuck in traffic with no cat the smoke carbon will go up to your trunk causing it to turn yellow to avoid wash the car once a week.. yes it will turn your bumper yellow then black if you dont do anything.

yes it will turn yellow if not maintained properly.... a little wax usually do the trick at lease once every 3-5 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
+1.

The issue with the paint could either be with the base color or the clear. If it did turn yellow then your shop should warranty it and repaint for you for free. Also, waxing too soon after painting could cause gases to be trapped in the paint which could give you ill effects.
Good point! Although some shops do bake their paint so that it is fully cured when it goes on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

i think the OP is talking about the carbon on his exhaust due to no cat...

i doubt its a paint issue on the trunk..

OP: post a pic
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
i think the OP is talking about the carbon on his exhaust due to no cat...

i doubt its a paint issue on the trunk..

OP: post a pic
The carbon would just make it dirty, not make it yellow. Only excessive heat due to proximity of the exhaust could cause it to yellow as you would describe it and the exhaust isn't anywhere close enough to do that. The bumper would yellow first if that were the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The carbon would just make it dirty, not make it yellow. Only excessive heat due to proximity of the exhaust could cause it to yellow as you would describe it and the exhaust isn't anywhere close enough to do that. The bumper would yellow first if that were the case.

Yea i was thinking about the heat issue but what got me buffled is that he mentioned the exhaust... yea like you said the bumper would be the first to yellow...

i say OP post some pics.. we will find out...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
ok im a little confused..

his trunk is turning yellow? due to exhaust? i mean yea this usually happens when you have a no cat xpipe due to carbon and usually only in the rear bumper but when your stuck in traffic with no cat the smoke carbon will go up to your trunk causing it to turn yellow to avoid wash the car once a week.. yes it will turn your bumper yellow then black if you dont do anything.

yes it will turn yellow if not maintained properly.... a little wax usually do the trick at lease once every 3-5 months.

I'm confused as well, yellowing paint and now waxing removes clear coat. The OP is not the only member on here with a catless exhaust on a AW car and no one else had reported a yellowing trunk that I recall. I suspect that THE TECH is correct and its something to do more along the lines of the shop that painted it.

Regular protectant wax will not clean anything, you'd have to get a mildly abbrasive cleaner wax or polish it. I use megs cleaner wax on the belly of the plane to keep it clean when I degrease it and even that doesn't get it all out. I have to polish it twice a year to keep it like new.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
+1 to the pictures

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
I don't think this is quite right. There are other compounds in uncatalyzed exhaust that can make the clear coat yellow. I suspect that the clear coat was not fully cured and was left unprotected and that's what caused the yellowing. A coat of wax probably could have prevented this.

Also, I have seen some yellowing of a stock rear bumper actually. A member on here asked me to remove his rear diffuser and the paint had yellowed pretty significantly due to a lack of cleaning and waxing in that area. It was yellow far enough away from the exhaust that it couldn't have been caused solely by heat.

The likely reason that you don't see this often is that most people are religious about cleaning and protecting their paint. The paint on this trunk was probably not fully cured and unprotected. The paint will become much more chemical resistant once it is fully cured.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I don't think this is quite right. There are other compounds in uncatalyzed exhaust that can make the clear coat yellow. I suspect that the clear coat was not fully cured and was left unprotected and that's what caused the yellowing. A coat of wax probably could have prevented this.

Also, I have seen some yellowing of a stock rear bumper actually. A member on here asked me to remove his rear diffuser and the paint had yellowed pretty significantly due to a lack of cleaning and waxing in that area. It was yellow far enough away from the exhaust that it couldn't have been caused solely by heat.

The likely reason that you don't see this often is that most people are religious about cleaning and protecting their paint. The paint on this trunk was probably not fully cured and unprotected. The paint will become much more chemical resistant once it is fully cured.
Even if you're correct and I am not, how do you explain this happening in the 2 month period that the OP suggests? I highly doubt the carbon emissions would degradate the paint that quickly. I believe something else to be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Even if you're correct and I am not, how do you explain this happening in the 2 month period that the OP suggests? I highly doubt the carbon emissions would degradate the paint that quickly. I believe something else to be the culprit.
I'm not trying to be a dick and call you out BTW. Like I said, I'd guess that the paint was likely not totally cured and was unprotected (no wax). The paint will be much more susceptible to chemical attack before it is fully cured.

I have experienced this first hand. I've been learning to paint my own parts and I recently put on a diffuser that had cured for only a week, indoors with no heat/sunlight to speed the curing process. After driving in the rain and one car wash (hard water), the finish was horribly etched. I didn't want to wax too soon so the painted was unprotected. I repaired the clear coat (wet sanded and re-cleared) and let it cure for a month, waxed it, and the problem has not reemerged.

As far as the curing time, this is an extreme case though because I'm a noob so the paint was thick. That extended the curing time. I'm not suggesting that a month of curing time is the norm.
Appreciate 0