ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
maverickdxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Engine Stalls

OK before I highlight this problem, my rpm is always below 1000 when idling, and when revving in neutral, it usually goes below the 700-800 mark before going back up and staying at 900. Basically, a stuttering engine, as i have come other Z's so far. I've read on this forum that this might be due to a faulty/dirty TPS or an ICV or both.

I've had this problem with the engine stalling when downshifting to the second gear and moving at a slow pace. This happens at very slow speeds.

I haven't been bothered by this too much tbh, but i recently discovered that when this happens and I pump the clutch pedal, the engine is brought to life again. Talk about mechanical CPR (sorta)

I need to know what your thoughts are as to why this would happen. I can't think of anything apart from any sensors that require replacement. Its like when you sometimes forget the car is in gear and start the car, that violent jerk because you havent held down the clutch pedal, its the same when my engine stalls when downshifting. The car forgets that i am holding down the pedal.

Thoughts appreciated. TBH I am amused by this!
'08 BMW Z4M Coupe | White | Volk Racing 18" TE37'SL alloys | 245/35/ZR18 Front 275/35/ZR18 Rear | H&R Sport springs | Fox Catback Exhaust | APR CF front splitter | Tekarbon CF trunk lip | ZHP shift knob | LED DRL etc....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I think you have a similar issue with the one discussed on other forum:
www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32043
As far as I know, that thread didn't come to a conclusion.

I am also really interested to see a definitive cause and solution to the stalling issue that some Z4M owners experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

I have the same problem regarding the pumping of the clutch.

What i normally do is reset the ECU and drive spirited and the RPM issue is solved and the engine seems in better shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
maverickdxb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRO View Post
I think you have a similar issue with the one discussed on other forum:
www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32043
As far as I know, that thread didn't come to a conclusion.

I am also really interested to see a definitive cause and solution to the stalling issue that some Z4M owners experience.
Thanks RobertRO, as you mentioned, the thread isn't conclusive. But however, got some pointers from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
I have the same problem regarding the pumping of the clutch.

What i normally do is reset the ECU and drive spirited and the RPM issue is solved and the engine seems in better shape.
glad to hear someone else has this problem. I will ask my friend about the reset.
'08 BMW Z4M Coupe | White | Volk Racing 18" TE37'SL alloys | 245/35/ZR18 Front 275/35/ZR18 Rear | H&R Sport springs | Fox Catback Exhaust | APR CF front splitter | Tekarbon CF trunk lip | ZHP shift knob | LED DRL etc....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have a stalling issue too. When I am sitting at a red light in neutral (clutch out, just foot on brake and stick in neutral) the engine will stutter sometimes and dip below idle. Its only actually stalled twice but it stutters and comes close to stalling once every day or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Mine does it sometimes. Not too often. Seems like it's happened more than once after I got off the turnpike (doing 70ish mph for about 10-15 minutes) and get to the red light just before my house. But I really can't pinpoint when and why it does it. I've never had the engine stall on me. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
maverickdxb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I have a stalling issue too. When I am sitting at a red light in neutral (clutch out, just foot on brake and stick in neutral) the engine will stutter sometimes and dip below idle. Its only actually stalled twice but it stutters and comes close to stalling once every day or two.
I hear this stuttering is common. You might have to replace your MAF sensor. I did, but its a recurring problem, limited to z4m s54's i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Mine does it sometimes. Not too often. Seems like it's happened more than once after I got off the turnpike (doing 70ish mph for about 10-15 minutes) and get to the red light just before my house. But I really can't pinpoint when and why it does it. I've never had the engine stall on me. Ever.
Its happens for me only in 1st and 2nd gear. I've had atleast 25 engine stalls so far!

But its totally manageable as long as you are in the med-high rpm range on 2nd gear while downshifting.
Appreciate 0