BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Exterior Color and Intro

Hi everyone.

New poster to forum, although a long time viewer. It's time to change the M3 (lease is up end of April) and after much research and deliberation, I'm going with the 650i Coupe. (I was considering XFR and a couple AMGs). It's amazing to me how the most expensive car on the list has the lowest lease payment. Just another indicater of the benefits of BMW ownership, not to mention that the 6 stirs me more than the others anyway.

Turns out I have to order the car to get exactly what I want. Fine for me as I would rather wait until spring so I can keep my new baby clean for more than a day (I live in snowy Michigan).

I'm pretty clear on option selections. Going for the cosmetic selections like LEDs/wheels, leather dash, ceramic controls as well as premium sound and cold weather package. Don't really care for the electronic nannies or expensive chassis upgrades. Nor do I want to spend money on the M package (although I struggled with this one) because I really do like the lines of the "base" 6. Besides it's hard to justify the $4,400. I am trying to keep the cost down.

My dilemma is color. I am certain I want the cinnamon interior with contrast stitching. So many of my past rides have had black interiors and I just want something fresh and different. Where I'm struggling is paint. Thinking about the Deep Sea Blue, but there is no way to see this color on a 6 anywhere near me. Anyone out there have this color combo? Would you post some pics please. Comments are more important, because we all know that color will be altered by our cameras and computers. My other choices are Mineral White or Black Sapphire. I've also had a lot of black cars and relish a change.

Thanks for listening and your help in advance. Nice to meet you all.

A

Last edited by Bönz; 02-13-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Your mileage may vary, but I thought the cinnamon was kind of a weird color. Not quite red, not quite brown, kind of fake looking, if that makes any sense. Of course, I went with the red leather, so my perceptions may be a bit off kilter.

We saw a deep blue 5 next to a grey 5, and my wife's comment was "With the red interior, that would look like a clown car." Maybe a bit strong, but that's how she rolls.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm pretty clear on option selections. Going for the cosmetic selections like LEDs/wheels, leather dash, ceramic controls as well as premium sound and cold weather package. Don't really care for the electronic nannies or expensive chassis upgrades. Nor do I want to spend money on the M package (although I struggled with this one) because I really do like the lines of the "base" 6. Besides it's hard to justify the $4,400. I am trying to keep the cost down.

My dilemma is color. I am certain I want the cinnamon interior with contrast stitching. So many of my past rides have had black interiors and I just want something fresh and different. Where I'm struggling is paint. Thinking about the Deep Sea Blue, but there is no way to see this color on a 6 anywhere near me. My other choices are Mineral White or Black Sapphire. I've also had a lot of black cars and relish a change.
A
Some personal remarks after I test drove 2 6-series :
- ceramic controls : find it overpriced personally
- Bang & Olufson : a complete waste, loud indeed but very low quality in my opinion, I admit I was listening to the radio.. if I listen to the radio on a B&W hifi system, it sounds nice, so if I pay that much for an audio system, it better be good and it isn't..
- M-package : I have the same personal view.. however I have to admit that the M-steering wheel is soooo much nicer to drive.. (this came as a surprise to me) so add the wheel to your configuration.. remember you'll be holding it all the time, so pretty important ;-)) The bad thing about it is that you can not combine it with an individual interior, if you would like that
- exterior colors :
-> white, see the pictures posted on this forum
-> black, looks good on every car
-> Deep Sea Blue : dark blue with a purple edge, certainly not bad..
-> Tansanit Blue : Oh My God this colour is amazing..
I saw the Deep Sea Blue and the Tansanit Blue one after another parked on an exhibit.. and I am so much in love with this colour... Can not post a picture right now.. but will asap.. you will see by your self.. I know it is expensive.. I prefer to cut on the LED if I would have to.. but this colour is just amazing on a 6 coupe..

Actually I found pictures of a Tansanit Blue 6 cabrio

Last edited by branko; 01-24-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hi Bonz and welcome to 6POST

Here are some deep sea blue with cinnamon interior photos of F10 5 series. Hopefully it'll help with your decision.

The first set of pics are from http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392340. Perhaps you can ask the owner there for more photos if you need.

Also, you can find more pics of deep sea blue in general at: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382499

And a different car:

Name:  dsb1.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  dsb2.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  dsb3.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  dsb4.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  dsb5.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  dsb6.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  dsb7.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  dsb8.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  dsb9.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  80.0 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Now I'm more uncertain. I really do like the blue, but I'm no longer sure about the cinnamon. It does appear a bit strange in these photos. I can't go ivory, since that includes ivory carpet and lower trim. What a nightmare to keep clean.

That leaves black and red. But as stated, red and blue = clown car. I think I need to see cinnamon in person.

I'm not going the individual route, even though the tanzinite blue is amazing - although I don't think it's avialable on the Coupe. Can't justify the $7,700, besides my wife would kill me - that's how she rolls.

I didn't know the M steering wheel was available as a seperate option without the full M package. It doesn't show up that way on the on-line configurator. But I work for the company that makes this steering wheel, so I can get one anyway.

I agree the cermics are over priced, but I really like the look and feel. These I've seen in person. Also, just to clarify, I'm going premium audio - not B&O. Too expensive. If I eally want to crank tunes, I sit in front of my Focus 20/20s.

Any opinion on the wood? I'm thinking the fine line oak.

Last edited by Bönz; 01-24-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
branko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going the individual route, even though the tanzinite blue is amazing - although I don't think it's avialable on the Coupe.
You are indeed right.. BMW makes some strange decisions, because in Europe I can order the coupe in Tanzinite blue..;

even more.. I can order the 'individual' Tanzinite blue color without the 'individual' interior ;-)

It seems that options differ from country to country..

For the trim I like the Alu Hexagon (not available in US ?)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

For the trim I like the Alu Hexagon (not available in US ?)[/QUOTE]

Aluminum - yes, Aluminum Hex - no, not on the 6 that I am aware of.

I guess the marketing people are trying to appease all cultures. But in the end, it just adds complexity for the BMW plant.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
My 650xi coupe is about a week out from the U.S. port, and I configured it very similar to what you described above. However, I did opt for the M Sport, mainly b/c I wanted the more aggressive look and the anthracite headliner as I went with the black interior.

I would definitely recommend the LEDs. They look amazing both during the day and at night. I saw them at the dealer the other night, and they look like nothing else on the road. I also wanted them b/c I imagine that BMW will start putting them on all of the higher-end cars as time goes on, and I plan to keep this car for a while (maybe not as important since you'll be leasing).

With regard to the inside, I too went for the Premium instead of the B&O. I love how the B&O looks, but I could not justify $5,500 (Premium Sound + $3,700) for the sound system. I'm enough of an audiophile to not slum it with stock sound, but I just could not justify the B&O system. I think the Premium is Logic7, so I'm hoping it is still pretty good quality sound.

I could not pass up the Nappa dash, contrast stitching, and black ceramic controls. The thing about this car, as I'm sure you know by now, is that everything is optional. I think that BMW really brought this car up a level in terms of what it is competing against (closer to a CL550), but only if the luxury interior items are installed. Many of the cars at my local dealership do not have the dash and the controls, and I just think they look cheap by comparison. If BMW didn't offer the dash and ceramic I might think differently, but after seeing them side-by-side I could not pass up these options (same with the LEDs).

I reluctantly skipped the Driver Assistance package but added the Head Up Display by itself. The HUD was the main thing I wanted from the package and opted to pass up the others as I don't do much highway driving and didn't think I'd use most of the others.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This review from Car and Driver has a great photo album that includes pics of the Deep Sea Blue with LEDs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
branko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I reluctantly skipped the Driver Assistance package but added the Head Up Display by itself. The HUD was the main thing I wanted from the package and opted to pass up the others as I don't do much highway driving and didn't think I'd use most of the others.

Good luck!
The Head Up Display makes you feel like piloting a military fighter plane.. at the beginning I found it very distracting ! and this while I have it on in my X6 all the time..
I am also unsure if it is not to tiring for very long rides 1.000 miles.. OK one can always switch it off or lower the intensity..

Nevertheless I can't live without it.. it actually pays for itself.. avoiding speeding tickets
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I saw the CB interior last night in a 5 series. I decided to go with it (and the DSB paint). It's abit like an American football color and I think it will look better in the smooth Nappa leather versus the more textured Dakkota. Also in the 6 the front seats are seperated by the black console. It's a nice contrast and with the contrast stitching makes for an impressive entrance to the car.

I just couldn't go with another all black interior. My wife liked it too and for those of you married, you know how important that can be.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

I have a white over cinnamon 650 vert, and after looking at these pics on my Airbook and the car in the driveway the pics don't look anything like the leather.

There was a blue/cinnamon coupe at the local dealer but it sold quickly. I've had several carbon black over cinnamon or near cinnamon bmws and all the people who saw them said it was striking. Personally, had I not just come off a carbon black 650 with saddle I would have ordered my 650 vert blue over cinnamon.

dk
      01-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I completely agree about the HUD paying for itself. The only feature that showed up on it during my test drive was the speed, and that alone in my opinion is worth the $1,300 (although I can't wait to see the nav., etc. on it). As a 22 year old male my insurance on this car is sky high (with a pristine record), so anything to help avoid tickets is important to me. I found it different, but not annoying. I think it will help with being aware of speed as it is always hovering in the line of sight. My test drive told me two things about the Driver Assistance Package: Yes to HUD and No to the rest. Blind spot detection was the main other thing that interested me (aside from just the coolness of the other stuff), and I found it to be hard to see in the daylight as the symbol is between the mirror and the car. It's probably easier to see at night, but I found it to be more distracting than anything while driving during the day. As much as I hate to admit it, GM does it right on my Denali where the symbol is on the outside edge of the mirror itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree the HUD is cool, but I couldn't justify the expense - especially since I wear polorized sun glasses.

I find the best protection from speeding tickets is a hard wired V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
danzzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F13 640i

Quote:
If it's a lease, add'l $4,400 has small impact on your monthly payment. However, it's my first time to opt out M-pkg (sports pkg on old models) on all the bimmers I've owned mainly because the front bumper looks nowhere close to the future M6/M5 (just my personal thought).

Quote:
My dilemma is color. I am certain I want the cinnamon interior with contrast stitching. So many of my past rides have had black interiors and I just want something fresh and different. Where I'm struggling is paint. Thinking about the Deep Sea Blue, but there is no way to see this color on a 6 anywhere near me. Anyone out there have this color combo?
I LOVE cinnamon interior and I would get it only if it's a leased car cuz it might take some extra effort to keep it clean and off dirt after a couple of years. I've never seen an F13 with cinnamon interior either, but I saw a few F12's with that color which looks better than black I think.
04' Space Gray Z4 2.5i

Last edited by danzzz; 01-25-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
gehmjc21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i X drive

Two questions guys.

One the full LEDs. What does this include, LED fog lights? If you don't get this package will the angel eyes look different? I'm confused, sorry!

Also, I really want to get a 6MT. But the thing that gets me in the shifter. It looks the same as my old E92, long and awkward looking. I currently have a B8 s4 6mt and the shift is short and sporty. IMHO much better to shift than the e92. Long story short, I'm looking at the 650i x drive. If I get the m sport with it come with a short shift package?
F10 550xi retired
F01 750xi
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The angel eyes on the non-Full LEDs are still the newer LED (whiter) halos (like the 5 Series) if I remember correctly from my test drive which did not have the Full LEDs. The LED foglights are standard per the "Features & Specs" on BMWUSA.com.

If you haven't seen the Full LEDs in person, you really should. They are beautiful day and night, and they are one of the most defining features of the car if equipped with them. The price is steep, but I think they make a huge difference in the look of the car. Also, BMW just launched the X6 M50d with the Full LEDs (see this link: http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/01/26/wo...e-automobiles/). I think this shows that the higher-end models going forward will be equipped with them. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #18
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehmjc21 View Post
Two questions guys.

One the full LEDs. What does this include, LED fog lights? If you don't get this package will the angel eyes look different? I'm confused, sorry!

Also, I really want to get a 6MT. But the thing that gets me in the shifter. It looks the same as my old E92, long and awkward looking. I currently have a B8 s4 6mt and the shift is short and sporty. IMHO much better to shift than the e92. Long story short, I'm looking at the 650i x drive. If I get the m sport with it come with a short shift package?

LED fog lights are standard. The LED package has a completely different look altogether. The angle eyes are "3D" and there's an "eyebrow" of sorts that flattens the rings at the top. They are also flattened a bit at the bottom by the LED turn indicator light bar.

I can't speak about the MT regarding feel, but I've read it is one of BMWs best. However, in the US, it is not available with X drive. IMO the 8 speed auto is more in character with this car (no flame please). I read on this forum that the plastic trim around the MT stick is not very attractive and seems cheap. For this kind of decision I recommend you find an MT car and drive it, even if it's a 640, just to check out the tranny. M Sport package is just cosmetic (body panels, steering wheel, road wheels and headliner). It doesn't add or change anything mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The M Sport's exhaust on the 650s is tuned slight differently and results in a much better sound. I know that it is not listed on any of the BMWNA specs regarding the package, but if you listen to them side-by-side you can hear a huge difference. Someone in another forum recently confirmed that the exhaust systems have the same parts but they tinkered with the M Sport to make them sound more aggressive. See the links below for more on this debate.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596612
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590624
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
gehmjc21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i X drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehmjc21 View Post
Two questions guys.

LED fog lights are standard. The LED package has a completely different look altogether. The angle eyes are "3D" and there's an "eyebrow" of sorts that flattens the rings at the top. They are also flattened a bit at the bottom by the LED turn indicator light bar.

I can't speak about the MT regarding feel, but I've read it is one of BMWs best. However, in the US, it is not available with X drive. IMO the 8 speed auto is more in character with this car (no flame please). I read on this forum that the plastic trim around the MT stick is not very attractive and seems cheap. For this kind of decision I recommend you find an MT car and drive it, even if it's a 640, just to check out the tranny. M Sport package is just cosmetic (body panels, steering wheel, road wheels and headliner). It doesn't add or change anything mechanical.
Wait they don't offer 6MT in the 650xi?! That stinks - maybe 2013?

Btw I haven't seen these LEDs! I love my s4 LEDs but I do miss angel eyes :-)
F10 550xi retired
F01 750xi
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
The M Sport's exhaust on the 650s is tuned slight differently and results in a much better sound. I know that it is not listed on any of the BMWNA specs regarding the package, but if you listen to them side-by-side you can hear a huge difference. Someone in another forum recently confirmed that the exhaust systems have the same parts but they tinkered with the M Sport to make them sound more aggressive. See the links below for more on this debate.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596612
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590624
There's been a lot of conjecture on this. However, according to people in the know from BMW NA the exhaust tuning for the F12/F13 MSport and NON-Msport in the North American market is the same. There may be slight variations from vehicle to vehicle but thats about it.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes !! Just confirmed my car is complete and ready for ground transport to "Bimmer-Heaven" Ain't anticipation great?
Appreciate 0