XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
zman1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6,X5M

X5M stone chips - thoughts

So I have been going back and forth with the dealer on this stone chip issue that the X5M owners all know about. The dealer just wanted to paint the area and apply the clear bra to it. I want them to replace the parts and apply the clear bra to them. my car is a 2012 and only has 2,000 miles on it. I mean for a 100K+ car, I would think new parts is the way to go. My other fear is when I trade it in one day, the dealer will say.......Oh your car had paint work done, that devalues it.

what are your thoughts on this from the owners that have been through this already

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1 View Post
So I have been going back and forth with the dealer on this stone chip issue that the X5M owners all know about. The dealer just wanted to paint the area and apply the clear bra to it. I want them to replace the parts and apply the clear bra to them. my car is a 2012 and only has 2,000 miles on it. I mean for a 100K+ car, I would think new parts is the way to go. My other fear is when I trade it in one day, the dealer will say.......Oh your car had paint work done, that devalues it.

what are your thoughts on this from the owners that have been through this already

thanks
Not sure why you would replace the parts? They will be painted as well. I would avoid at all cost having new parts put on.
Just have them repainted if its that bad and apply the clear. Thsi is a widely documented situation with the M's as you state above, Why didn't you have the clear put on before the 2,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
cybervinn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 M  [9.62]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
Not sure why you would replace the parts? They will be painted as well. I would avoid at all cost having new parts put on.
Just have them repainted if its that bad and apply the clear. Thsi is a widely documented situation with the M's as you state above, Why didn't you have the clear put on before the 2,000 miles?
With the replacement parts, he can have them painted by dealer; wait the month (or more) for the paint to cure, install parts, then have the PPF applied. He can still drive his x5 with the damaged parts while he waits for dealer.

Otherwise just having his vehicle parts repainted, he still run the risk of getting it damaged driving again around while waiting for the paint to cure before he can apply the PPF. Or the dealer can keep his x5 for time the paint cures on his original parts while giving the customer a loaner for the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
zman1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6,X5M

just what was said above.......I do not want to have them painted then run the risk of damage again. I didn't k now about this issue until a few weeks ago from this forum.

the dealer is fighting me on the new parts and they say they will only have my car a week for the paint and clear bra.......
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
So I have been going back and forth with the dealer on this stone chip issue that the X5M owners all know about. The dealer just wanted to paint the area and apply the clear bra to it. I want them to replace the parts and apply the clear bra to them. my car is a 2012 and only has 2,000 miles on it. I mean for a 100K car, I would think new parts is the way to go. My other fear is when I trade it in one day, the dealer will say.......Oh your car had paint work done, that devalues it.

thanks
I had my 3M placed as soon as I took delivery of my X5. Since I read throughout these posts that the chips start immediately. Since I spent so much on my X I wanted to protect it from the start. I would recommend 14mm thick 3m on the front and rear fender flares and on the lower section of the doors from the door guard down. I also did the rear quarter panel behind the rear tires. Also did 8mm across the entire front. Spent $1,400 and took all day to apply. End result after 3,000 miles, car still looks like brand new with no chips, paint film shiny, new and intact. I'd also recommend taking the sticky summer tires off. They grab everything on the road and spray the side of your car with it. I went with an all season. Still have great handling and performance, without destroying my paint.
      12-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Here's the link to my post with pics:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580795
      12-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:

thanks
Is it a lease? If it is I wouldn't worry too much about getting a top notch repair because you will end up just giving it back at the end of the lease term and get something better, assuming you want better which is m5/m6 I guess.

Also can you post some pics please? I've had my x5m for about 16k miles now and I cant really tell if these stone chips are present.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Also keep in mind the paint has to let the gases escape for up to one month before the 14 mil is applied to fenders or you run the risk of air bubbles under film...seen it before.
      12-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Also keep in mind the paint has to let the gases escape for up to one month before the 14 mil is applied to fenders or you run the risk of air bubbles under film...seen it before.
What about if they bake the paint in a curer? I ask because i was in an accident last night and now the front and side of my car has to be painted. The body shop told me two days and they can re apply the 3M because they bake the parts painted.