BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Good Suspension-basics link

I searched and did not see any posts here to this, so here is something that I hope you all find interesting !.....

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Suspension

As an aside, I am still doing research on whether changing the subframe bushings would be a positive or negative on the uneven highways here in the northeast. Certainly for track use they make sense, but I'm not so sure for handling the undulations (that I never "knew" existed on highways before putting in the coilovers). Despite many posts I have read here, in discussions I've had with local experts shops, they indicate that making the suspension in any way stiffer will just cause more transmission of the uneven road surfaces as motion to the body. What I read in the link seems to support that view
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

If you're contemplating subframe bushings, do it.

I grew up in the east PA. Potholes suck. Your bushings will not save you from a pothole.

The real difference between the stock bushings and the m3 ones is not the stiffness, it's the core or rubber joining the two parts together. The stock bushings have an inner ring of rubber, an outer ring of rubber and 4 rubber links between the inner and outer cores. The stock bushings will work properly when a load is applied front/back, left/right, but not at any angle that is not perfectly perpendicular or parallel to the orientation of the bushing (90 degree increments). There is essentially zero support to keep the subframe from moving related to the frame in those directions. Thus allowing the inner ring to move significantly in the outer ring of rubber in the bushing. The M3 bushings a lot of us have been swapping are solid cores of rubber. They provide appropriate cushioning in any direction and the subframe is constrained in all dimensions to the body. This provides significantly higher feeling of control as the subframe is now connected to your butt dyno and cant move freely in certain directions that vary by the orientation by which your bushings were installed. Think of it this way, the inner circle of rubber can no longer move freely and always wants to stay centered in the outer circle. This will actually prolong the useful life of your suspension components as they no longer have to account for the extreme angles the stock suspension allowed. Your shocks and springs which also connect between the frame and subframe will be positioned closer to their neutral position and always move up/down.

In short answer, do the change. Your suspension will actually thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
In my opinion, there is no way the same person could prefer TC Kline springs & dampers to stock but not prefer M3 rear subframe bushings to stock.

adding: To be clear, I think you should either convert to M3 bushings or put the stock springs back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
In my opinion, there is no way the same person could prefer TC Kline springs & dampers to stock but not prefer M3 rear subframe bushings to stock.

adding: To be clear, I think you should either convert to M3 bushings or put the stock springs back on.
GaryS:
Well, that's not really helpful. Aa a point of reference, i run in advanced groups at driving schools. I relish passing beginner drivers in their porsche. GT3s and Nissan GTRs. I understand tradeoffs betweem track and street. I know the M3 bushings would be a huge benefit on the track. I am not yet convinced that it is worth spending over a thousand dollars to swap bushings based on the research I've done so far. I am OK with the street ride, but as a typical 1addict, I obsess over that last incremental enhancment. I would gladly experiment and give the M3 bushings a try, if it was a $200 price tag
Can you provide a more detailed before and after explanation?
i looked through your old posts, but did not find anything
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In short answer, do the change. Your suspension will actually thank you.[/QUOTE]

This makes sense to me on the track. As far as street use, here is another way to think about it(not my original thought). Many race setups run 1000 lb spring rates. If you were to run this setup on a highway with any uneven surface at any high speed, you would literally be bounced off the road.Even/especially with racing bushings.

So, I've read numerous posts on how the M3 subframe bushings eliminate "bounce", but not clear that this is an observation of track or autocross dynamics, wherethe suspension is reacting under a full load, as opposed to the lower load experienced just going over uneven road surfaces.

Last edited by 3liter1; 12-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

are we talking about the bushings that cost $270 on hpashop? where is the $1000 price tag coming from?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

what are these m3 bushings people talk about? and where can i cop some haha b/c I totally do feel the bounce in the rear.

Any links?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I called TC KLine about the bushings

I spoke to Eric who was involved in the work they did that was reported in the Bimmerworld article. Eric is happy to speak to anyone with questions.He is at the Ohio location. He reported that the issues they found with the bushings were encountered in situations where the rear suspension is under load, especially when putting on power on corner exits. He also mentioned that the shortcoming was more evident when they tested the 135, which has more power. My concern was more in terms of the suspensions ability to attenuate "bounce" at a constant velocity over uneven road surfaces (not potholes). He felt this would not be improved by stiffer subframe bushings. Rather he suggested adjusting the rebound rate of the damper in 1/4 turn increments.
So in summary, I want to put the word out to make sure that those considering this change do so with full information as to where the benefits will really be
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
are we talking about the bushings that cost $270 on hpashop? where is the $1000 price tag coming from?
at least 5 hours of installation
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
I spoke to Eric who was involved in the work they did that was reported in the Bimmerworld article. Eric is happy to speak to anyone with questions.He is at the Ohio location. He reported that the issues they found with the bushings were encountered in situations where the rear suspension is under load, especially when putting on power on corner exits. He also mentioned that the shortcoming was more evident when they tested the 135, which has more power. My concern was more in terms of the suspensions ability to attenuate "bounce" at a constant velocity over uneven road surfaces (not potholes). He felt this would not be improved by stiffer subframe bushings. Rather he suggested adjusting the rebound rate of the damper in 1/4 turn increments.
So in summary, I want to put the word out to make sure that those considering this change do so with full information as to where the benefits will really be

Good info. In my opinion, any real enthusiast / track addicts should get 1 1///m or wait for M2. More than 4k on 128/135's suspension work is really spoiled.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

The M3 bushings really REALLY make a difference. If you drive spiritedly, as I do on my local backroads, or track your car at all, then you'll appreciate the bushing swap. When the car is "set" in a hard, fast turn, the stock bushings have the rear end bouncing and wiggling around, very unsettling. I felt unsafe driving my car fast, especially on bumpy backroads. The back end is basically all over the place. The stock bushings also allowed the rear suspension to shudder after hitting potholes, manhole covers,, anything that was harsh caused the rear to shudder, and this was very uncomfortable.

Especially if you use stiffer springs and coilovers, you need the M3 bushings, as then the forces are more transmitted to the bushings before the suspension begins to work, and the back end gets even more bouncy.

I was really unhappy with my 135 suspension when I first got it. A new sports car shouldn't feel this way, but after installing the M3 bushings and coilovers/springs I am very much enjoying my 135 much more now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
The M3 bushings really REALLY make a difference. If you drive spiritedly, as I do on my local backroads, or track your car at all, then you'll appreciate the bushing swap. When the car is "set" in a hard, fast turn, the stock bushings have the rear end bouncing and wiggling around, very unsettling. I felt unsafe driving my car fast, especially on bumpy backroads. The back end is basically all over the place. The stock bushings also allowed the rear suspension to shudder after hitting potholes, manhole covers,, anything that was harsh caused the rear to shudder, and this was very uncomfortable.

Especially if you use stiffer springs and coilovers, you need the M3 bushings, as then the forces are more transmitted to the bushings before the suspension begins to work, and the back end gets even more bouncy.

I was really unhappy with my 135 suspension when I first got it. A new sports car shouldn't feel this way, but after installing the M3 bushings and coilovers/springs I am very much enjoying my 135 much more now.
This makes sense to me. I will see after a track day in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
Good info. In my opinion, any real enthusiast / track addicts should get 1 1///m or wait for M2. More than 4k on 128/135's suspension work is really spoiled.
i disagree. i bought my car used, its easier for me to justify 10 grand in mods, than to buy a newer car for 30 grand more. especially when i will be able to run laps around the newer car.

then again, priorities are going to depend on the person.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i disagree. i bought my car used, its easier for me to justify 10 grand in mods, than to buy a newer car for 30 grand more. especially when i will be able to run laps around the newer car.

then again, priorities are going to depend on the person.
Yep, i heard from a German that 1///m is way over priced in your country after tax.

have fun with this cute baby.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
Yep, i heard from a German that 1///m is way over priced in your country after tax.

have fun with this cute baby.
im american, im just stationed here. i got a sweet ass deal on my car though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
im american, im just stationed here. i got a sweet ass deal on my car though.
ok, fellow. be safe back to home!
Appreciate 0