BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

BMW Courtesy Delivery

I like many others was not able to secure a 1M at my local dealer, I did find one at another dealer and I'm happy that I did. Here's the issue, my local dealer told me about BMW courtesy delivery, which simply put is I pay a fee to have my car shipped to my local dealer and that's where I pick it up etc.

Long story short, the dealer I'm ordering my car from tells me I "have" to pick it up at their dealership?? I don't have a trade and I will not be financing, I'm thinking this is complete BS, also the dealer I ordered from is only getting 1 1M, perhaps they are trying to use this for their own marketing/sales?

Any suggestions??
      10-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
I just did the BMW BS courtesy delivery, paid 1,000 to the local dealership here at IA. My CA did not make ANY profit from this, but all to the pocket of local dealership. So what are they going to do (i have not get delivery yet) for this easy 1,000? Simply let the car park in their lot for a day to wait for me. I hope i get time to drive it from Florida but really not afford two days loss for my work. BS.

I understand what me local dealer will do, what I don't get is how the dealer that I'm buying the car from can say "we decided you need to pick the car up here". If courtesy delivery is a common practice it seems like I should have no issues.
      10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I understand what me local dealer will do, what I don't get is how the dealer that I'm buying the car from can say "we decided you need to pick the car up here". If courtesy delivery is a common practice it seems like I should have no issues.
Can you opt for PCD and would it get you any closer. This way, it takes it completely out of the hands of both dealers.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
My recommendation is, if you can afford 3-4 days' loss of work, then fly down and drive back. Cheap first, fun most important, finish the break-in.

I guess they might want to take a look at your 1///M, since this might be the ONLY one to this dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Perfect scenario for a fly in and drive home. Make a vacation outta it.

I'd love that situation
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I would think "courtesy" would imply "discounted" or "free of charge" or something along the spectrum of gratis in general.
      10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

If they won't allow courtesy delivery as you call it and you can't pick up just have it transported. I recommend Inner City lines. I've never used them but have heard countless good reports of their work. Its an enclosed hualer car transport company that specializes in high end vehicles. I think you will be surprised how reasonable it is to transport too. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

I tell you what I think... check drive by the local dealership, rock chips, and a whole lotta people touching the car that you will neve know. I chose PDC as it is just 1.5 hours away from my home, then straight to the stable where nothing can happen without my consent.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Btw OP, how long would the drive be from the dealer you purchased it from.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Greed is Good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Btw OP, how long would the drive be from the dealer you purchased it from.
Mike:

How appropriate you ask the question...I live in Chicago and the dealer I'm buying from is Newbold BMW in O'Fallon! The distance is not a real issue, it's too close to make a mini vacation out of it and too far to have a friend drop me off.

I'm more concerned with my car being test driven, and the ride back without paint protection.

I spoke with the sales manager and found out the "real" reason he said...."If you don't pick the car up here you wont get to experience our hospitality"....so in his mind being hospitable is making me pay for transportation to the dealer.

I eventually got to the bottom line, they're unhappy I bought the car with no mark-up. They're unhappy I'm not trading my car in, no chance to make $$ on that, they are unhappy I'm not financing, and if they do the PDI they get to charge BMW for the time it takes to prep my car, a couple of hours worth of labor.

So the bottom line is being greedy makes good business sense....Apparently they never thought about how an unhappy customer is going to sound in their dealership when I come to pick up my car.

I am trying to see if PDC is available however my car is due to port on Friday, probably too late for that.

My local dealer is trying to make this happen too, BMW consumer service doesn't really have a say in this because the dealer in independently owned.

Hopefully the dealer owner Kent Newbold will realize that this is not good customer service.

More to follow....
      10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Mike:

How appropriate you ask the question...I live in Chicago and the dealer I'm buying from is Newbold BMW in O'Fallon! The distance is not a real issue, it's too close to make a mini vacation out of it and too far to have a friend drop me off.

I'm more concerned with my car being test driven, and the ride back without paint protection.

I spoke with the sales manager and found out the "real" reason he said...."If you don't pick the car up here you wont get to experience our hospitality"....so in his mind being hospitable is making me pay for transportation to the dealer.

I eventually got to the bottom line, they're unhappy I bought the car with no mark-up. They're unhappy I'm not trading my car in, no chance to make $$ on that, they are unhappy I'm not financing, and if they do the PDI they get to charge BMW for the time it takes to prep my car, a couple of hours worth of labor.

So the bottom line is being greedy makes good business sense....Apparently they never thought about how an unhappy customer is going to sound in their dealership when I come to pick up my car.

I am trying to see if PDC is available however my car is due to port on Friday, probably too late for that.

My local dealer is trying to make this happen too, BMW consumer service doesn't really have a say in this because the dealer in independently owned.

Hopefully the dealer owner Kent Newbold will realize that this is not good customer service.

More to follow....
Cool....you got the Newbold allocation. I'm only 10 minutes from them, but I'm deployed to Tampa right now. I've never had any experience with them, but the BMW owners on base would rather drive to STL for autohaus.

Regarding paint protection, you can have it done by Mark in STL. He's only about 30 min from Newbold. His contact info is below and if you stay the night, I'm sure he'll house the car for you. I've had 2 vehicles done by him and another forum member (dwildone) just had his tint and clearbra done. Another 2 members have also had his work done. The 1M will eventually make it's way to him. I think it takes about 4 hours to complete and I believe he's also open on Sat.

Mark is badass and very meticulous. You rarely find people who truly love what they do like he does. Tell him Mike Williams sent you and he'll roll out the red carpet.

http://www.ultrashieldofstl.com/protection.html
BMWCCA #454364

Last edited by mikewills; 10-12-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Cool....you got the Newbold allocation. I'm only 10 minutes from them, but I'm deployed to Tampa right now. I've never had any experience with them, but the BMW owners on base would rather drive to STL for autohaus.

Regarding paint protection, you can have it done by Mark in STL. He's only about 30 min from Newbold. His contact info is below and if you stay the night, I'm sure he'll house the car for you. I've had 2 vehicles done by him and another forum member (dwildone) just had his tint and clearbra done. Another 2 members have also had his work done. The 1M will eventually make it's way to him. I think it takes about 4 hours to complete and I believe he's also open on Sat.

Mark is badass and very meticulous. You rarely find people who truly love what they do like he does. Tell him Mike Williams sent you and he'll roll out the red carpet.

http://www.ultrashieldofstl.com/protection.html
Thanks for the tip!!!
      10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

"Courtesy Delivery" is a courtesy between dealers and not between the dealer and customer. I have had the same situation in the past and some of the dealers are just asses.

I agree with the others, I would try to work out the trip on my own - don't give anyone any opportunity to screw with your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post
"Courtesy Delivery" is a courtesy between dealers and not between the dealer and customer. I have had the same situation in the past and some of the dealers are just asses.

I agree with the others, I would try to work out the trip on my own - don't give anyone any opportunity to screw with your car.

Yeah Kent Newbold is being an ass, it's understanding why locals go to other dealers in the STL area. I guess they feel a need to kick and scratch for every penny they can make...I will most certainly pick up the car.
      10-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Mike:

More to follow....
what is a little bit of inconvenience when you should be counting yourself fortunate to get your hands on one. we have seen stories of dealers reneging on orders. gotta to hope the dealership hasn't seen your posts on here. you have also told everyone where there's a new 1M which is yet to be delivered and with a dealer who's looking for extra $$ over what you have offered.

Last edited by david.orr; 10-12-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
what is a little bit of inconvenience when you should be counting yourself fortunate to get your hands on one. we have seen stories of dealers reneging on orders. gotta to hope the dealership hasn't seen your posts on here. you have also told everyone where there's a new 1M which is yet to be delivered and with a dealer who's looking for extra $$ over what you have offered.
I haven't "offered" anything, the car is mine, I have a sales contract, production confirmation with sold status etc., etc.... It's more about customer service. Thanks for the support.
      10-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Are you flying down? If I wasn't in Tampa, I'd offer up a ride from the airport or the nearest metrolink stop.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
ESC OFF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are you flying down? If I wasn't in Tampa, I'd offer up a ride from the airport or the nearest metrolink stop.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that! Yeah I'll be flying down. My only issue is with business travel my schedule is always in limbo. Soon enough we'll have our cars!
      10-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #19
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Most dealerships, particularly those owned by large automotive groups, will not mail closing sale documents for you to sign, nor ship a new car to a customer. There are legal reasons why they have these policies, mainly because in most states unless the buyer "drives it off the lot" there are laws of recission that give the buyers (usually) three days to unwind a sale contract. These do not come into play if the transaction is made at the sellers place of business; the dealership. As for the paperwork, closing the deal at the dealership can protect them from later claims of fraud, identity theft, etc. In addition, if the deal ever resulted in a lawsuit, the suit would be filed in the county of the dealership, not the buyer's location. This gives the dealer a "home-field" advantage, as well as making it a hassle for the buyer if he wants to sue the dealer.

BMW will do a courtesy delivery on a ED car coming to the states, but since the deal was closed 60 days prior and the buyer already owns the car these issues are irrelevent.

Or, it might just be that your dealer wants to extend to you his legendary hospitality!

Last edited by josephvman; 10-13-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:

It's not that dealers particularly want to be asses, but there are all sorts of scenarios that a courtesy delivery, which pays them virtually nothing, open them up to. What if the car is delivered and is damaged in transport, but the damage is missed when when the car is checked over by the receiving dealer? It happens, all the time. Selling dealer isn't going to pay for it; trucking company isn't going to pay for it....What happens if the transporter is involved in an accident (it also happens) and turns out not to have insurance? The courtesy delivery dealer is now in the middle of a mess, and will likely be party to a lawsuit. There is basically no upside for the dealer doing the courtesy delivery, and plenty of downside.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Is courtesy delivery via enclosed trailer? I believe its open carrier in which case I would do all I could to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:

this is an important point to reiterate. "courtesy" is between the dealers, not to you. If you are a frequent customer, or friend of the sales manager for example, the courtesy delivery could be free! Ive read about. If you are a once in a while customer the delivery will likely cost something ($250-$500??). But, if you are nobody to them, you will pay. Apparently, you were quoted $1000.

I did some digging on the subject as I am (was) in similar situation. I got frustrated by the fact that I had NO SAY in the negotiation between the dealers. When I called my local dealer(s), all they would say is "have your CA call us (dial tone)".

Then I heard about a little secret. BMW of Manhattan is a BMW-owned dealership. ITs possible to have courtesy delivery there for free. I called BMW of manhattan and got the same "have your CA call us" routine. Not sure if Manhattan is a viable vacation alternative...

I opted for PCD. Keeping all dealers out of the equation. I have to fly to Carolina and drive home, but Im OK with that.

I dont want to scare you, OP, but there was a recent story on the "other forum" about a guy who did ED, then redelivery to the dealer whom he bought it from (500 miles from home). He then paid to have it trucked home (like, his driveway). The trucker strapped the car down too tight, chassis crack, doesnt drive right, nobody taking responsibility, lawsuits, messy. My point: either keep it "all BMW" delivery or go pick it up and drive it home yourself.

Work on that PCD with your CA, I hear its a blast!

Good luck

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0