BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Finally joined the DSC off club

So yesterday at NJMP Lightning, I finally decided to turn my DSC completely off since I felt it kicking in a lot more than I had remembered. Problem is, I've been driving a Miata all season and forgot there are actually throttle positions are between "off" and "WOT". Results can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/okterrif.../0/qY2OD_M9R80

I did eventually get the hang of it and posted my best time ever at Lightning, a 1:20:229.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

any mods on your suspension, tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hahahaa... gotta work on those steering inputs. Too slow to catch the tail! lol Nice job/video.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
It goes against instincts but if you hadn't lift off the throttle you may have saved it but a good try anyway
      09-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

RimasRS: the suspension is all stock, not even the alignment pin mod. tires are 245/40/17 kumho XS on all 4 corners.

Pixelblue: It's hard to remember exactly what my feet were doing, but I think I did lift a little at first, then my Miata instincts kicked in and I got back on the gas, either too much or too late, probably both. Live and learn. That was the first time spinning on track, but at least I keep my record of never leaving the track. For now at least, lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I think your fronts is to wide comparing with rears which could cause understeer IMO oem suspension of this car balanced to go stagered setup especially hitting cornering limits. Other you transfered the weight of the back maybe to fast from right to left turn.
But feeling should be good
Good that there was no damage to your 1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Its great you got it on video !!!

not for nothing, but you controlled the car after the spin. that is just as important as you saw the Volvo that you passed be right there on top of you. ( that volvo was fast wasnt it ) although facing in the wrong direction, you came to a controld stop, you didnt seem to be paniced, restarted, and off you went..

LOL i only have video of me mowing the lawn... for some reason i tend to keep the car pointed in the foward direction !!!

DSC off is now the only way btw... It took me 3 events to go DSC/DTC full off.. Im ok with it now... its fun.
      09-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Kept it on track, no harm done to the car, cool to see it on video. I don't have much experience (9 track days so far), but if I can offer one piece of "back-seat" advice that you may already know (without trying to sound like an expert here - I'm far from it!), it would be to get used to coming to a complete stop when you spin. It looked like you may have rolled to get to the edge of the track since you were already close to the edge - a completely normal instinct when cars are coming at you - I may have done the same in the heat of the moment. But it's safer to stop completely, even if you are dead center of the track, as cars can anticipate where they need to go to avoid you better than if you continue rolling. (I'm sure there are exceptions to this.) I'd imagine the Volvo would've cleared you much quicker if you had held the brakes and stopped dead, as he wouldn't have been as nervous about potential directions you were going to move.

Glad to see more track junkies. Lightning is a really smooth and flowing course that exceeded my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

advice:
in the future, you should indicate to the flagger that you're OK and intend to rejoin traffic before moving. this is usually done with a "thumbs up" or a love sign (thumb, pointer and pinky extended). don't move until the flagger acknowledges your signal and indicates for you to continue.

your hands were too aggressive on turn-in, and could be a little quicker on correction, as some people said. your initial reaction time is important, as well as the amount of steering input. it looks like a poorly timed lift caused the spin. be a little more progressive with the throttle, and when you feel the back end coming around like that (i know it's counter-intuitive), keep your foot in it. the abrupt lift unweights the rear and puts you backwards. this is all stuff that will become intuitive with more (DSC off) track time.

you'll also want to "put 2 feet in" when you spin... clutch and brake on the floor immediately. this prevents you from stalling the car, and will help you avoid rolling backwards after the spin (which can be extremely dangerous if/when it happens perpendicular to the track, re-crossing traffic).

kudos:
i like that your eyes are up and your head's on a swivel as soon as you realize you've lost it. good job. congrats on looping your car in a safe environment to no consequence! it sounds stupid, but you'll never get fast without at least a few spins.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 09-07-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the advice. I totally forgot about signaling to the flaggers. Once I got myself turned around, I saw the other flagger give a thumbs up and I gave a wave and a thumbs up back to let him know I was OK. Good point about coming to a stop right away. I didnt realize how much I rolled backward. My first instinct was to pull off the track completely and out of the way, then I saw the line of cars coming in a nice orderly fashion, so I figured I was safe where I was. I hear what your saying about staying put though, so the other drivers know where to go without worrying where I'm going to move.

I wish i had a data logger, its hard to remember what I was doing, but this lap I was trying to apex that left a little later, turned in too late, then tried to compensate with too much steering input.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

you can't find an invisible limit without overstepping it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

While there are some seasoned track rats in here to help me go faster, here's a clip of my fastest that lap that day. I'm surprised this was my fastest lap even with the little bobble at turn 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWwZYItbIUw

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr View Post
While there are some seasoned track rats in here to help me go faster, here's a clip of my fastest that lap that day. I'm surprised this was my fastest lap even with the little bobble at turn 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWwZYItbIUw
YOU WERE SMOOTH... also if i am am not mistaken straight up on the speedo on a 135 is 80mph no ?? if so you were doing an indicated 80 mph in the "lightbulb"... the best i could do or did, was 75 ish.. your corner exit speed is great... something i just never get to experience..

boys and girls thats what a 2.0 second differencve looks like ...
      09-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I do remember seeing 75ish in the middle of the lightbulb, but I wasn't looking each lap. I know my Miata will easily do 80, but takes much longer to accelerate out. In fact, I think the Miata is faster through every corner, lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

that's an extremely clean lap. i love it!
Appreciate 0