ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
rmartin3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0SI Coupe

bmw performance brakes

Hello everyone. I have been a reader of these forums for the last couple months after I bought an 08 Z4 3.0 Si coupe. Since then I have been searching for brake upgrades for the car. My question after a lot of searching is if bmw 135i performance brakes will fit our cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I am wondering the same thing.. Saw them at Kuni BMW on Friday. Forgot to get part numbers and prices...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
IronZ4M
First Class M
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe, E36 Coupe

Garage List
A Good thread to post actually. I was searching along for this subject and I discovered that you could install them but you have to use another caliber bracket which some of the companies made after market one but noticed also that people is suffering from that Brombo BMW Performance Kit that some of them has crack on the pistons of the caliber and that happened due track use donno if would be good to use them as a daily use drive?

guys more advice from your experience with the Brake Systems

'07 Z4MC l Alpine White l Supersprint Race Exhaust l Supersprint X Pipe l OEM Carbon fiber Spoiler l H&R Springs l Vossen VF051 l G-Power SK I 415 rwhp l RPI Scoop l ///M Performance Knop.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

lol have been working on retrofitting them for a bit now

you will have to adapt the rears as well, or you will really screw your brake bias up.

the 135I calipers are the same as the bmw performance brake kit, personally i prefer the 135I brake calipers.

you have to change quite a bit, but that will all be shown later when completed.
also the stock caliper carriers will have to be modified in order to make fit.

as for the pistons craking their is a new part for them that are much better and wont crack, as for daily driver they will be fine but if you plan on tracking it youll have to upgrade the pistons.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

^^^ quite true.

dubbedown posted a link a few days ago for ecstuning that shows a kit of the front for e46's. the non-///m z4 3.0si has the exact same setup up front that the e46 330i cars do... knuckles, arms, bushings, etc... getting the perf caliper to fit seems pretty staight forward, but bias is definitely messed with a bit.

getting the rear to fit is an entirely different gig. the z4 3.0si has its own trailing arm, the upper cntl arm from an e46 330i, the lower cntl arm from an e83, and a rear brg and hub that was designed for the euro e90 4-cyls (which was then used for the pre-LCI e90's here in the states). unfortunately, just switching to e46 330i rear brakes won't work due to how the caliper and rear backing plate sit in relation to the depth of the rotor hat. switching out the entire rear trailing arm would work, except that the e46 uses a larger diameter rear cv shaft, so now the stock shaft doesn't fit. the z4 3.0si also has its own rear rotors, so it's not even possible to use e46 325ci rear rotors (also due to the difference in rotor hat depth).

the rear is definitely a mess.

an interesting turn is this though...

the e85/6 non-///m's use the same brake master cylinder as an e46 330i, and use the same DSC hydraulic module and pump that the e85/6 ///m's do. it seems to me, that as long as the actual programming of the DSC modules are the same between all the z models (///m and non-///m), the regular z4's can absolutely handle larger brakes in back without too much fuss bias-wise (as long as you're also increasing the bias up front at the same time), because the e85/6 and e46 weigh in very similarly. the big issue is just getting the damn things to fit.
      09-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.0si View Post
^^^ quite true.

dubbedown posted a link a few days ago for ecstuning that shows a kit of the front for e46's. the non-///m z4 3.0si has the exact same setup up front that the e46 330i cars do... knuckles, arms, bushings, etc... getting the perf caliper to fit seems pretty staight forward, but bias is definitely messed with a bit.

getting the rear to fit is an entirely different gig. the z4 3.0si has its own trailing arm, the upper cntl arm from an e46 330i, the lower cntl arm from an e83, and a rear brg and hub that was designed for the euro e90 4-cyls (which was then used for the pre-LCI e90's here in the states). unfortunately, just switching to e46 330i rear brakes won't work due to how the caliper and rear backing plate sit in relation to the depth of the rotor hat. switching out the entire rear trailing arm would work, except that the e46 uses a larger diameter rear cv shaft, so now the stock shaft doesn't fit. the z4 3.0si also has its own rear rotors, so it's not even possible to use e46 325ci rear rotors (also due to the difference in rotor hat depth).

the rear is definitely a mess.

an interesting turn is this though...

the e85/6 non-///m's use the same brake master cylinder as an e46 330i, and use the same DSC hydraulic module and pump that the e85/6 ///m's do. it seems to me, that as long as the actual programming of the DSC modules are the same between all the z models (///m and non-///m), the regular z4's can absolutely handle larger brakes in back without too much fuss bias-wise (as long as you're also increasing the bias up front at the same time), because the e85/6 and e46 weigh in very similarly. the big issue is just getting the damn things to fit.
that is the long version of what i was getting at in the other thread, it's just alot of work to get something that wasn't meant to fit, to fit. don't get me wrong, that's part of modding and why it's so fun but there comes a point where i'd rather just upgrade to better pads/lines/fluid to acheive the same (or better) benefits with no fitment issues. if i want the bling and benefits, i'll save up and get stoptech front and rears.

but for all intents and purposes, the front brakes are off an e46 330i, the rears are off non-m, non-330 e46 (ie 323/5). but again, the 1-series performance brake kit is going to mess with bias, and not to mention you're not getting the benefits of a larger rotor for that caliper. you're still sticking to the same size rotor you have now so you really have to do your cost/benefit analysis on this mod.

oh yea at the risk of stating the obvious, should you do this conversion, remember to order front pads from a 135i =)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
rmartin3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0SI Coupe

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like to much work, I might just do the stoptech slotted and drilled rotor and pad up upgrade or willwood brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin3 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like to much work, I might just do the stoptech slotted and drilled rotor and pad up upgrade or willwood brakes.
If you go Wilwood shop from Massive Brakes, stay away from UUC.
      09-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

well what i have in the works right now is the 135I calipers and new rotors and lines and caliper carriers. the rears will also be made different all in all the end result will be pretty sweet and the best part is from how im making this work the whole kit and kabootale will cost depending on how hard you look will cost less than a grand. and look super hot.

but this project just like the dual exhaust project and 3 stage manifold project will take some time to finish as my day job doesnt give me much time to invest.

like its been said before its really not any new news just not really done around here before on any grand scale.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

Im wondering about this too. And after seeing the setup in the link below Im really interested if its possible.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
      09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

i wont be able to finish this modification till sometime in december when the car is in storage, ive got the modifed parts to make it work just need to make some copies and just need to swap the wheels and all that jazz, it should be a pretty cool look, as the 135I brake calipers with the BMW on it will look sick on my titanium silver body.

after the front ill get the rears to work theirfor keeping my brake bias....

the rotor i use is the stock OEM z4M rotors. the fit should be perfect.

mmmmmmmmmmm sexy!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigJ View Post
Im wondering about this too. And after seeing the setup in the link below Im really interested if its possible.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
read above, we mentioned a vendor who already sells the performance brakes with modified brackets to fit our car. the only difference being you will still utilize the same sized rotor as you're currently using. no product offering for the rears though...
      09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

from the other tread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
... Also, ECS sells a OEM big brake kit upgrade, it uses the BMW Performance yellow calipers off the E8x and E9x series. They've fabbed their own brackets to make this fit, paired up with the performance rotors mentioned above. For the price, it's a great deal for a "big brake kit" - only problem is this was engineered only to the extent of making it fit, no testing on bias. I'll admit I was really tempted to buy it just because it looks so darn good but didn't want to spend $1200 and end up with worse braking =T

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...OEM/ES2215444/

Good read on brake bias btw:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml
* after some more research today, i cannot find any information regarding surface area of the brake pads having any measurable influence on bias. i think this is very strange... if you put your finger on a table, it will be much easier to slide than if you were to try sliding your whole hand on the same table.

* the stoptech link above mentions CG height as effecting transferred load. it specifically states...

If we look at the equations we have developed, we see that all of the following factors will affect the weight on an axle for any given moment in time:

· Weight distribution of the vehicle at rest
· CG height – the higher it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop
· Wheelbase – the shorter it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop

but then says...

Factors that will increase front bias
Lower center of gravity

Factors that will increase rear bias
Higher center of gravity

...this is clearly flipped; a typo. a lower CG will produce less front bias, and higher rear bias.

* the rear performance brake caliper is designed for a thicker rear rotor than what comes on our cars. simply retrofitting the caliper will not work.

* the only viable idea i have personally had for installing this brake system (others feel free to add or critique)...

1) - buy the e46 perf brake retro from ecs.
2) - lower the car.
3) - install a higher friction compound pad in the rear only.
4) - have the stock rear calipers paint-matched to the perf fronts (otherwise you'll be called a dork)

Last edited by v3.0si; 09-06-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
from the other tread...

* after some more research today, i cannot find any information regarding surface area of the brake pads having any measurable influence on bias. i think this is very strange... if you put your finger on a table, it will be much easier to slide than if you were to try sliding your whole hand on the same table.

* the stoptech link above mentions CG height as effecting transferred load. it specifically states...

If we look at the equations we have developed, we see that all of the following factors will affect the weight on an axle for any given moment in time:

· Weight distribution of the vehicle at rest
· CG height – the higher it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop
· Wheelbase – the shorter it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop

but then says...

Factors that will increase front bias
Lower center of gravity

Factors that will increase rear bias
Higher center of gravity

...this is clearly flipped; a typo. a lower CG will produce less front bias, and higher rear bias.

* the rear performance brake caliper is designed for a thicker rear rotor than what comes on our cars. simply retrofitting the caliper will not work.

* the only viable idea i have personally had for installing this brake system (others feels free to add or critique)...

1) - buy the e46 perf brake retro from ecs.
2) - lower the car.
3) - install a higher friction compound pad in the rear only.
4) - have the stock rear calipers paint-matched to the perf fronts (otherwise you'll be called a dork)
Good catch - you should call Zeckhausen and tell Dave to fix the typo!

Btw, I was thinking of doing the same (minus painting the rears, too lazy to do that) but I don't like the idea of running mixed pad compounds.
      09-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... I was thinking of doing the same (minus painting the rears, too lazy to do that)...
DORK!

Quote:
...but I don't like the idea of running mixed pad compounds.
other than making one axle a little more sticky, what other weirdness would happen?
      09-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yea that was a good one....

hey dubble where you talking to me when you quoted the abouve vender? remember i dont want the performance brake calipers as i hate the color and prefer the dark grey with the BMW text.

everything i did and am doing is on my own dime hence doing it on the major cheap, like i said calipers rotors and everything for under a grand.

hence why i didnt go through the vendors, yea i know some pay for the benifet of having it done already but i like to torture myself and make it my own.

the rear on the other hand that will be speacial just for mine.
i think my "I" is having real "SI" complex and "M" envey!

ah well i will be excited to show the group when all is done!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
yea that was a good one....

hey dubble where you talking to me when you quoted the abouve vender? remember i dont want the performance brake calipers as i hate the color and prefer the dark grey with the BMW text.

everything i did and am doing is on my own dime hence doing it on the major cheap, like i said calipers rotors and everything for under a grand.

hence why i didnt go through the vendors, yea i know some pay for the benifet of having it done already but i like to torture myself and make it my own.
I gave the link for Stig since he was interested in purchasing this kit.
      09-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool beans
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i've been considering the front kit from ecstuning pretty heavily now, but they can't confirm it will work on the e85/6 chassis until they have a car to test fit with. so... anybody live near...

ECS Tuning
1000 Seville Rd
Wadsworth, OH 44281

... willing to help out the cause?
      12-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Quote:
i've been considering the front kit from ecstuning pretty heavily now, but they can't confirm it will work on the e85/6 chassis until they have a car to test fit with. so... anybody live near...

ECS Tuning
1000 Seville Rd
Wadsworth, OH 44281

There is a few around them, they shoot out requests for test cars sometimes on the local board, but don't recall them asking for an E85/86...I'd be glad to let them wrench on it, will drop a line.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
Jony722si
The Wrapgician
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4si

Garage List
2006 BMW z4  [0.00]
2009 Bmw 135I  [0.00]
2022 BMW M4C  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Consider to buy the ECS BP big brake kit recently, I just have a chat with a guy that working in the company. he said the whole kit will not fit my N52 si but euro rotors(the rotor in the kit)... why so? they got different brake set up between I and SI?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

ECS Tuning
1000 Seville Rd
Wadsworth, OH 44281

I don't see why it wouldn't work. At one point I had an e46 330i bbk on my e86 and it worked fine. Just have them promise they'll issue a full refund if it doesn't work, and in the case that it does, you'll post a positive review on the product & vendor here! lol