BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
john335coupe
08 e92 M3 DCT, Pulley, AFE stage 2 intake, Dinan
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, e92 M3 DCT

different Evolve tune review...

First off I'd like to say that the customer service from Sal and others at Evolve has been great.

I made 3 baseline runs the day before I installed the tune. I used the dynolicious iphone app. I know many of you might discount this as an effective or accurate way to gauge acceleration but I've found it to be surprisingly accurate or consistent at the least.

I'm at 5800 ft elevation so the numbers will seem low. That's what happens to NA cars up here. They cannot breath...

Baseline average of 3 runs
using LC
0-30 2.06 sec.
0-60 5.42 sec.
0-100 13.42 sec.

no LC
0-30 2.75 sec.
0-60 5.98 sec.
0-100 13.32

My e92 m3 dct has about 35000 miles on it and has a pulley, afe stage 2 intake and dinan rear exhaust.

I then flashed as directed by Evolve and spent some time on the phone with Sal who was very helpful fixing some of the initial problems.

Drove for at least 50 miles so that computer could adapt.

Ran 3 more runs using the dynolicious app on the same road in the same direction at almost the same outside temp. and had some interesting results.

using LC average of 3 runs
0-30 2.17 sec.
0-60 5.52 sec.
0-100 13.64 sec.

no LC
0-30 2.88 sec.
0-60 6.41 sec.
0-100 14.11

As you can see after the Evolve flash. the car did not accelerate as fast. I was shocked by these numbers because my butt dyno was telling me it was a little quicker... I tried everything to get the car to get better times.

1/4 mile mph were similar. There was nothing I could do to get the et and mph to be better after the flash.

I then put the stock tune back on the car and drove for about 20 miles and ran another time. Here is the results using LC:

using LC
0-30 2.15 sec.
0-60 5.49 sec.
0-100 13.57 sec.

I emailed Sal at Evolve and told him I was not seeing any gains and to see if another tune would be better suited for my car. I know little about tunes so I was thinking that maybe my car had a tune that was too conservative...and even more conservative than stock tune. If there was nothing they could do, I requested a refund.

Sorry I don't have a different story to tell. Believe me I really wanted one.

John
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Very interesting. Nice to have the iphone apps data. May not be perfect but sounds like its consistent enough to give you an idea what was happening. Hope this isn't true for the tune across the board. Maybe an elevation thing?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

hmm...even if this is just a NA engine and only +/- 10-15HP (at 8200rpm) are gainable...
something is wrong here.
Didn't Evolve try to send you a new tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
john335coupe
Rep

They have not sent me anything as of yet. Last Sal told me that I had the same tune as everybody else. This was a few days ago. They have not responded to my last email which was Friday, requesting a better tune or a refund. I was really looking to a document-able gain from a tune. I figured if you could feel it then the numbers would show a gain. The opposite is here. The tune actually slowed the car and when the original tune was put back on the performance increased... I hope something can be done.

John
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Subscribed. Let us know the results. I feel like my evolve tune pulls harder and would hope it results in a measureable increase in performance. Sal and paul will get back with you tomorrow and fix this I'm sure. I'm running the new tuner protected stage 2.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

A little off topic... I was able to get 4.39s on 0-60 with Dynolicious with LC off. At close to sea level.

Very interested in how this plays out.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Hi John,

Our engineer will be in touch tomorrow, had the weekend off and your message didn't come through till 11pm on Friday so missed it. Sure it's either a loading issue or file issue, there certainly are gains so we just need to find where the problem is.

Thanks
Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
john335coupe
Rep

Paul

Thanks. You guys have my files. Shoot me a new one and I'm glad to give it a shot. After all I would not have done this in the first place if I was not looking for performance gains. I do however need those gains to be documentable.

john
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I know it might cost a bit more, but the true way to see any gains would be an actual dyno
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
I think this goes to show the car is tuned optimally from the factory and many tunes out there give you "butt dyno" feeling by modulating throttle response and increasing smoothness of the pulls but in the end I really believe a tuned car is at best equally fast to stock and likely slower in most cases as this evidenced.

You have to think and realize that the m3 is already getting piss poor gas milage so clearly M did not have to de-tune the car or compromise with a/f ratios and vanos parameters in order to compromise for good efficiency and performance like other models. They used the parameters probably for a reason and max performance.

No offense to any tuner but I would think the M engineers are leaps and bounds more educated and experienced than 99 percent of the independant tuners out there playing around on the computer. Trust in the M department-they know what they are doing.
What you said is simply not true. It has been proven that these tunes add power, and it is not something new to tune the ECU for power.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMWs

if you want to get a "tune", just get www.sprintboostersales.com. it also does not make your car faster but most will think it does. and it is much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I think this goes to show the car is tuned optimally from the factory and many tunes out there give you "butt dyno" feeling by modulating throttle response and increasing smoothness of the pulls but in the end I really believe a tuned car is at best equally fast to stock and likely slower in most cases as this evidenced.
Not true... how can you possibly take one non-scientific comparison and make this statement. First, who knows if the tune was properly implemented on his car. Second, there is a TON of evidence that these tunes add measurable and real power. More power = faster, period. You can't ignore the wide body of non-subjective evidence and rely on one member's bad experience. You have already convinced yourself that tunes are not worthwhile, in your opinion, and you want to take every piece of evidence, good or bad, to prove your opinion but you are clearly ignoring the vast majority of evidence (dynos, the Evolve video) to the contrary.

People who know FAR more about this than you and I would NOT agree than the M3 is tuned "optimally" from the factory. It is a compromise tune because the vehicle has to meet a wide range of needs.

Quote:
No offense to any tuner but I would think the M engineers are leaps and bounds more educated and experienced than 99 percent of the independant tuners out there playing around on the computer. Trust in the M department-they know what they are doing.
Although this may be true, that does NOT mean the BMW engineers are programming the engines for maximum potential output/power. They are leaving large tolerances and making compromises for the broader market. Could they "tune" more power from factory? Yes. Could then maybe even "tune" more power than the independent shops? Maybe, yes. But just because they could does not mean they did... cause they didn't.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 08-22-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRing View Post
if you want to get a "tune", just get www.sprintboostersales.com. it also does not make your car faster but most will think it does. and it is much cheaper.
+1.

08-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:

You have to think and realize that the m3 is already getting piss poor gas milage so clearly M did not have to de-tune the car or compromise with a/f ratios and vanos parameters in order to compromise for good efficiency and performance like other models. They used the parameters probably for a reason and max performance.

Pretty poor inductive reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
john335coupe
Rep

I'm pretty sure the tune "took" to at least some degree since the cold rough start was gone immediately after the tune. There was a definite difference after the tune. Like some of you have said, it could have been throttle mapping and other things.

Sal wrote me and said he is working on another tune for me and will get it to me asap. I will keep everyone informed as to the results.

John
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
M3DCTBT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john335coupe View Post
I'm pretty sure the tune "took" to at least some degree since the cold rough start was gone immediately after the tune. There was a definite difference after the tune. Like some of you have said, it could have been throttle mapping and other things.

Sal wrote me and said he is working on another tune for me and will get it to me asap. I will keep everyone informed as to the results.

John
Take it to a real dyno - with AFR and ignition logging. Allow the men at Evolve to do their thing based on that. Making a new tune blindly with none of this info will not help you.

Even though this DME is target based. I've seen a few cars come in with AFR's in the 10's up top with various popular tunes on the market. That will slow it down for sure. Also it would nice to see 3rd party data as I only remember seeing one evolve 3rd party tune done in California at one of alexshop/pg's dyno days and it's results weren't stellar.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DCTBT View Post
Take it to a real dyno - with AFR and ignition logging. Allow the men at Evolve to do their thing based on that. Making a new tune blindly with none of this info will not help you.

Even though this DME is target based. I've seen a few cars come in with AFR's in the 10's up top with various popular tunes on the market. That will slow it down for sure. Also it would nice to see 3rd party data as I only remember seeing one evolve 3rd party tune done in California at one of alexshop/pg's dyno days and it's results weren't stellar.
I agree that it would be nice to see more 3rd party results, but the car on aleks' dyno was close to a dinan car with higher octane and more modifications.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack
I agree that it would be nice to see more 3rd
party results, but the car on aleks' dyno was close to a dinan car
with higher octane and more modifications.
The Alekshop dyno (347whp, 258wtq) showed results that were about
10-12whp over a bone stock car. But the catch was that the car in
the Alekshop dyno had a quite a few other mods:
* Macht Schnell Air Filter
* RPI Air Scoops
* Primary CAT Delete
* Turner Test/Cross Pipe
* Evolve Stage-2 ECU Tune

This tells me that the majority of the gains over stock came from
the cat delete and air filter, as these are very well documented
and quantifiable gains. The dyno results are published in the
Dyno Database (www.bmwdynodatabase.com) for anybody to access.
The files are available for download so anybody can look at them
an scrutinize the results.
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=399

The Dinan car from the same day made 359whp, and 257wtq. These
were the only two NA M3's on the dyno that day.
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=390

Bone stock cars on this dyno range from 336-343whp.

The results are all in the public domain for anybody who tries to
find them. Until more independant dynos are done, it's hard to
say if the Alekshop and OP's results are the norm, or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Does "adaptation" come into play here?

ie: Doesn't the DME, etc. need to "adapt" to the new settings before a dyno would show the true gains from a given tune?

That has always been my understanding from talking to tuners such as Jim Conforti, etc.

Paul, comments?

Non-tuners, unless you know tuning, and how it really "works", save the newb comments.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

^^Correct. It even mentions the adaption period in the instructions for this tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #21
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Does "adaptation" come into play here?

ie: Doesn't the DME, etc. need to "adapt" to the new settings before a dyno would show the true gains from a given tune?

That has always been my understanding from talking to tuners such as Jim Conforti, etc.

Paul, comments?

Non-tuners, unless you know tuning, and how it really "works", save the newb comments.
The OP said he drove for "at least" 50 miles to let the car adapt to the tune...

He may have needed a bit more?? 100?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #22
wdd1040
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

How much wheelspin was there on these launches? It could be additional wheelspin causing slower acceleration.

Maybe test 60-130? Or even just 10-100?
Appreciate 0