BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Headlight adjustment for RHD/LHD

I have searched and searched but could not find out if 1 series LCI headlight is adjustable for right hand drive (RHD) / left hand drive (LHD) or not.
I mean not completely switch but temporarily switch on a occasional visit to the country which drive in the opposite side.

Other series such as 3 series or 5 series is able to switch.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6258467
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440929

So I checked by myself to find out that it is not possible to switch.
There is a lever but it is a lever to fix the bulb.

The pattern of the headlight for RHD is like this. I wanted to flatten the pattern.
Does anyone know how should I do when visiting the country which drives in the opposite side?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I don't think the one series has a switch. I remember reading a post by some active duty soldier in the UK about it. For troops based in the UK... even for your POV(privately owned vehicle) you MUST replace the LHD headlights with RHD headlights or ship teh car out of the UK. They only give US service members a one year exemption - after that you must convert your car. Some poor guy was looking at $$$$. I know over here in DE the eurp lights are like 600 euros EACH! I hate to think of the price in UK pounds! lol - even a worse conversion rate! lol

Kiyo - you could always buy some of the tape masks(they are pre cut and sold at the Chunnel or Ship Ferrie points) to put over the headlights. This re-shapes the light pattern so as not to blind the UK RHD drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I don't think the one series has a switch. I remember reading a post by some active duty soldier in the UK about it. For troops based in the UK... even for your POV(privately owned vehicle) you MUST replace the LHD headlights with RHD headlights or ship teh car out of the UK. They only give US service members a one year exemption - after that you must convert your car. Some poor guy was looking at $$$$. I know over here in DE the eurp lights are like 600 euros EACH! I hate to think of the price in UK pounds! lol - even a worse conversion rate! lol

Kiyo - you could always buy some of the tape masks(they are pre cut and sold at the Chunnel or Ship Ferrie points) to put over the headlights. This re-shapes the light pattern so as not to blind the UK RHD drivers.
Nice Idea
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Thanks. I will just use the sticker.
Appreciate 0