BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Paint Protection

Hi Guys,

I'm meaning to get my new toy paint protected, full frontal - Bumper, Mirrors, Wings and Full Bonnet.

A company called PaintGuard in Peterborough (not to be confused with other Paintguards) were recommended on a GTR forum. They use VentureShield amongst others, and sound good as well as providing a 4yr warrenty for all work. Apparently the owner advised that they've done three 1Ms already, so I was wondering if any of you are on here? - If so then I would be very interested in your experiences.

Any other recommendations are also welcome. I've heard with white cars you need to be careful about which film is used as through the process of cleaning sometimes the film will turn yellow.

http://www.paintshield.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I would consider it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've had another quote over the phone from the following company also:-

http://www.bodyguarduk.com

Do do a full wrap of bonnet, bumper, mirrors, lights and full wings, these guys will do it for around £700!

Puts my mind at ease about stone chips. Especially as most of my driving is motorway based.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

I've used Tom at Paintshield in the past and the work and finish on the whole is very neat and tidy. They fitted the shield to my Focus RS in Ultimate Green, wanted it done as the paint was a tri coloured pearl which is a nightmare to match and difficult to paint the chips.
I would say check the finish over carefully before handing over your cash as I did have a couple of problems and although they were very charming before the work was done they soon change their attitude towards me when I called back to have a couple of things put right. Got the feeling they wanted to fob me off as they thought I was being too fussy. I am definitely fussy especially when presenting them with my brand new car to work on and considering the amount of money they charge for doing the work.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

A colleague of mine has used them for a full wrap of his dark blue Carrera cab, and totally swears by them.

They've quoted me approx £1,150 for full front. I'm incredibly fussy too, when I called they had just done their first. I'd be worried about the differentiation between wrapped and non wrapped bits. Plus it's a fairly large outlay that needs doing soon after purchase.

Having said that, I'm definitely considering them. Have you looked on detailing world? Many recommend getting the car detailed before wrapping. So your local detailer might be able to offer professional un biased advice too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Drive it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
I've used Tom at Paintshield in the past and the work and finish on the whole is very neat and tidy. They fitted the shield to my Focus RS in Ultimate Green, wanted it done as the paint was a tri coloured pearl which is a nightmare to match and difficult to paint the chips.
I would say check the finish over carefully before handing over your cash as I did have a couple of problems and although they were very charming before the work was done they soon change their attitude towards me when I called back to have a couple of things put right. Got the feeling they wanted to fob me off as they thought I was being too fussy. I am definitely fussy especially when presenting them with my brand new car to work on and considering the amount of money they charge for doing the work.
Thanks Jezz,

I totally agree with whole charming attitude. If your paying that kind of money then it's only second nature to be fussy! The whole "we do this, we do that" seemed to crop up frequently during my conversation. I'm still shopping around but appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Martillo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Blue tape???
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
Drive it and enjoy it.
+1

Will it really matter whether you wrapped or not come trade-in time??

(OK; so admittedly I'm probably the least interested person in the world when it comes to detailing!)

But each to their own I guess as regards in what way/s they enjoy their cars (-:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

With all due respect, this is not intended on being a debate about whether it should be done or not! I'm getting it done regardless.

I was looking for feedback from those who have had it done already!

Last edited by Hotrod99; 08-13-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

£700! £1100! Seriously??

Surely it would be cheaper to just paint the car every couple of years? These films must get damaged absorbing the stone strikes so you'll have to replace them periodically too.

My back arches are showing signs of damage too but at that sort of price I think I'll just get some Chipex for £50 and touch it up now and again.

www.chipex.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

My car didnt have a single mark on the front of the car after two years. The buyer who took the car specifically wanted a car that had been protected with paintshield from new. It goes without saying a car looks bad covered in road rash, I know which car I would pick if I was in the second hand market to buy one in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
£700! £1100! Seriously??

Surely it would be cheaper to just paint the car every couple of years? These films must get damaged absorbing the stone strikes so you'll have to replace them periodically too.

My back arches are showing signs of damage too but at that sort of price I think I'll just get some Chipex for £50 and touch it up now and again.

www.chipex.co.uk
Ive used a product similar to this in the past, the result looked really good from half a mile away.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Ive used a product similar to this in the past, the result looked really good from half a mile away.
Which one was that so I know which one to avoid? Morgan endorse Chipex, and I know of a friend who has used it successfully. Incidentally, he used it to repair road rash before having VentureShield fitted. I did question his logic when he told me the price of each product.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree Jezzer, potential buyers will have confidence in the fact that the money was invested to get it protected. I rather have that, then see the paint being touched up all over the place!!

Nonetheless i've now had a quote for 500 all in for full frontal, including GLARE detailing/polish. Will take an entire day to get everything done. Got a deal after two of us decided to get it done together.

When you've just spent 40K+ on car; 700 is not a lot for piece-of-mind.

Last edited by Hotrod99; 08-14-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
^^or you get this...."Uh, why does the front of your 1M look like Manuel Noriega's face??"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
I agree Jezzer, potential buyers will have confidence in the fact that the money was invested to get it protected. I rather have that, then see the paint being touched up all over the place!!

Nonetheless i've now had a quote for 500 all in for full frontal, including GLARE detailing/polish. Will take an entire day to get everything done. Got a deal after two of us decided to get it done together.

When you've just spent 40K+ on car; 700 is not a lot for piece-of-mind.
Can you pm me the details, do they use a pre cut product that requires no cutting on the car? Also does their finished product tuck around the panels or within a few mm of the panel edge? Are you having protection put on the leading edge of the rear arches?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #18
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:

Can you pm me the details, do they use a pre cut product that requires no cutting on the car? Also does their finished product tuck around the panels or within a few mm of the panel edge? Are you having protection put on the leading edge of the rear arches?
Me too please! Was going to have two cars protected and your chap sounds great value if the film isn't cut on the car and is wrapped around the edges of panels
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

I'm personally addicted to the 3M film. I've used it on 3 cars (one is a 2001 type-r), and I've had 0 issues or complaints! Absolutely NO yellowing. This is kind of a thing of the past. Another issue you have to consider is the orange peal effect. All cars today have this. You may have never noticed it unless you go to a lot of car shows. Cars that have been repainted (for showing) often are so smooth, it's like glass. I would NOT use a 3M film on a car like this because 3M's film is meant to match that of a factory painted car. There are films out there that have that smooth finish, but when choosing your film, match the film to the painted surface of your car; orange peal effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Just had a quote from one of the best detailers in the business including complete Paintshield PPF, 2-3 days work. >£2k.

Considering I am new to the detailing and PPF world even I was shocked.

Am struggling to justify that sort of cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

It's unjustifiable in my opinion but I can understand why people do it.

Those who've used it in the past - does it get marked over time absorbing the strikes or is it invincible?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Just had a quote from one of the best detailers in the business including complete Paintshield PPF, 2-3 days work. >£2k.

Considering I am new to the detailing and PPF world even I was shocked.

Am struggling to justify that sort of cost.
Same here, have to agree with you and Schnorbitz. Looked at the price and figured I'll never make that kind of money back when coming to sell.

In terms of quality how does it compare to say an iPhone screen protector which a ultra thin film of plastic?
Appreciate 0