BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Lefort
Rep
Drives: M3

Canadians buying used M3s from the States..

Hey guys.. new to the forums. Tried the search function but couldn't come up with what I was looking for.

I'm in the market for buying my first M3.. namely a used '09 executive convertible package type thing.. and it's hard not to notice the ~$10,000-$15000 price difference from autotrader.ca and autotrader.com. (I'm in Toronto.)

Is it possible to buy used from the States paying that specific State's sales tax, have it shipped up, paying any fees/duties/etc at the border, then pay the Canadian sales tax (HST), and wind up paying a significant amount less for your efforts?

I did find this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566552 mentioning that dealers don't seem to be able to sell new M3s to Canadians.. is that also the case with used?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Best you ask this on the Canadian boards.

Yes, you could buy it used form a used dealer but you wouldn't need to pay the local sales tax, just all your other Canadian taxes, duties etc upon importing it but you better do the math and research on this. Sometimes it's not worth the headaches after all true costs are factored in.
Appreciate 0