BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Realistic timeline

My car is due in port in San Diego at 5 AM on 8/16 (yeah!). My dealer is saying that I should be able to pick the car up from them on 8/20 (dealer is in Mt. View CA, aka San Franciso Bay area). I need to book a clear bra install and I am wondering if you all think my dealer is being overly optimistic on the availability date or if that is reasonable (assuming car has sustained no damage during transit).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to PM you. But this is off topic a bit, my dealership where I'm waiting to get my M delivered is close by (Fremont) and I'm also waiting for delivery. It just got put into "released to carrier, waiting for port exit" status. How long did it take from that status to actually exiting to your expected arrival at port?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED

Your dealer would seem to be way optimistic. My dealer, who is only about an hour's drive from Port Hueneme, has said they're seeing port-to-dealership times of 10-14 days currently.

You said your car's coming into San Diego? Are you sure it's not Port Hueneme, which is where all new BMWs come for this part of the world?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, going to Port Hueneme. Thought that was in San Diego, but just looked and it is much closer to LA. 10-14 days is likely the time for a car that is not already sold. They process the priority (already sold) cars first. Still think 4 days might be aggressive, but I doubt it is 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
Sorry, couldn't figure out how to PM you. But this is off topic a bit, my dealership where I'm waiting to get my M delivered is close by (Fremont) and I'm also waiting for delivery. It just got put into "released to carrier, waiting for port exit" status. How long did it take from that status to actually exiting to your expected arrival at port?
My car sat at Bremerhaven for about 4 days. I believe my car shipped on 7/22 if I recall correctly. It is due in the US on 8/16.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
My car sat at Bremerhaven for about 4 days. I believe my car shipped on 7/22 if I recall correctly. It is due in the US on 8/16.
Oh man, that hurts to hear. I kept being told that it's expected late August for my delivery. But it just finished production on the 4th and is waiting for port exit now. At your rate, I guess I'll be looking at September. =/ Also, I guess there'll be 2 new M3s in your area as I'll be in Stockton soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
Quote:
Oh man, that hurts to hear. I kept being told that it's expected late August for my delivery. But it just finished production on the 4th and is waiting for port exit now. At your rate, I guess I'll be looking at September. =/ Also, I guess there'll be 2 new M3s in your area as I'll be in Stockton soon.
I wish my boat was getting in on 8/16. Right now DCS is showing 8/26 as my arrival. I might be lucky and get mine this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stockton? Keep your car garaged, put an alarm on your house and lock your keys in a safe every night.

Seriously though; are you buying a house out here or what?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stockton? Keep your car garaged, put an alarm on your house and lock your keys in a safe every night.

Seriously though; are you buying a house out here or what?
I'm still a student at UOP, just got back from a co-op from Hawaii for the mech eng program to do work instead of take classes, but finish at the same time. I'll be renting a house in a gated community, and of course will keep it locked, I've been in Stockton a few years now and definitely know how it is. Parents are putting me on fully covered insurance too so they said not to worry about it too much. Just got a, "Waiting for vessel" status. Hopefully it'll get on the 8/14 boat as I heard someone mention that date. But the wait is really agonizing. Glad to see you're getting really close!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still a student at UOP, just got back from a co-op from Hawaii for the mech eng program to do work instead of take classes, but finish at the same time. I'll be renting a house in a gated community, and of course will keep it locked, I've been in Stockton a few years now and definitely know how it is. Parents are putting me on fully covered insurance too so they said not to worry about it too much. Just got a, "Waiting for vessel" status. Hopefully it'll get on the 8/14 boat as I heard someone mention that date. But the wait is really agonizing. Glad to see you're getting really close!
Good for you. UOP is a beautiful campus. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED

Quote:
10-14 days is likely the time for a car that is not already sold. They process the priority (already sold) cars first. Still think 4 days might be aggressive, but I doubt it is 10 days.
Yes, I'm talking about 10-14 days for a Priority 1 (already sold) car. Four days is nowhere close to realistic. Just had confirmation from my CA that mine "..absolutely flew through US Customs.." (he had requested an expedite before the ship docked) and that my car will be at the dealership 10 days after the vessel docked.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry for the hijack, but just got word mine is on a boat and is scheduled to be at dealership on 9/10. =[ So far from now. Order was placed on 6/22, almost a 3 month wait. Jealous you're so close to your delivery date.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My car is getting ready to enter US waters. Getting close...
Appreciate 0