BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
SuperSig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

1M key security

Does the 1M start if the key is within proximity? Or does it have to be inserted into it's slot near the start button ? I'm reading conflicting information amongst various reviewers.

Also how does the 1M work without the convenience package that has the comfort access keyless entry? Aren't all the keys the same regardless of option?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

If you have comfort access regardless of the package, you can start the car without putting the key in the slot just push the 'Start Button" and the engine starts.

to clarify if you have comfort access keyless entry you can start the car without the key being in the slot.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
SuperSig
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks!

I guess I was confused with the term entry. I thought it was regarding entry into the car, not the key entering the slot.

This is probably a simple flag they switch in the computer configuration anyway. Too bad it's not offered to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

For some basics, feel free to check the official BMW Technology Guide (some sort of mini glossary of "BMW Speak"):
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ide/start.html

Comfort access system:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._access_system

Start/Stop button:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e=start_button
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
SuperSig
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome!

I don't know how I completely missed these pages, but I did.

Is there any kind of valet mode?

I know other cars that have similar keys have a valet button that allows the car to be driven off without the key, but not restarted without it. This allows you to leave your car and hand the key to the valet when you need it back.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
1sonnyM
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'd be interested to know that as well.
In this condition, if you keep the key on you when the valet drives away, is the car gonna stop when it is out of the range of the key? How "rough" is it gonna stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sonnyM View Post
I'd be interested to know that as well.
In this condition, if you keep the key on you when the valet drives away, is the car gonna stop when it is out of the range of the key? How "rough" is it gonna stop?
No, the car does not stop when the CA fob is removed; you'll just get an alert that the fob is not there. Of course, once the engine is killed by the driver, it can't be restarted until the fob returns.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

If he stalls your car he cannot start it again, but he could drive forever without the key if the engine continuously ran.

Comfort access also allows you to open and close your doors without using the key, simply touching the handle.

Once you have CA its going to be tough not having it. This is the one aspect of 1M ownership I am not looking forward to (I ordered a stripper).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
If he stalls your car he cannot start it again, but he could drive forever without the key if the engine continuously ran.

Comfort access also allows you to open and close your doors without using the key, simply touching the handle.

Once you have CA its going to be tough not having it. This is the one aspect of 1M ownership I am not looking forward to (I ordered a stripper).
The fob needs to be inside the vehicle in order for the car to start/run without inserting the fob. If you step out with the fob and the car is still running, a message will show up on the i-drive screen.
      08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSTEG View Post
The fob needs to be inside the vehicle in order for the car to start/run without inserting the fob. If you step out with the fob and the car is still running, a message will show up on the i-drive screen.
The fob does not need to be in the car for the car to run, only to start. Once started you can drive away without the fob. I have done this both in a Mini and a BMW. Actually I was able to start the Mini without the fob in the car when the owner with the fob in his pocket was next to the car.
Appreciate 0