BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Diff Fluid - Changed at 1,200 miles?

Does anyone know whether the diff fluid is changed or simply topped off at the 1,200 mile service?

My dealer is advising me that is only topped off.

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
quarkmaschine
Rep
Drives: 1MQP BSM

Definitely changed, as well as the transmission oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkmaschine View Post
Definitely changed, as well as the transmission oil.
Tranny oil - currently unobtanium by US dealers -- is no longer changed at 1,200 mile service. Subject of separate thread which has reprint of BMWNA's technical service bulletin on this issue.

But I'm really looking for info on differential.

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I would demand it be changed. It's an M car!
Diffs are expensive and diff fluid is cheap. It's standard practice to change it and this is the first I've ever heard of "topping it off." Diffs don't typically use fluid and require a "top off."
      08-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The diff fluid should be changed at 1,200 mile service. IF your dealer is that inep, just do it yourself.

I would also make sure they do an engine oil change with the BMW Castrol oil (5w30, The N54/N55 engine oil) and make sure they don't use the M (Castrol TWS) motor oil!

Manual trans fluid should be changed but BMW is apperently not doing it now bc they hvae very little of the correct oil on hand (MTF-LT-5). Someone posted you can use Pentison trans oil sold thru Porsche dealer - since it is the very same oil.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The diff fluid should be changed at 1,200 mile service. IF your dealer is that inep, just do it yourself.

I would also make sure they do an engine oil change with the BMW Castrol oil (5w30, The N54/N55 engine oil) and make sure they don't use the M (Castrol TWS) motor oil!

Manual trans fluid should be changed but BMW is apperently not doing it now bc they hvae very little of the correct oil on hand (MTF-LT-5). Someone posted you can use Pentison trans oil sold thru Porsche dealer - since it is the very same oil.

Dackel
Dan and Dackel -

Thanks.

Just got off phone for second time with dealer and they have now changed the diff fluid. They did use BMW Castrol 5w30 for motor.

Feeling relieved since I'm heading to track this weekend.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Make sure they add the boosters.

Have fun at the track (and post your review)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

they should change it and make sure they add the diff modifier fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
they should change it and make sure they add the diff modifier fluid.

Why would BMW dealer add a friction modifier (ie monkey slime) to the diff fluid? Does the 1M trans really chatter that much? ???
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

My car is in dealership as we speak for 1st service ,engine oil/filter ,gearbox oil and diff oil change and some warranty work to be done
      08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

The modifier is for only a diff that is chattering on tight turns.. adding it is not automatic.

It does work BTW .....once the diff chatters, if at all... has a lot to do with driving style..
      08-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
The modifier is for only a diff that is chattering on tight turns.. adding it is not automatic.

It does work BTW .....once the diff chatters, if at all... has a lot to do with driving style..
thanks for clearing this up. thought it was an automatic add-on with the diff fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would BMW dealer add a friction modifier (ie monkey slime) to the diff fluid? Does the 1M trans really chatter that much? ???
mine did and it was real bad. i had my 1300 mile service done and shortly after the diff was so loud it was starting to make me nervous. the diff had been silent since i picked up the car and only after the service did it get loud. I took it back, they added the fluid and now it was back to like it was on day 1. not adding the modifier to the diff will not ruin the diff but since bmw will do this free of charge i would ask them to do so anyways as i spent a day at the dealer that i rather have spent at the beach.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:

Dackel
Or they are following the Service and Warranty Information booklet to the letter which states that only the standard transmission in the M3 needs to be changed.

"All 1 Series M Coupe vehicles and only M3 vehicles with the optional M- DCT Drivelogic transmission have a long-term rated transmission fluid which does not need to be changed except for system repairs." (Page 6)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

while driving it was fine. I park my car in a 3 story parking garage and when driving slow making sharp right hand turns to go up the levels the sound was bad. Other than that, under normal driving conditions it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
while driving it was fine. I park my car in a 3 story parking garage and when driving slow making sharp right hand turns to go up the levels the sound was bad. Other than that, under normal driving conditions it was fine.

Yes, most LSD's will make some chatter noises when pulling a U-turn or tight turns. That doesn't mean the LSD unit is bad or anything. Just that it is working.

The LSD friction additive is there to quiet the LSD of this chatter noise. I would rather hear that noise than not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Yes, most LSD's will make some chatter noises when pulling a U-turn or tight turns. That doesn't mean the LSD unit is bad or anything. Just that it is working.

The LSD friction additive is there to quiet the LSD of this chatter noise. I would rather hear that noise than not.
+1 With Dack... The diff is doing its job, its just that you can hear it do its job on full lock or near full lock slow turns..

M3 diffs have been changed in the past, but not really decause of the low speed chatter... Now if you get noise / vibration / chatter at High speed in a nice sweet sweeper.....well now you have issues

If it were me, i would leave the modifier out as long as i could.. just my .02
      08-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

of course it does not mean that the lsd is broken. I too like the feedback from the sound of the diff. The additive does not remove the sound all together but dampens it. you can still hear it however it is not nearly as loud as it is without it. for my tastes i think its better with than without
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Tranny oil - currently unobtanium by US dealers -- is no longer changed at 1,200 mile service. Subject of separate thread which has reprint of BMWNA's technical service bulletin on this issue.

Neil
Do you have the link to this discussion and Tech Bulletin?

I searched but couldn't find it.

Thanks
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Do you have the link to this discussion and Tech Bulletin?

I searched but couldn't find it.

Thanks

You can thank "DriveHard" for his post#73... TSB SI B00 01 10

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...TF-LT-5&page=4

Here is his post...

Quote:
Not to add insult to injury......

BMW just released a new bulletin basically stating the following: ( released 6/9/2011) late in the day !!

Transmission MTF LT5 Fluid Not Available and SI B00 01 10 Changes.

The manual transmission fluid does not need to be changed at the 1200 Mile Service. However, future fluid replacements will coincide with those of the rear axle differential oil. Refer to SI B00 10 10 for additional details pertaining to required service. Do not substitute MTF LT5 fluid with any other fluid; when it is available in 3-4 weeks, we will provide a follow-up DCS message. No premature wear will occur to the manual transmission if the fluid is not changed at the 1200 mile service.We apologize for this inconvenience.

FYI.... The future fluid replacements that coincide with the rear axel differential fluid will occur at EVERY 3rd OIL SERVICE

So It appears as though BMW recanted their requirment for this Transmission fluid break-in service requirment. ( not really a bad thing in the grand scheam of things IMHO)

I would guess once fluid becomes available enthusists will do it on there own anyway. ( hopefully fluid will not be $$$$$$$$)

will update as soon as i hear anything else..

PS: you might want to read thru that entire thread... it is VERY interesting.

Dackel
Appreciate 0