08-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

Alarm went off last night

Howdy folks,

Last night around 11 PM my doorbell rang twice - apparently my 1M's alarm was going off intermittently in my garage. When I checked it out, everything looked OK - i.e., garage door closed, no forced entry, etc... also can't think of any environmental triggers (storms, falling heavy items, etc.) that might have set it off. It was a bit odd becuase it would go off for a few second, then stop, then start again.

When I ran upstairs to get the key and hit the unlock button, the alarm stopped permanently... for now.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any ideas what might have caused the alarm to go off? Is it possible that my car might be haunted? If so will that improve resale value down the road?

Hopefully it won't happen again, I get little enough sleep as it is and don't have much time or patience for either poltergeists or gremlins.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Many years ago, my brother parked his Skylark in the driveway. The alarm kept going off during the night, so he finally just disabled it. The next morning, his battery was gone. Seems the crooks intentionally set the alarm off repeatedly, just so he'd get frustrated and disable it. Worked like a charm.
      08-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
Howdy folks,

Last night around 11 PM my doorbell rang twice - apparently my 1M's alarm was going off intermittently in my garage. When I checked it out, everything looked OK - i.e., garage door closed, no forced entry, etc... also can't think of any environmental triggers (storms, falling heavy items, etc.) that might have set it off. It was a bit odd becuase it would go off for a few second, then stop, then start again.

When I ran upstairs to get the key and hit the unlock button, the alarm stopped permanently... for now.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any ideas what might have caused the alarm to go off? Is it possible that my car might be haunted? If so will that improve resale value down the road?

Hopefully it won't happen again, I get little enough sleep as it is and don't have much time or patience for either poltergeists or gremlins.

Thanks!
Nice to see your from the Atlanta area! I assume you picked up the 2nd allocation at Global? I am in line for the next allocation

Back on topic... Don't know why it would go off. Do you have a cat by chance? If it is haunted you can guarantee that your car will resell much better
      08-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

One of my work colleagues is on the verge of returning his 3 month old Z4 because its alarm is going off on its own accord too. However it seems to be only when it rains!

It has been into the dealers a couple of times to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Were all of your windows up? I don't have an alarm on my 1M but this used to happen in my MINI whenever I left a window cracked.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

It just wanted to go out for a late night drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Lol, that or his trunk monkey was feeling restless

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Many years ago, my brother parked his Skylark in the driveway. The alarm kept going off during the night, so he finally just disabled it. The next morning, his battery was gone. Seems the crooks intentionally set the alarm off repeatedly, just so he'd get frustrated and disable it. Worked like a charm.
That's crazy!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
That comment reminds me of the south park episode with the shake weight, where the shake weight wakes her up in the middle of the night for a "workout".

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 08-02-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List

in my old v10touareg company car the alarm frequently went off on its own

it was one of the first v10s delivered at the time - and they could not fix it - neither were they able to fix the many other issues that xxxx car had

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
That comment reminds me of the south park episode with the shake weight, where the shake weight wakes her up in the middle of the night for a "workout".
so funny. so there is really such a thing on market for sale?>
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

on my old X5, there is a hood sensor (linked to alarm) that went bad which caused the alarm to go off intermittently. Maybe your sensor if faulty? This sensor is towards the center (next to the brake fluid reservoir).

My stripper 1M doesnt have this sensor though.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Nice to see your from the Atlanta area! I assume you picked up the 2nd allocation at Global? I am in line for the next allocation

Back on topic... Don't know why it would go off. Do you have a cat by chance? If it is haunted you can guarantee that your car will resell much better
I was thinking the same thing, do you have a big dog or cat, or other family member that may have been sitting on the keys?

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

The dealer can see which sensor triggered the alarm... hopefully if it is the same one, it will need to be replaced..

BTW hasent it been like 11 million degrees in Atlanta lately?? The Temp change from being out to being in the garage maybe triggering it..
      08-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
The dealer can see which sensor triggered the alarm... hopefully if it is the same one, it will need to be replaced..

BTW hasent it been like 11 million degrees in Atlanta lately?? The Temp change from being out to being in the garage maybe triggering it..
Surprisingly, Atlanta has been "cooler" than the mid-west and the north for most of the summer. We've also been getting rain in the afternoons that breaks-up the swelterfest.

There were some storms in the early evening over in VA-Highlands and Midtown but it sounds like your alarm issue happened much later.

Hope they figure it out and nice to see another BSM owner in ATL (my build week is now!)
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

Lots of good ideas - thanks folks. It didn't go off last night (knock on wood) but if it does happen again, I guess my next trip will be to the dealer... or the exorcist!

Satalite - wow - I didn't realize I was the second allocation at Global. So you're number 3? Congrats, and I hope your buying experience goes as smoothly as mine did!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #17
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
They had a white one that sold instantly (presumably someone came in saw it bought it) deal. They just sold a BSM and since you bought yours at Global it must have been you!

What are your specs?
      08-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #18
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I remember a guy in the nineties who managed to provoke to set off his car alarm ...by simply switching on a microwave in his kitchen nearby (next to the driveway). After inquiries it was confirmed that a microwave was indeed more powerful than you might think. Just when you think I'm pulling your leg: it's a 100% true story (not to be confused with the fake videos of mobile phones making popcorn). I assume isolation of microwaves has improved ever since.

I also remember a decade ago a journey to the sea with a biker friend. The deep and loud rumble of his Ducati Monster with Termignoni exhaust managed to set off car alarms of some parked cars in narrow streets, when he gave his Duc a go when passing by at low speed. "Sorry, I can't help it", he said with a street hooligan grin.
Appreciate 0