BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Size matters...

First off, this is not a "predict the new M3 engine" thread. I'd like to talk about the less-discussed topic of vehicle dimensions...

As I looked at pictures of the new F30 in testing, and digging through some historical data, I wonder when the "size game" will come to an end. I find it humorous that the "baby M" in the 1M is dimensionally close to an M3 that is two generations past.

Every new model seems to always be larger, dimensionally, compared to it predecessor. Now, with advances in materials they have been somewhat been able to control gross weight gain (not all though...). But at what point will they "say no" to size increases, pick a "magic" dimensional blueprint, and start using technological advances to start lowering the weight of cars?

If you look at the future, hybrid are the "new fad" in propulsion technology. If we keep on this course, the weight of the propulsion system for future cars are only going to get heavier.

We know that traffic lanes are only so wide and DOT regulations outline the maximum size a vehicle can be. But is that going to be the stopping point or are we just hoping the manufacturer's finally stop at a number and call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I find it interesting the guy with the screename "Shaq Diesel" starts a thread about things getting to big.

As for the question, they won't stop. They will just start producing smaller cars with different names. The 1 series will grow eventually and they will then introduce the 0 series or some other crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I'd like a .5 M series. It's because people are getting bigger. The number of small cars in Europe compared to here is directly proportional to the size of the people and the streets available to drive on. Plus, here in America, bigger is always better and the lost prestige of a small, sport car is lost on drivers who don't understand basic rules of the road and couldn't care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0