BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Brake shield

Got a simple question...yes I searched....how do you get the shield at the rear of the brakes off. Not the pad backs the round shield on the inside of the rotor. I had to take my 1er in a few weeks ago because it sounded like a brake was dragging or something. They said I had crap on the back side of the rotors and they cleaned them. Well needless to say the noise is returning. If it's just hot spots of crap I'd like to see and clean them myself. And no I haven't had time to jack up the car and look to see how to do it. Thanks for any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Frank you mean part #5, right? The splash sheild for the brake rotor(s).

Name:  135i_rear_brakes_311.png
Views: 779
Size:  11.5 KB

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=34&fg=12

I don't really see how you could get crap jammed up between the splash shield and the rotor. Sounds like a load of BS to me. Just take it back and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Yes thats the part but they said I have build up on the rotor, kinda like when ya park with hot brakes and the pads stick. They said it was on the backside of the rotors. I need to see above removin the shield so I can look and clean if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I don't think you can remove it unless you dissasemble everything back there.
      07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

maybe you can just bend the damn thing?
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

the only way to get it off is to remove the brakes entirely... caliper then rotor. it is very common to get debris trapped between the shield and the rotor (pebbles and stuff), but i can't see how this would result in deposits on the rotor. normally it just makes some noise until it ultimately works its way out of there.

try bending the shield slightly away from the rotor at the bottom and driving around a bit to see if it's just some debris that can be shaken loose. if it's deposits on the rotor, don't bother "cleaning"... just do a few hard stops.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Frank it sounds like your dealer is clueless. I would take it to another BMW Zentrum.

What is your problem that you are having?

After I wash my car and then park it... my rear brakes always "stick" or rust in place. I alwaus have to break them loose the next morning as I back out of my garage spot. Our brakes seem to start to make some squealing brake noises when the pads are at 50% or less. Maybe all those track days are adding up? What does your bc say for front and rear brake pad life in kms/miles ???
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

When I drive around it sounds like the brake pads are making contact over a spot on the rotor. It's not a squeal just a slight rubbing noise. It's like there is a slight high spot on the rotor. It's not constant just a noise over a certain spot. It's not loud enough to hear unless your passing by a wall, parked car etc... It's started the first time after winter or rather I first noticed it when I was able to drive with the windows down. The dealership "cleaned" my brakes and all was fine now it's starting to come back.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
When I drive around it sounds like the brake pads are making contact over a spot on the rotor. It's not a squeal just a slight rubbing noise. It's like there is a slight high spot on the rotor. It's not constant just a noise over a certain spot. It's not loud enough to hear unless your passing by a wall, parked car etc... It's started the first time after winter or rather I first noticed it when I was able to drive with the windows down. The dealership "cleaned" my brakes and all was fine now it's starting to come back.
i get this all the time, but it always goes away after a few hard stops.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
VividRacingSale
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 Coupe

You can try to get the deposits off of the rotor, or you can have the rotors machines.

Stoptech has an article on how to get pad debris off here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml

Check out this article by Zeckhausen Racing for info on bedding your brakes in

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Going to see if I can get them cleaned this weekend. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Going to see if I can get them cleaned this weekend. Thanks for the replies.
Maybe ask your dealer to replace your rotors - bc of this. Its worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, i had this exact same issue once.

It eventually went away on its own after some time.

The noise was on my left rear wheel and could only hear it when driving next to a wall. I took it to dealership and they couldnt hear the noise which pissed me off cause i can hear it very well. They put a grinder to my rotor and took care of the noise for a very short time. it came back.

My issue started after i went on deployment and came back to my car with some rust on my rotors. I had left the e brake engaged and it had a hard time moving even after letting the ebrake down. I eventually broke free.. I remembered this was when my brake scrapping started and i took the car back to the dealer and let them know that i think its the rear e brake making the noise.. They removed the components and even changed out the e brake pads. It didnt fix the noise either.

I just lived with it and eventually the noise went away.

But yea. its kinda embarassing driving an expensive car around and having that noise. ppl wonder wtf is wrong w/ you letting a nice car go unchecked..

sorry, i dont have a fix for ya..

also, i took my wheel off and searched for half an hour with a good flashlight inbetween the rotor and the heat sheild. never found a single peice of debris.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

major edit/update..

still have the scrapping noise.. however. when i use my brakes and warm em up.. noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white 135

Same thing was happening to me. one good hard stop fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white 135

Well I lied one good hard stop fixes the problem till i pull and release the e-brake. Then its back to dragging again its sounds fing horrible looks like its going into the shop
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Yep Spang thats about the shit I get. When I get back from the states...if i ever get out on space a I'm going back to the dealer to have some heart to heart to have mine corrected. Not to keen on this fkn thing anymore.
Appreciate 0