BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Intercooler help

Hey guys so im about to order and intercooler and i wanted to get peoples input on the active autowerke, cpe, ets, and helix i wanted to know which one people thjnk is the best im leaning mre towards active autowerke but any input is helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

I installed an intercooler (manufacture unknown) that required minimal dis-assembly and cutting, as I recall the AA intercooler required removing the front bumper etc., (at least at the time I was in the market, I don't know if things may have changed), which for me was way more involved. So depending on how involved you want to get, I would suggest looking at installation instructions for any that you may be considering and if the dis-assembly is an issue base the decision on that, call me lazy, but... Just my thoughts.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I have had the ETS and currently have the CPE intercoolers.

ETS intercooler installed quickly, no cutting and was well priced.

I switched to the CPE intercooler to get the additional oil cooler. CPE intercooler required a fair amount of cutting, running the oil lines was a pain and instillation was very tight. In the end, the CPE oil cooler is pretty small and positioned in a weird way such that im not sure its doing anything to lower oil temps
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
I installed an intercooler (manufacture unknown) that required minimal dis-assembly and cutting, as I recall the AA intercooler required removing the front bumper etc., (at least at the time I was in the market, I don't know if things may have changed), which for me was way more involved. So depending on how involved you want to get, I would suggest looking at installation instructions for any that you may be considering and if the dis-assembly is an issue base the decision on that, call me lazy, but... Just my thoughts.
Fran
Thanks sry posting from my iphone but im going to be taking off the front bumper anyway to put on a new one and i feel the aa intercooler is just from a really reliable company, i want to go high end and good quality on my next car figuring that its better to do everything right i also think cpe is a good company just really dont know much about helix and ets, i also just want to know how good all of them are
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

AA has a good product, only downside IMO is lots of cutting to fit (its a big IC core), any IC of its size will block some radiator airflow, and slight additional lag (given volume of core to be filled when getting into boost). If you are going to be running high boost it is gonna give you great IAT performance, but there are some tradeoffs.

I've got an ETS in my 335xi and agree with whats been said about it earlier. Easiest on install and good pricepoint, but won't gain as much as other options. I've got an HPF in my 135 and could feel an increase over stock after install just running stock boost.

Other options I'd recomend giving consideration to would be Helix or Evolution raceworks. In the end its really about matching the best option for your overall needs. There is a massive thread on the E90 side that is a good read on FMICs. do a search over there for "data compilation" and you should find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
BadOneThreeFive
Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I was going back and forth on what intercooler to buy. After some research i finally settled on the Helix. I seen the dyno charts and I think the helix is the better one out of all the FMIC for this car. Now other people may have thier own opinions on what FMIC is the best. But I think the design of the helix is what sets it above the others. Some say that the wider the intercooler is best like the CP-E and some say that the height of the intercooler is what makes it better like the big tom. VERY BIG! lol. but the helix is kinda the mix of the 2 and thats why I think it the best one out there. Plus right now they have a group buy going on for the Helix. You will save around 200 bucks if you do the group buy rather then just buying it on your own. Heres the link.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550351
- JB4 G5 Map 3 75 Meth Additive with RACE DME flash
- MS-109 and 100% meth injection (Single CM12 nozzle)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

AMS, HPF, Helix

/thread

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

If anyone has any questions on Helix Intercoolers or the group buy please email me at:
Alex@helix13.com
Appreciate 0