BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

I thought the 1M was limited to 1 year production?!

So I have called a few local dealers and they are all telling me that they can no longer place and order because they do not have any more "slots" left.

I thought the car was limited to a year of production, why are they telling me that they don't have any orders left?
      06-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

a) It is not 1 year production - it is production ends this year.
b) It is such a popular car that majority of the allocations has been spoken for
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
a) It is not 1 year production - it is production ends this year.
b) It is such a popular car that majority of the allocations has been spoken for
what do you mean by allocations? So basically there is a numbered amount of units that they are going to make in a given timeframe?
      06-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

lolllllllll
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
what do you mean by allocations? So basically there is a numbered amount of units that they are going to make in a given timeframe?
Yes, it is a factory - a car factory at that - there is some planning involve. Just like a restaurant - that can only have so many tables...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
So I have called a few local dealers and they are all telling me that they can no longer place and order because they do not have any more "slots" left.

I thought the car was limited to a year of production, why are they telling me that they don't have any orders left?
Wow. Just wow.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

God, all the late comers and new guys are coming out of the woodwork...without the ability to search.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

You're new here huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowse View Post
You're new here huh?
op HAS 2,596 POSTS !!!!

to review for the OP .... just for you, really...

a) 1M planned production is until end of this year. Not for a model year of production.

b) slots = allocation, allocation = dealers ability to place an order with factory. amount of orders any paticular dealer can place with factory was limited, and pre-defined by factory.

c) If customers put deposits on dealers allocations, then eventually no more slots / allocations to offer.

d)

e) although there are some stray dealers sandbagging for MSRP ++++ the basic answer to your question is, NO you cant order one anymore..
      06-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Not everyone works for dealerships or understands their respective wording. Please play nice guys.
      06-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Kippers
Closeted BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 ///M and 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.87]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [6.80]
Nice summary ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
op HAS 2,596 POSTS !!!!

a) 1M planned production is until end of this year. Not for a model year of production.

b) slots = allocation, allocation = dealers ability to place an order with factory. amount of orders any paticular dealer can place with factory was limited, and pre-defined by factory.

c) If customers put deposits on dealers allocations, then eventually no more slots / allocations to offer.

d)

e) although there are some stray dealers sandbagging for MSRP ++++ the basic answer to your question is, NO you cant order one anymore..
2003 325i - OEM - My First **RETIRED**
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:

So this is pretty much what is know about the 1M for the US. The 1M will be made through December 31st 2011. There are ~334 BMW dealers in the US with an estimate of ~800 cars total for the US. Only 450 for all of the UK.

Each dealer has been given an initial number of Allocations for the year. The Allocations started showing up at the largest high volume dealerships first. i.e. East, West Coast, Texas dealers. Some dealers may see only 1 to 2 cars for the year. These large dealers have already had 2 to 4 cars Allocated so the large dealers may be close to the end of their year Allotment of cars, while other smaller inland dealers are just now receiving their first Allocations.

The issue with the smaller dealers is they have had a list of people who have put down deposits some from last year, myself included. October for me, first on the list. I just got my Allocation 2 weeks ago. 14 other people are on the list at my dealer for the projected 2 cars my dealer will actually get.

Sorry to say but finding a 1M at this point may be a bit of a quest for you. You might find one at a large dealer who is holding out for +$5 - 10K over MSRP. Others on this forum have called all dealers looking and have found one, but that has been awhile ago now.

Good luck in your search.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
So this is pretty much what is know about the 1M for the US. The 1M will be made through December 31st 2011. There are ~334 BMW dealers in the US with an estimate of ~800 cars total for the US. Only 450 for all of the UK.
There has been no confirmation whether production goes through the end of December, just that it will end sometime in December for the US.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
There has been no confirmation whether production goes through the end of December, just that it will end sometime in December for the US.
I take end in December as 12.31.2011. I suppose it could be around the 20th as well since there is the Christmas Holiday closing of the factory, however there is no reason to believe they won't build up to last day of year? Only time will tell for sure.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Not everyone works for dealerships or understands their respective wording. Please play nice guys.
thank you. I dont understand why most people are assholes now a days.
      06-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowse View Post
You're new here huh?
op HAS 2,596 POSTS !!!!

d)

e) although there are some stray dealers sandbagging for MSRP the basic answer to your question is, NO you cant order one anymore..
thank you drivehard.
      06-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
thank you. I dont understand why most people are assholes now a days.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Quote:

Each dealer has been given an initial number of Allocations for the year. The Allocations started showing up at the largest high volume dealerships first. i.e. East, West Coast, Texas dealers. Some dealers may see only 1 to 2 cars for the year. These large dealers have already had 2 to 4 cars Allocated so the large dealers may be close to the end of their year Allotment of cars, while other smaller inland dealers are just now receiving their first Allocations.

The issue with the smaller dealers is they have had a list of people who have put down deposits some from last year, myself included. October for me, first on the list. I just got my Allocation 2 weeks ago. 14 other people are on the list at my dealer for the projected 2 cars my dealer will actually get.

Sorry to say but finding a 1M at this point may be a bit of a quest for you. You might find one at a large dealer who is holding out for $5 - 10K over MSRP. Others on this forum have called all dealers looking and have found one, but that has been awhile ago now.

Good luck in your search.
thank you as well for the through explanation.
      06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Youre in SoCal, call around and some dealerships have cars coming in that arent spoken for. I guarantee that.

You may not be able to order one because allocations are not available but that doesnt mean all ordered cars are sold. I still think allocations will open up as the year progresses, but thats just my guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Youre in SoCal, call around and some dealerships have cars coming in that arent spoken for. I guarantee that.

You may not be able to order one because allocations are not available but that doesnt mean all ordered cars are sold. I still think allocations will open up as the year progresses, but thats just my guess.
thanks will do.
      06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
CaptSlow
Private
Rep
Drives: One of a few

Quote:
op HAS 2,596 POSTS !!!!

d)

Just to throw a wrench in DriveHrd's excellent summary....I have personally gone through the experience of placing a deposit on a "suppossed" allocation, only to discover (after a great deal of dealer questioning) that said allocation was not confirmed. This has occurred TWICE at two different dealerships. Eventually, I found a VO 1M in stock and purchased it directly for a small premium over MSRP....the following day, my mystery allocation magically reappeared, and I overheard various SA's refusing to release it to other customers so that they (the dealer) could resale the vehicle to the highest bidder. It would seem, therefore, that if you do not have a production number, don't assume an allocation is any sort of guarantee for a car. It's a horrible and unjust business practice, but it is the reality of a highly anticipated limited production vehicle. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

I FOUND 1!!!!

AW
Premium
Harmon Kardon

50k @msrp