ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
windshield washer reservoir

My warning light came on yesterday. Today I topped up my windshield washer reservoir. I was shocked at how loose it was. There is one bolt at the top back holding it in place, and besides that it just kind of sits in place. I kept looking underneath to see if there was another bolt loose or missing. There is a couple of holes in the metal it's resting on, but I could not see where there was an area at the bottom of the reservoir that should bolt to it. Is this normal? Any other M owners notice this?

John
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

i notice mine was really loose too when i was filling it up, but i guess it's built and put on that way

btw...my light didn't go on last week when it's out...or there was still more then enough for the light to go on
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

OP, I've noticed the same problem, so I think it's inherent in the design. I leave the fluid just a an inch or two above the sensor as I hardly use it anyway and it saves a few pounds of weight. Hah.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There is a piece on the bottom of the reservoir that fits into a metal slot on the body. It shouldn't be loose. I think it can slip out of the groove or the plastic piece can break off. It isn't the best design.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

If you have never researched headlight washer problems on Z4's, here is a quick summary.

There is a separate, second motor on the washer resevoir dedicated to the headlight washers. The washer is activated at the car's "discretion" . (some folks say every third time you wash your windows, but I've found a puddle of washer fluid in my garage after the car has been off and sitting for a while and I haven't washed the windshield in days).

The pop-up washer's operate 100% on water pressure (water pressure raises the mechanism). It's not an issue of "if" one of these things will fail, it's just a matter of "when" and what type of failure. Many types of falure: they can leak, they won't raise up, they won't fully retract. The body colored "top" can blow off due to highway speeds or can be broken off while washing the car (I'm guessing this happens after a washer doesn't fully retract.

On M cars, the bumper needs to be removed to gain access to the headlight washer mechanism.

Popular consensus is if your car is out of warranty to disable the headlight washers by pulling the "F40" fuse or by pulling the connector to the second pump on the washer reservioir. (I'll be pulling my fuse the second I get my car back from the dealer today after they fix my leaking driver's side headlight washer).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Yeah, my windshield washer reservoir is a bit loose also
      06-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
If you have never researched headlight washer problems on Z4's, here is a quick summary.

There is a separate, second motor on the washer resevoir dedicated to the headlight washers. The washer is activated at the car's "discretion" . (some folks say every third time you wash your windows, but I've found a puddle of washer fluid in my garage after the car has been off and sitting for a while and I haven't washed the windshield in days).

Are you sure that's not water off of your A/C system.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
There is a piece on the bottom of the reservoir that fits into a metal slot on the body. It shouldn't be loose. I think it can slip out of the groove or the plastic piece can break off. It isn't the best design.
I "felt" that metal slot when I was fishing around under there, and kept looking for a piece on the bottom of the reservoir that would fit in there, but it didn't appear to be one. I'll have to spend some more time on that later, just too damn hot right now to mess with this
Appreciate 0