BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

06-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Love this car at a track & minor tweaks help a lot!

Last weekend at Mosport GP was a blast. It was nice to see montreal-red and Al there.

It was also the first time I drove this car at the big track in the dry after some track-specific upgrades (I only drove it once on Mosport GP before in the dry, but it was fully stock on bald PS2s).

What I noticed is how big of a difference relatively small track-specific mods make. After installing better tires, GC coilover kit (with stock EDC shocks), and track pads I could go so much faster and without nearly as much drama. I think the reason for this "upgradability" is that stock M3 is a compromise, hugely skewed towards daily comfort - soft street pads, springs with soft initial response, understeery setup, cushy and skinny tires optimized for comfort and safety in wet weather, etc.

This all can be changed with pretty much different consumables (tires, pads, fluid) and very minor mods (camber plates, maybe springs). And the change is pretty big. Maybe not as much in pure performance but rather in confidence, consistency, and wear and tear.

In one session, I was able to keep up with a Carrera S on PS Cup tires driven by an instructor at full tilt for 5 laps without brake fade or tires (AD08) getting greasy, and after two days my tires look almost like nothing happened. I could not dream about it with the stock set up. I was actually surprised by lack of brake fade, as same set up did fade after about 4-5 hot laps on DDT.

PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE: Do not run M3s at the track with PS2s and stock pads, unless it rains. If you track often, consider camber plates. Otherwise you are compromising your track experience and burning money on tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
Last weekend at Mosport GP was a blast. It was nice to see montreal-red and Al there.
In one session, I was able to keep up with a Carrera S on PS Cup tires driven by an instructor at full tilt for 5 laps without brake fade or tires (AD08) getting greasy, and after two days my tires look almost like nothing happened. I could not dream about it with the stock set up. I was actually surprised by lack of brake fade, as same set up did fade after about 4-5 hot laps on DDT.

[B.
The big track is a lot easier on brakes than the DDT is.I am planning on running my street pads on my Stoptechs on Monday when I am there instructing.When we ran a 24 hour race there on 1 set of pads in the early 90's

I am glad the mods are working out for you.
Appreciate 0