BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

05-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Exclamation WARNING: BMW/Mini of Monrovia - Salesperson- Howie Lam

This review is for Mini of Monrovia SALES, specifically client adviser Howie Lam. Im posting this here because the guy sells BMWs too and ALL prospective customers NEED TO KNOW.

I placed a deposit for a car last week with Howie and initially he was very kind and courteous. He tried to do everything to please us and we could see that.

Unfortunately, one week later, which was today, i had to cancel my order with them because i simply found a better deal that was 35% better than what Monrovia would give me. I text messaged this to Howie and thanked him for his time and assistance.

Well guess what...after he learned about my cancellation, he had the NERVE AND AUDACITY to call me and insult me over the phone. he used name calling and acted very childish and immature. I was in shock and disbelief the manner of unprofessional-ism that had happened over the phone. He raised his voice and yelled at me. In sales, you win some and you lose some..and you MOVE ON...Why act bitter and angry over it?

This was the tipping point for me that prompted me to get a second quote. When i initially made the deal with Howie, i did not even haggle them for ONE CENT. I took the discount they offered and even though i felt i could have done better, i decided to let him have the extra$$...I then called him the next day to confirm that i would be getting floormats and he told me NO..(a little background...i bought two brand new bmws this year and both came with floormats...so i didnt think it would be a big deal so i mentioned it anyway). Its not like i haggled the price and had them selling it to me Below invoice and there would be no more room for $50 bucks or so...it was the principle to me that buying from a luxury car dealer, that i should at the bare minimum get floormats in the car...afterall, Minis arent cheap @ 30k a piece...its not a civic and even on those u get floormats...it was really the fact that i DID NOT Haggle them and when i made a small request, they denied it.

Dont go to this dealership for BMW or Minis...they are shady and u can smell it...too bad for me i learned the hard way...but Howie Lam's nasty character, which genuinely showed thru today made me happy i canceled with them. He only put up a front and wasnt a good person inside. He could have given me the car for free and i wouldnt take it...tainted with his evil stench
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I'm not big fan of text messaging significant news to people, but he still sounds like a tremendous douche.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

What a idiot!!! He's supposed to be a professional and have a moron like that be a face to represent bmw's to the public is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I'm not big fan of text messaging significant news to people, but he still sounds like a tremendous douche.
Well the only reason why i texted him was because I have been calling him since morning and finally decided to text him because he did not return my phone calls nor reply to any of my emails sent over the week...so i said F-it and shoot him the text.

either way, u shouldnt be calling your customers back and yelling at them...he took it personal...and it wasnt the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

you should call BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

dude if anything i think you lack professionalism yourself. your a grown man doing business through txt messaging? why didnt you act like a man and call him to let him know? what gripes me the most about your whole post is that you had the audacity to cancel on someone through a text message so you can hide behind a screen while you leave the salesman hanging, and then try to claim it was him and the floormats. Sorry but i never respect people like you.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
dude if anything i think you lack professionalism yourself. your a grown man doing business through txt messaging? why didnt you act like a man and call him to let him know? what gripes me the most about your whole post is that you had the audacity to cancel on someone through a text message so you can hide behind a screen while you leave the salesman hanging, and then try to claim it was him and the floormats. Sorry but i never respect people like you.
i dont need your respect. like i said above. I CALLED HIM ALL WEEK and EMAILED...NO RESPONSE NOTHING...so i got fed up...actually, before i called him to cancel, i spoke to the sales manager in person and told him. he said OK...it was AFTER that, the CA called me to rip me...i did send a text after i spoke to his mgr..anyhow, i dont have to justify my actions and details to your sorry ass. what gripes me most about your reply is that you dont know 100% of the facts and you go ahead and make this comment...i wouldnt be surprised if u work for that sorry ass dealer....by the way, who is asking for whos business? do i need to kiss up to him and then pay him? WTF is that? its HIS professionalism on the line..NOT MINE..jerk
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

A lot of these sales guys are thugs. That guy simply showed his true color. There should be a section on these forums to expose these a$$holes & crooks.

Re: texting, in this day & age, texting is just as a viable form of business communication as any.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
i dont need your respect. like i said above. I CALLED HIM ALL WEEK and EMAILED...NO RESPONSE NOTHING...so i got fed up...actually, before i called him to cancel, i spoke to the sales manager in person and told him. he said OK...it was AFTER that, the CA called me to rip me...i did send a text after i spoke to his mgr..anyhow, i dont have to justify my actions and details to your sorry ass. what gripes me most about your reply is that you dont know 100% of the facts and you go ahead and make this comment...i wouldnt be surprised if u work for that sorry ass dealer....by the way, who is asking for whos business? do i need to kiss up to him and then pay him? WTF is that? its HIS professionalism on the line..NOT MINE..jerk
hahah im not asking for your business trust me. ive dealt with people like you. there are two sides to every story and its a shame you hafta come on here and bash a sales rep. sure maybe your right and he is an ass, fine, but that doesnt deter from the fact that you didnt even state you called him repeatedly. you just said you txt him to cancel the order. next time find out what day he works and go see him. dont be a big wuss and be afraid to cancel with him in person. / rant.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Quote:
Well the only reason why i texted him was because I have been calling him since morning and finally decided to text him because he did not return my phone calls nor reply to any of my emails sent over the week...so i said F-it and shoot him the text.

either way, u shouldnt be calling your customers back and yelling at them...he took it personal...and it wasnt the case.
seems like he did mention that he tried calling him before getting fed up and shooting the text
      05-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Monrovia is horrible, I had a bad experience with them too. Byron was my salesman and he was a tool and failed to meet every promised deadline and screwed up some paperwork.
      05-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
A lot of these sales guys are thugs. That guy simply showed his true color. There should be a section on these forums to expose these a$$holes & crooks.

Re: texting, in this day & age, texting is just as a viable form of business communication as any.
Here you go
http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=271

And yes I agree; texting/BBM are now so widely used that you can say it's as respectful as an email. I personally did most of my dealing through emails with my CA
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
This review is for Mini of Monrovia SALES, specifically client adviser Howie Lam. Im posting this here because the guy sells BMWs too and ALL prospective customers NEED TO KNOW.

I placed a deposit for a car last week with Howie and initially he was very kind and courteous. He tried to do everything to please us and we could see that.

Unfortunately, one week later, which was today, i had to cancel my order with them because i simply found a better deal that was 35% better than what Monrovia would give me. I text messaged this to Howie and thanked him for his time and assistance.

Well guess what...after he learned about my cancellation, he had the NERVE AND AUDACITY to call me and insult me over the phone. he used name calling and acted very childish and immature. I was in shock and disbelief the manner of unprofessional-ism that had happened over the phone. He raised his voice and yelled at me. In sales, you win some and you lose some..and you MOVE ON...Why act bitter and angry over it?

This was the tipping point for me that prompted me to get a second quote. When i initially made the deal with Howie, i did not even haggle them for ONE CENT. I took the discount they offered and even though i felt i could have done better, i decided to let him have the extra$$...I then called him the next day to confirm that i would be getting floormats and he told me NO..(a little background...i bought two brand new bmws this year and both came with floormats...so i didnt think it would be a big deal so i mentioned it anyway). Its not like i haggled the price and had them selling it to me Below invoice and there would be no more room for $50 bucks or so...it was the principle to me that buying from a luxury car dealer, that i should at the bare minimum get floormats in the car...afterall, Minis arent cheap @ 30k a piece...its not a civic and even on those u get floormats...it was really the fact that i DID NOT Haggle them and when i made a small request, they denied it.

Dont go to this dealership for BMW or Minis...they are shady and u can smell it...too bad for me i learned the hard way...but Howie Lam's nasty character, which genuinely showed thru today made me happy i canceled with them. He only put up a front and wasnt a good person inside. He could have given me the car for free and i wouldnt take it...tainted with his evil stench
I am in sales and I hate cancellations by email and text. I just dont think its right but if you have repeatedly called and left a message with no return I understand why. I would of at least told him the deal I was getting to see if he would be able to meet it. If you didnt do that I understand why he would be upset but that doesnt mean he should be unprofessional about it. Yes texting and emails are widely use but to me are not respectful way of business, especially for sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

rich, you gave him a lot more respect than i would have. if i were in your shoes and someone was trying to blow smoke up my ass and rip me off, i wouldnt even call him back. snakes like those arent even worth calling calling back and they lose all respect in my eyes.

you called him, sent multiple emails, and talked to the sales manager. i would have just walked away.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
MangoConChile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

I'm curious how did the call exactly go? What were his insults and such...sometimes I read these stories and am shocked at some people act. I would have just hung up on him once the first insult came out
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Here you go
http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=271

And yes I agree; texting/BBM are now so widely used that you can say it's as respectful as an email. I personally did most of my dealing through emails with my CA
Ahhh, good to know.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Sames sales man I had and a dishonest one. I sent them an email which I posted on yelp. C R O O K S ! ! !

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bmw-of-monro...LXCgg/src:self

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
Monrovia is horrible, I had a bad experience with them too. Byron was my salesman and he was a tool and failed to meet every promised deadline and screwed up some paperwork.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoConChile View Post
I'm curious how did the call exactly go? What were his insults and such...sometimes I read these stories and am shocked at some people act. I would have just hung up on him once the first insult came out
That's honestly the best way to handle it, and the method that will also most enrage the dipshit sales person ; )
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #19
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrifeM3 View Post
I am in sales and I hate cancellations by email and text. I just dont think its right but if you have repeatedly called and left a message with no return I understand why. I would of at least told him the deal I was getting to see if he would be able to meet it. If you didnt do that I understand why he would be upset but that doesnt mean he should be unprofessional about it. Yes texting and emails are widely use but to me are not respectful way of business, especially for sales.
ok...ill give you that...but like i said above...i CALLED the manager to cancel my order...THEN, i texted the CA immediately after..since the CA did not respond to any of my emails and vmails throughout the course of the week...sorry if i wasnt clear, i wrote the initial review right after it had happened so i was upset at the situation and maybe left out a sentence here and there,...i had no idea some would turn it against me and make this thread about texting a cancellation order...its NOT about that....

REGARDLESS of text or no text, the CA should NEVER EVER by any means call me back to insult me and HARASS me. If you go shopping for a house and decide to later not buy it, does your real estate agent come hounding you on the phone asking why you didnt buy it and questioning your business acumen and integrity?? WTF is that?

if u go to best buy to sample a big screen TV and end up buying on Amazon because its cheaper...do the salesmen on the floor run after you out the door yelling and screaming if you dont buy from them but took up their time looking at the TV set??

Ive lost clients before in my career...HELL, ive tripled the portfolio of one of my clients in the past by dumping his nest egg into AAPL when it was $90/sh.....as soon as AAPL hit 280 the jerk acatted his account to WFC...anyhow, i DID NOT even call him to harass and insult him...its sales..u win some, u lose some...try to figure out why u lost, and move the fuck on...im not going to call his ass up and insult him for leaving me.

As a matter of fact, the son of bitch texted me this morning harassing me again...and added a comment saying that i have "no conscience" for canceling on him.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
you should call BMW NA
thanks for reminding me..its been done, reported, filed, stamped and sealed. we shall see
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, that guy sounds like a real scumbag.

And by the looks of the reviews on yelp, you're not the only one who has had problems with that dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
ok...ill give you that...but like i said above...i CALLED the manager to cancel my order...THEN, i texted the CA immediately after..since the CA did not respond to any of my emails and vmails throughout the course of the week...sorry if i wasnt clear, i wrote the initial review right after it had happened so i was upset at the situation and maybe left out a sentence here and there,...i had no idea some would turn it against me and make this thread about texting a cancellation order...its NOT about that....

REGARDLESS of text or no text, the CA should NEVER EVER by any means call me back to insult me and HARASS me. If you go shopping for a house and decide to later not buy it, does your real estate agent come hounding you on the phone asking why you didnt buy it and questioning your business acumen and integrity?? WTF is that?

if u go to best buy to sample a big screen TV and end up buying on Amazon because its cheaper...do the salesmen on the floor run after you out the door yelling and screaming if you dont buy from them but took up their time looking at the TV set??

Ive lost clients before in my career...HELL, ive tripled the portfolio of one of my clients in the past by dumping his nest egg into AAPL when it was $90/sh.....as soon as AAPL hit 280 the jerk acatted his account to WFC...anyhow, i DID NOT even call him to harass and insult him...its sales..u win some, u lose some...try to figure out why u lost, and move the fuck on...im not going to call his ass up and insult him for leaving me.

As a matter of fact, the son of bitch texted me this morning harassing me again...and added a comment saying that i have "no conscience" for canceling on him.
Take a photo of the text. If you're on iPhone, hit the home and power button. Post on thread. Commence troll.
Appreciate 0