BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Opinion of track gurus on my autox video

I thought I can ask opinions of more experienced people here to take a look at my video and point out my mistakes. This is from last Saturday:

My first HPDS will be on April 28th. I have total of 3 HPDS booked for this year. Maybe I will do a 4th one. Other than that, I volunteer with PCA guys at Bremerton for their driver skills day. That way, at the end of the day, I get to do some laps on the autox course. I have several of those to attend.

Thank you!
      04-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Nice camera position
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Nice camera position
Not the feedback I'm looking But thanks Yes I like it, because I can see the course, and my steering input so I can see where I wans't smooth etc.
      04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Not the feedback I'm looking But thanks Yes I like it, because I can see the course, and my steering input so I can see where I wans't smooth etc.
It is very hard to tell from a video as you are missing the physical input to know what the car is doing.I have autocrossed since I was 16 and have had 2 Canadian National championships in Mustangs so I should be able to help you .The biggest thing that I can tell you slow in fast out will help you a lot more than anything else that you do and do not be afraid to slide to car to position it where it helps you out.Also make sure all the electronic nannies are turned off so you can pivot the car where you need to.High horse rwd vehicles are a lot of fun to autocross
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
It is very hard to tell from a video as you are missing the physical input to know what the car is doing.I have autocrossed since I was 16 and have had 2 Canadian National championships in Mustangs so I should be able to help you .The biggest thing that I can tell you slow in fast out will help you a lot more than anything else that you do.Also make sure all the electronic nannies are turned off so you can pivot the car where you need to.High horse rwd vehicles are a lot of fun to autocross
Thanks. DSC was off. I kept braking early (as oppose to late) for that 180degree turn in the middle of the run. And I try to drift out from the last hairpin to position the car pointing left (to practice as if I would have to go there).
      04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
kyoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

this is a nice autocross course! Does that 2 mean it stayed in 2nd the entire time?

Are you in the Stock class?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
this is a nice autocross course! Does that 2 mean it stayed in 2nd the entire time?

Are you in the Stock class?
I shifted 2 after the first very sharp right turn and stayed there. I think someone with more skill can do 3rd gear for a short time.

This was not a timed-event, so there were no class. This was an open course after a day of car control clinic which I volunteered. As I result, I get to run for free. My car is stock.
      04-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

In the slalom section it looks like you are giving two inputs as if the 1st Input to set the steering input wasn't enough and then yank the wheel some more. Try to be smooth and only make the one input.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Both of these comments have already been made, but they are the most important so worth repeating.

1) Go slow in slow parts and fast in fast parts
2) Smooooooth inputs (steering, throttle and brakes)

If you take any sort of driving school (track or autox) you will hear these over and over again.

Your run looked pretty good to me, btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I couldn't really see the course because the camera position only really showed the right side well. On the big left-hand U-turn you were early on the brakes and late on the gas. You could cut some pylons closer and get on the gas earlier as you come to the end of the slalom.

You're appropriately aggressive for now. Work on being smoother onto the throttle and brakes.

If you not left-foot braking, then start doing it to help keep the car balanced as you go from throttle to brake. On those U-turns you can gain a lot by learning to trail-brake well into the corner, as much as half-way through. It's an advanced technique. Often you can trail-brake into a U-turn, let the car rotate around the apex and then roll into the throttle (you jumped it a time or two) to stop the rotation and accelerate out.

You're off to a good start. Seat time counts a lot, so take every opportunity to drive at speed.

Dave
      04-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When coming to a slow speed corner, i.e. the last one, perhaps practice some trail braking? It will really help you rotate the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
When coming to a slow speed corner, i.e. the last one, perhaps practice some trail braking? It will really help you rotate the car.
Trail braking also lets you brake later, corner faster and, finally, rotate the car at the apex. Trail braking while left-foot braking allows for a really smooth transition from braking to full power.

It's more easily said than done, but when you get the hang of it, it'l speed you up considerably.

Dave
      04-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm practicing left foot braking on the street. I will start practicing on the track/autox when I have more confidence on my left foot.

I will try trail braking at the next event.

Thanks again!
      04-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm practicing left foot braking on the street. I will start practicing on the track/autox when I have more confidence on my left foot.

I will try trail braking at the next event.

Thanks again!
With an automatic, make left-braking your default mode. Then when you compete it'll be totally natural and dialed in. On track, it's ok to have a little throttle and brake at the same time, but on the street it'll cost you money, so, on the street, put you left foot on the dead-pedal when not actually braking. I think it's the prefered method for both street and track.

Dave
      04-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
With an automatic, make left-braking your default mode. Then when you compete it'll be totally natural and dialed in. On track, it's ok to have a little throttle and brake at the same time, but on the street it'll cost you money, so, on the street, put you left foot on the dead-pedal when not actually braking. I think it's the prefered method for both street and track.

Dave
Does M3 allow us to do gas and brake at the same time? Any delay? Some cars I have tried that actually would not allow me to do 2 things at once.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

what camera?
not the gopro im guessing bc the audio quality is way too good

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
what camera?
not the gopro im guessing bc the audio quality is way too good
I use GoPro for vids. But I use Zoom HD to record audio. It was attached to lower rear bumper. I forgot the wind filter attachment (foam thing), that would help with the wind noise.

I need to find a better way of doing this though. It is fine for autox, but I don't want a sound recorder hanging at there. I will try and find a external mic with a couple feet cable. That way, I might put the recorder in the trunk and tape the mic on the rear bumper or put the mic in the engine bay maybe...

04-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
Does M3 allow us to do gas and brake at the same time? Any delay? Some cars I have tried that actually would not allow me to do 2 things at once.
Well, that would suck. I don't know for the DCT; however, in one of the many DCT vs. MT threads one DCT-hugger said that the ability to left foot brake was one of the advantages of DCT (clearly not realizing that those of us with MTs also LFB). No one mentioned if your foot had to be off the gas to brake. I would think it'd be a safety issue to not allow it, like if you didn't have your floormat properly nailed down and it kept the throttle on, ala Toyota, when you were trying to stop.

The place that I'm most likely to use both at the same time is in a slalom. I find that I can balance and settle the car with the brake, without getting off the gas. Of course drivers with turbo cars will gain even more by keeping their cars up to boost and might never get totally off the throttle.

Dave