BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Does anybody know who stocks DWSs in 255/275-35-19? They're nationally backordered.

Just like the title says folks. After 3 years the M3 has been out, nobody has made a freaking ultra-high-performance all-season tire in the rear size, so it's not going to happen. When finally decided to go a size up (didn't want to), the only alternative I know of is nationally backordered. Geez.

If somebody know of a place who has a set in the specified sizes, I'd appreciate a heads up. And if anybody knows of another DWS alternative that is equally quiet, please shoot. Thanks gang.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

It seems as though a LOT of tires are either backordered or VERY low in stock in 245/35 or 255/35 sizes. Especially Continental. I don't know what is up but its a pain in the butt for me too!!
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
It seems as though a LOT of tires are either backordered or VERY low in stock in 245/35 or 255/35 sizes. Especially Continental. I don't know what is up but its a pain in the butt for me too!!
I've never been held hostage by tires before . I waited 2+ years for somebody to make BMW's stupid choice of tire combination in UHP A/Ss and nothing. It was either the front or rear, but not both. Then when I decide to go up one size, there're no choices either except Continental DWSs, and they're backordered at least until May. Geez. Oh well. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

I've actually gotten such a good price quote from a local GM (yes, GENERAL MOTORS) dealer on the DWSs that I only saved less than $50 ordering from Tirerack. Yet, I ordered from Tirerack in a hurry, just because the 255/35R19 size in my case was in stock for all of TWO DAYS.

Hey, don't knock the GM dealer.... They have a Hunter to support the Corvette and Caddy CTS-V programs, gave me a kicking deal on road-force balancing too if I purchased from them....

Dunno how much snow you get down there in El Paso, but you might want to consider the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in the same sizes? Not as good in snow or wet according to Tirerack testing, but better in the dry. More expensive and the warranty is not as good, but at least they are in stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ are the best handling all-season tires. Continental Extreme DWS are better than the Michelins in snow, but not quite as responsive in steering.

All-season tires do give up summer grip for tread life and cold weather traction. Not everyone misses the grip, but I can generally tell in my own driving.

If you think that all season tires are right for your situation, make sure to go in with your eyes open. If you know the tradeoff that you are making, you will probably be happy. If you assume they will be just like PS2 and its competitors in the summer, you may be disappointed.

My usual advice is to do summer/winter changeover, but as noted above there can be special circumstances.
You've probably seen this posting before (from another thread) as you posted on that thread yourself. It's another reco for the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
      03-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
Dunno how much snow you get down there in El Paso, but you might want to consider the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in the same sizes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
You've probably seen this posting before (from another thread) as you posted on that thread yourself. It's another reco for the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
Thanks guys. Will look into them, but doubt they're a better value than the DWSs. And it's pretty warm here already, so no rush; have until October to get them.

And no, don't get much snow here, plus I don't take the M out when forecasted, but it definitely gets pretty cold, and the PS2s are crap in the cold too, especially if mixed with rain. That's why an all-season tire heavily biased towards performance is all this car needs for the majority of owners, which is certainly my case (live in the flat desert and don't track the car). Summer tires are an absolute overkill for me, plus they're a lot more expensive, last a lot less, and are a lot noisier as well. Thank you for your input. Have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

...they're also almost $100 more per tire than the DWS, the warranty is not as good and there's no road hazard warranty included. Still, better in the dry and they're always in stock :P
Appreciate 0