ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

RPi mini anecdote

So the RPi GT axle-back system has been on my car for roughly 1kmi, and I'm still in love with it. Haters will never change their opinions of the exhaust, but imo, it sounds like a racecar. to put the loudness of the exhaust note into perspective, when i drove the r8 the other day, i stalled coming out of the driveway because i couldnt hear the engine running. It is almost silent compared to the cockpit sounds of my Moupe. Conversely, my neighbors told me that they cant hear it from inside their house unless i blip the throttle when pulling out of my garage, so that's good news. But onto the story.

First off, I live around the block from an elementary school (my old grammar school). Yesterday when I was driving by the school's playground, during recess, boys playing basketball literally called timeout and stopped their game to watch me drive by. As i pulled up to a stop sign (not 30 feet from the court) the kids yelled for me to rev the engine. Who am I to refuse a child some midday magic? I pressed the go-pedal a few times and watched the aural domination of the RPi reach the kids playing kickball a few more yards away.

However, apparently communicating with 4th graders on school property, while in a running vehicle is frowned upon these days, as one of the monitors came over and told me I had to go. Lol What the Hell, i thought, I might as will give these kids something besides Pokemon to talk about at lunch. I told the stern woman that I was sorry and that i was leaving immediately. After asking to her permission to "'by the tower" (which she understandably did not understand) I put the car in 1st. While her face said, "negative, Ghostrider" I turned right at the stop sign, and went WOT to 30 mph, sans wheel-spin.

In my usually useless rearview mirror i saw no less than 4 boys literally jumping up and down, with both hands in the air. like this:

Thats how Bruce Wayne must feel. All the time.

Disclaimer: Yes, school zones are no-no areas for speeding. No, i was not speeding. I was going 30 in a 35 (school borders a main road).

Many people are quick to judge, but I was being very safe. No sliding, or fishtailing, and there were no other cars at that time. I honestly just thought if i were one of those bballers, i would have wanted to see the car go fast and make some good noises.

Just thought id share with you guys it made my day
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Hahahaha Top Gun references never get old.

My girlfriend hates when we drive the coupe places because of all the attention it gets.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Great story! I'm sure it made the day of those kids. I was expecting a po po ticket fail at some point. Glad that never entered the story.

Last edited by ANUSTART; 03-11-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Awesome. You know you've got an awesome car when kids drop what they're doing and just run to get a closer look.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Kids don't lie. Awesome is as awesome does.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Carter
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Z4m coupe

I like it when I drive it with low rev's first thing in the morning trying not to wake my street up and the low tones set the occasional car alarm off. And I have to sneak away fast.
Happy dayz
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

this story made my effing afternoon....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post

This exhaust gets toooo much attention.

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

i finally got to hear my rpi's from outside the other day, and it's a great deal louder than in the cabin! had a friend take my m coupe for a short spin down the deserted hill country road and back up, and he never took it more than 4.5k on the rpm so he says. disappointed he didn't gun it more this thing must sound like the world is ending at WOT!

ecc, the chance to drive an r8 in itself is already rather magical, so i'd say tt makes up for it being such a mouse compared with the rpi's on the m coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
Hahahaha Top Gun references never get old.

My girlfriend hates when we drive the coupe places because of all the attention it gets.
Love Top Gun and same with my girlfriend haha. I like it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
Great story! I'm sure it made the day of those kids. I was expecting a po po ticket fail at some point. Glad that never entered the story.
Thanks haha i already had a popo fail recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Awesome. You know you've got an awesome car when kids drop what they're doing and just run to get a closer look.
lol yup- always makes me feel good when youngins ask about the car. No jealousy or resentment, just pure enjoyment. The essence of driving, itself, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongnoi View Post
haha I like that quote! Btw, which r32 do you have, MK Iv or V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
I like it when I drive it with low rev's first thing in the morning trying not to wake my street up and the low tones set the occasional car alarm off. And I have to sneak away fast.
Happy dayz
Lmao gotta love the small things! i suggest you try that in a parking garage.. Ive set off 4 consecutive cars in a row, before. gooood times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
glad to hear it, mate

I'll let u know when i get my J Bieber sticker for the M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post

This exhaust gets toooo much attention.
for sure lol how do you like your rpi scoops? any noticeable gains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
i finally got to hear my rpi's from outside the other day, and it's a great deal louder than in the cabin! had a friend take my m coupe for a short spin down the deserted hill country road and back up, and he never took it more than 4.5k on the rpm so he says. disappointed he didn't gun it more this thing must sound like the world is ending at WOT!

ecc, the chance to drive an r8 in itself is already rather magical, so i'd say tt makes up for it being such a mouse compared with the rpi's on the m coupe.
i've yet to hear them for myself looking forward to it, though lol

And I'm glad you like the R8 It's my dad's and unfortunately i look like a massive assclown when i drive it, so I limit my seat-time. On rare occasions when people say shat to me while driving it, I just smile and tell them to invest in Apple. That usually shuts them up haha
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongnoi View Post
That is awesome. I had the unfortunate opportunity of having a day care move in right next door to my place. While hearing screaming kids is a pisser, I love their reaction when I pull the ZMC out of the garage. They all stop and go over to the fence and stare. Some of them, mostly the little boys, get so excited. Having your fan club show you off is a great way to start the day!!!

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
That is awesome. I had the unfortunate opportunity of having a day care move in right next door to my place. While hearing screaming kids is a pisser, I love their reaction when I pull the ZMC out of the garage. They all stop and go over to the fence and stare. Some of them, mostly the little boys, get so excited. Having your fan club show you off is a great way to start the day!!!
Lol @ fan club- Such a good feeling when the chillun like your ride
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^+1. it's always a selfishly good feeling when u know others, especially the innocent children, think u drive one sexy piece of kit

i've always appreciated the r8 for its impact when it first came out. the sideblades, menacing led lamps, fact tt it looked like nothing else on the market etc.
Appreciate 0