ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
ESS DirectFlash handheld programmer

I just noticed the ad in Roundel this month. Has anyone seen this?

Roman, if you're still hanging around here, if we have an ESS tune, do we still need to send our ECU in for a second modification for this handheld to operate?

http://www.esstuning.com/products/ES...Software-.html

Last edited by thekurgan; 03-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: sp3ll1ng
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I just noticed the ad in Roundel this month. Has anyone seen this?

Roman, if you're still hanging around here, if we have an ESS tune, do we still need to send our ECU in for a second modification for this handheld to operate?

http://www.esstuning.com/products/ES...Software-.html
I'll chime in just cause i know since i recently ordered this. the handheld is a flash that the user does through the obdII port. you don't have to touch your ecu whatsoever. it is all directly from the handheld into the obdII port
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
I'll chime in just cause i know since i recently ordered this. the handheld is a flash that the user does through the obdII port. you don't have to touch your ecu whatsoever. it is all directly from the handheld into the obdII port
Thanks man, this thew me:

"When you order this product, you will receive information on how to remove your ECU for shipment to a ESS reprogramming center near you. ECU's are return shipped within 24hrs excluding weekends and holidays."

You'll have to let us know how it functions, etc.
      03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, this thew me:

"When you order this product, you will receive information on how to remove your ECU for shipment to a ESS reprogramming center near you. ECU's are return shipped within 24hrs excluding weekends and holidays."

You'll have to let us know how it functions, etc.
yea i thought the same thing when i ordered. but thats the same description for their tune, when it was just the flash that went directly unto the ecu. they didnt totally change the description

unfortunately, i will not be able to test it out until may, when i get back and take the car out of storage.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pretty good review here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=356182

I was just wondering how many different "tunes" ESS may provide or is it just the single tune. I would totally understand if ESS didn't put too much more effort into the S54 though and kudos to them for bringing the OBD tuning to us.
      03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty good review here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=356182

I was just wondering how many different "tunes" ESS may provide or is it just the single tune. I would totally understand if ESS didn't put too much more effort into the S54 though and kudos to them for bringing the OBD tuning to us.
it's one tune, but you can have it set-up to your liking. also you can store up to 10 maps total, not sure how much each extra one costs, if it costs anything at all. they can email you new ones when you want to change it, or your set up changes. i had it optimized for 93 octane, AA headers, 3.91 gears, and my gruppe-m, also raised rev limiter to 8200 and remove stock speed limiter.

i'm just using the rev limiter to shift comfortably at 8,000 with some room for forgiveness if i miss it slightly. i dont inted to rev much higher
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Does it store your Stock map before flashing? (i.e. is there any way to revert back to your stock map?)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
Does it store your Stock map before flashing? (i.e. is there any way to revert back to your stock map?)
yes it does, and yes you can switch between maps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

What if you have another form of aftermarket software? Does the unit come with a stock map in place? Or will it simply assume what is on the car before it updates the tune is stock?

Thanks.
      03-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Just got mine today, waiting for ESS to email me back my tune.

It takes about 20 minutes to read the stock ECU with the flash unit, so be prepared to wait
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
It would be sweet if you could get a tune with the adaptive throttle disabled entirely.
      03-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
What if you have another form of aftermarket software? Does the unit come with a stock map in place? Or will it simply assume what is on the car before it updates the tune is stock?

Thanks.
It does not come with a stock map in place. I believe what it does is take the information off of the car is it currentyl sits, and that becomes the base "stock" map. dont quote me though, as i havent looked into this, as i am not tuned yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bol View Post
Just got mine today, waiting for ESS to email me back my tune.

It takes about 20 minutes to read the stock ECU with the flash unit, so be prepared to wait
So we still have to email? I believe i ordered my handheld through sonic ms with a tune already in place.

Quote:
It would be sweet if you could get a tune with the adaptive throttle disabled entirely.
I would love that too. but i just go ahead and do the throttle adaption key trick fairly often then go romp on the car a little bit immediately after
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Quote:
I would love that too. but i just go ahead and do the throttle adaption key trick fairly often then go romp on the car a little bit immediately after
How do you do the throttle adaption key trick? I've read about it before in a couple different places but neither was really specific about which ignition position (I or II) to use.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
How do you do the throttle adaption key trick? I've read about it before in a couple different places but neither was really specific about which ignition position (I or II) to use.
hmmm i believe it was mfanatic who posted it on here, i have it saved on my personal computer, but i'm not by that at the moment. someone could probably chime in on here how to do this. also i believe it's on bills web space
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
So we still have to email? I believe i ordered my handheld through sonic ms with a tune already in place.
The unit you get is dead and useless essentially without scanning your ecu, emailing it to ESS for them to modify and sending it back since. Still have to email ESS.
Appreciate 0