BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Full AA Exhaust help

Anyone have a full AA exhaust, meaning rear and x-pipe, either catless or high flow? I have decided on the AA exhaust rear and its in the mail, but I have the ability to change which x-pipe I want, if either.

I'm mostly interested in the noise from the cat-less, race x-pipe as well as any smell complaints. Is it too loud? Is the smell noticeable at all in the car? I went with the AA rear because it sounds to me like a nice middle road between the loud (Meiserschaft) and the subtle (Dinan). Thanks, guys, last post about exhaust, I promise.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

I have the full AA System along with their tune and you're going to love it! I started out with the catless X-pipe but, I couldn't take the smell so I had them install the HFC's. There is virtually no change in tone and the smell is gone. You're in Florida also and the smell with the windows down can be pretty intense. Are you getting their tune also? If not theirs or another tune, you will get CEL's. My $.02, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
I have the full AA System along with their tune and you're going to love it! I started out with the catless X-pipe but, I couldn't take the smell so I had them install the HFC's. There is virtually no change in tone and the smell is gone. You're in Florida also and the smell with the windows down can be pretty intense. Are you getting their tune also? If not theirs or another tune, you will get CEL's. My $.02, enjoy
Hmmm.... makes me think. Can I order the cats separately and install them later if the smell becomes too much of an issue?

And as for Tune, I am doing some thinking about that. I'd rather go with Dinan for the tune just because I feel more comfortable with them... but i'm not sure, and maybe this is stupid to question, but can there software fix the CEL in another company's exhaust? I'm assuming so, but just want to check
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

Yes, you can order the HFC's seperately, I think they're like $4-500, can't remember. I don't know anything about Dinan but I'm sure their software will get rid of CEL's on an AA exhaust. Active is 10 minutes from my house and they have been tuning only BMW's for 30 years. Their staff is amazing! I love the tune, I had my car in for service last week and the new BMW software update cancelled the AA program. Stopped by for them to re-install and, the difference is night and day, pulls so much harder, especially on the top of the rpm range. You're getting their whole exhaust system, why not get the tune that was made by the same manufacturer? Anyway, the choice is yours, enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Anyone have a full AA exhaust, meaning rear and x-pipe, either catless or high flow? I have decided on the AA exhaust rear and its in the mail, but I have the ability to change which x-pipe I want, if either.

I'm mostly interested in the noise from the cat-less, race x-pipe as well as any smell complaints. Is it too loud? Is the smell noticeable at all in the car? I went with the AA rear because it sounds to me like a nice middle road between the loud (Meiserschaft) and the subtle (Dinan). Thanks, guys, last post about exhaust, I promise.
Is you car convertible? The HFC do help out with the smell but it is only an issue at a long stop with the windows down..

As far as the tone goes it is not much different while cruising around town so that shouldnt be a problem
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Is you car convertible? The HFC do help out with the smell but it is only an issue at a long stop with the windows down..

As far as the tone goes it is not much different while cruising around town so that shouldnt be a problem
Great, thank you for chiming in. I have a coupe and rarely have my windows down so the car's pretty sealed up.

Anybody used Dinan ECU with an AA catless? Or any catless for that matter? Main reason for asking is will it remove the CEL ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I have the full AA exhaust with HFC and the AA Tune as well, great setup! Sounds great.

The Dinan tune for the middle racing exhaust will eliminate the CEL. Just go for the AA tune IMO, since you will have their full set up anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
The Dinan tune for the middle racing exhaust will eliminate the CEL.
I have this tune with a cat less challenge and Akra set up and have no issues with the CEL... That tune is specifically designed to address the CEL.
      03-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
Yes, you can order the HFC's seperately, I think they're like $4-500, can't remember. I don't know anything about Dinan but I'm sure their software will get rid of CEL's on an AA exhaust. Active is 10 minutes from my house and they have been tuning only BMW's for 30 years. Their staff is amazing! I love the tune, I had my car in for service last week and the new BMW software update cancelled the AA program. Stopped by for them to re-install and, the difference is night and day, pulls so much harder, especially on the top of the rpm range. You're getting their whole exhaust system, why not get the tune that was made by the same manufacturer? Anyway, the choice is yours, enjoy.
Well, in my mind, Dinan has the reputation of being a very reputable company. I have no experience with AA and when messing with something as important as the ECU, I'd like it to be done by a company with a good relationship with BMW and a strong warranty program to back it up. With that being said, I know very little about AA as a company nor their warranty policies, maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
I have this tune with a cat less challenge and Akra set up and have no issues with the CEL... That tune is specifically designed to address the CEL.
Thank you for the input, I'll probably be going with Dinan. My shop loves Dinan stuff anyway and can do the tune there.
Appreciate 0