BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
xilli
Resident kangaroo salesman
Australia
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / VW Amarok

Smile Gintani resonated X-Pipe

Hi all

I've got a few questions about peoples experiences with the resonated x-pipe. I currently have the race rear section installed on my M3 and as many would be aware, there is a drone below 2.5 / 3 which is quite intense in vibration and volume inside the cabin, especially when in 6th/7th gear using automatic mode.

I am wanting to resolve this problem the best way i can but also looking into the x-pipe option for the power benefits. I am curious about peoples experiences with the product. I am looking to purchase the pipe with four resonators and the high flow cats. The questions i have are -

1. Is there a significant reduction in drone at lower RPM or are the resonators mainly aimed at reducing rasp?

2. Is there a significant volume increase over the standard race rear section?

3. Has anyone used a different method of x-pipe / resonators to reduce this drone problem?

I am aware your never going to eliminate the noise completely, but the resonance in the cabin at 60 and 100km/h is mildly irritating if your trying to have a conversation with someone in the car. The noise of the system during acceleration and the sound it produces is beautiful, i would't want to reduce that at all it's purely the drone at lower rpm.

Any help greatly appreciated guys! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Switch to a sport version with their 4 res mid section.

Same can same sound but a longer can for sound supression. No offense, but you ordered a RACE version exhaust and assumed it would be nice on the street at resonate areas? Comes with the territory.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
xilli
Resident kangaroo salesman
Australia
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / VW Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT M3 View Post
Switch to a sport version with their 4 res mid section.

Same can same sound but a longer can for sound supression. No offense, but you ordered a RACE version exhaust and assumed it would be nice on the street at resonate areas? Comes with the territory.
Fair call. I did a fair bit of research and review reading before i purchased and the majority seemed to say the sport was too quiet. The general consensus on the race was that it didn't have too much drone in comparison to some systems, i guess everyones perception of 'too much' is different though. I'm certainly not whining about my decision, i absolutely love the sound and volume it has it's just the drone.

I guess I'm just looking for the best solution from here, id much rather keep my race system if it's an option and fit some resonators. Unfortunately being in Australia for me to 'swap' the system I'm instantly up for $500USD in shipping on top of the exhaust just to get it here..

If anyone has experience with the resonated xpipe and race section i would love to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

If anything the car will get louder with an X pipe, that is a given. The resonated pipes might make a bit less boomy down low but the volume will be physically louder everywhere by removing the catalyst restrictions. By removing the front kat pipes on a Sport version the volume increased a good 10%

IMO, The sport is NOT quiet at all which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

thats not quiet at all LOL

I have this set-up sitting on the floor of my garage waiting to be installed, when I do Ill post up a review thread....id recommend a catless xpipe with 4 res and the sport exhaust !
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Sounds mean !
Gintani makes great exhaust systems for the M3s at very reasonable prices compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
1Cyrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe

I love my Gintani....nothing bad to say about the system! Amazing power, and a truly "exotic sound"...
Appreciate 0