BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Rotate / Flip Track tires for this season. Thoughts?

Last year was my first season of Time Trials.. had 3 events + 1 auto cross.

I estimated about 40-50 laps per event 1.5 to 2.0 miles per lap, and thru in an auto cross for good measure. also drove about 250-300 street miles on them.

I have Hankook RS3's square set up (225/45/17) on 7.5" wheels ( dedicated Track set up )

For each event i rotated front to back, as they are rotational and i was not dismounting between each event, to help with left side , espically left front shoulder wear.

as i used my track wheels to use for my winter tires, i have the opportunity to now put my lefts on my rights and vs versa when i take my winter tires off, hence my outside left shoulder would now be my inside right etc etc.

Question is.... should i do this? will car pull differently with tires worn to the other side?? any opinions would be great..

Thanks in advance !!
      03-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Little1er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i

I was wondering this too as I just wore through the stock runflats in 6k miles. I am putting on Z1 and was thinking about flipping them after a few thousand miles to get a new inner edge of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Definitely not a bad idea if you want to increase the longevity of your tires. Drive quality shouldn't be too adversely affected as long as there is usable tread left on the "old" side of the tires.

I just flipped my R6 takeoffs for the same reason . . . getting very close to cords on the front outsides. I moved the front tires to the back rims and flipped them.

These are 245s, all corners on stock size Breytons.
Appreciate 0