ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Feeler: Coding Service

It kills me to pay the dealer $150 to plug in a cable and flip a few switches. So I'm thinking of buying Bavarian Technic Software http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx so I can code stuff, mostly the 3-blink option, DRL, etc. But also once I'm out of warranty a diagnostic toolset is a nice to have. Thankfully most of the newer BMW inspections can be reset through the dash, so I'm most interested in coding and diagnostics.

I did consider buying one for the group, but I think sending the software and cable around, tech support, etc would be a PITA.

Is there interest in getting a group of Bay Area BMW owners together and pay $30 for me to code whatever you want? If I can get 10-15 people to pay I feel like the balance of $350 will pay back after a couple codings.

What do you guys think? Any interest?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
franco209
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I see a lot of "No" under activations for Z4s.
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/model...atrix.aspx#e85
Can you confirm?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Based on the model/feature matrix, I don't know that its worth the money

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/model...atrix.aspx#e85

very few coding options.

[edited] Jinx...

^^+1

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

I'm actually offering coding services now anyway to the board,

See my Euro light coding thread I made recently,
I can do anything the dealer can and anything the factory can lol

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'd be down to pay you $30 Santov, to code whateverz

edit: eff...just read all the "no's" and shat my pants

Last edited by mfanatic325; 03-01-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder why their table says no to most options. That doesn't make much sense. I forgot about registering new batteries and activating alarm systems. That makes it worth it in savings from the what the stealer charges. I'll investigate what it really can do and maybe another company.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
The coding for each chassis is different, and Bavarian Technic has not yet figured out the coding procedure for the Z4 yet.

That means you must use the dealer software (aka GT1). If you are very computer savvy you can setup and install a copy of the softwate and just buy a cable and diagnostic head. Whole setup run me about $80.

Again, it's a very complex setup, and you'll need to work ~20 hours on the whole thing to get it setup properly. Nothing beats having the factory software though.

Chris
      03-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Why would the dealer charge you for doing services? Seriously become a buddy buddy with an SA and fight for it since car is still under warranty. Tell them you didnt know you had these options because of the salesman. What i do is just wait for oil service or something to break down then i take the car in then pitch the idea to do all my coding. Thats what i did ony my last oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Because they're stealershits...of course they're going to push for every buck possible.

Plus, I've lost all respect for my SA since the last time I went in. The service paper said they changed my oil with 5W30 and when I brought this up to my SA, at first he told me that it was correct. Then when he saw the worried look on my face he said he'd go ask and clarify. They claim that it was just a typo, and that they actually put in what was recommended: 10W60.
At the same time, I brought in the Motorsport grade engine mount bracket bolts along with NordLock washers and kindly asked my SA to have the shop foreman swap out my bolts for me with the provided hardware. He promised me that everything could be done, free of charge no problem. Then a day or two later I get a call from him claiming that the bolts were "aftermarket" and they would have to charge me 2 hours of labor for it. WTF?!
I informed him that it was a BMW Motorsport part, so it was indeed OEM. That shut him up for a good couple of hours. THEN he calls me back and says that since the bolts aren't loose or anything, they weren't about to do the labor for me free of charge. Holy shit, are you serious?!
Also, during the same visit, I told them that my rear passenger side sway bar mount/bracket was completely missing, and that the stock bolts are known to loosen/back out especially on that side. Then they tried to get out of covering for the bracket just because I had aftermarket suspension and accused me of touching the mount during installation and therefore perhaps caused it to dislodge, etc....who the hell in their right minds takes off sway bar mounts for simple shock-and-spring/coilover installations?...it just doesn't make any sense. I told him I never upgraded the sway bars or anything, that I didn't hafta touch them at all during the suspension swap.
I ended up paying out of pocket for the mount and bolts since luckily it wasn't all that expensive. But I was furious and gave them a shitty review. The SA was required to follow up with me "make sure everything was okay" -_-. He couldn't do anything to resolve the issues, so I told him I'm never going back to their stealershit ever again. Bunch of incompetent cocksuckers.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to charge $150 just to hook up to their GT1 and push a few buttons.

I'm glad you have access to a good SA/stealer service shop, but do keep in mind that a LOT of others don't have that luxury

Last edited by mfanatic325; 03-02-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Sorry, Yeah i guess you're right. They have everyone they have to report to and the SA are very unknowledgable and are supposively only customer service reps.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Because they're stealershits...of course they're going to push for every buck possible.

Plus, I've lost all respect for my SA since the last time I went in. The service paper said they changed my oil with 5W30 and when I brought this up to my SA, at first he told me that it was correct. Then when he saw the worried look on my face he said he'd go ask and clarify. They claim that it was just a typo, and that they actually put in what was recommended: 10W60.
At the same time, I brought in the Motorsport grade engine mount bracket bolts along with NordLock washers and kindly asked my SA to have the shop foreman swap out my bolts for me with the provided hardware. He promised me that everything could be done, free of charge no problem. Then a day or two later I get a call from him claiming that the bolts were "aftermarket" and they would have to charge me 2 hours of labor for it. WTF?!
I informed him that it was a BMW Motorsport part, so it was indeed OEM. That shut him up for a good couple of hours. THEN he calls me back and says that since the bolts aren't loose or anything, they weren't about to do the labor for me free of charge. Holy shit, are you serious?!
Also, during the same visit, I told them that my rear passenger side sway bar mount/bracket was completely missing, and that the stock bolts are known to loosen/back out especially on that side. Then they tried to get out of covering for the bracket just because I had aftermarket suspension and accused me of touching the mount during installation and therefore perhaps caused it to dislodge, etc....who the hell in their right minds takes off sway bar mounts for simple shock-and-spring/coilover installations?...it just doesn't make any sense. I told him I never upgraded the sway bars or anything, that I didn't hafta touch them at all during the suspension swap.
I ended up paying out of pocket for the mount and bolts since luckily it wasn't all that expensive. But I was furious and gave them a shitty review. The SA was required to follow up with me "make sure everything was okay" -_-. He couldn't do anything to resolve the issues, so I told him I'm never going back to their stealershit ever again. Bunch of incompetent cocksuckers.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to charge $150 just to hook up to their GT1 and push a few buttons.

I'm glad you have access to a good SA/stealer service shop, but do keep in mind that a LOT of others don't have that luxury
whoa, a+ rant! i've got my own gripes about dealerships and their service departments.

as for coding, i too was quoted something ridiculous like $140 to have my bc coded for drl, three-turn indicator, lock on drive-off etc. i didn't get tt privilege when i had purchased my cpo m coupe from houston, so tried using tt as reason to have the san anton folks code it. the crass answer given was - we aren't affiliated in any form with the dealership in houston. like no shit dude!?

given up on getting my bc coded since it's really a matter of convenience more than anything. i've already grown so used to the way things are set up for my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

This looks promising:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-diagnostic-s...t_11286wt_1139

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
franco209
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Tempting~~ anyone have experience with it? Still need to activate my Anti-thief.....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^wow, tt looks great. is this batch of software what starscream has?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I just made a impulse buy of BMW software and cables. I'll code my car and see how it goes. Since I got my car used the stealer didn't want to give me my one free code. I know I want to code the 3blink feature and auto-lock. I'll keep you guys posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^u purchased the software from the ebay link?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #17
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Well I just made a impulse buy of BMW software and cables. I'll code my car and see how it goes. Since I got my car used the stealer didn't want to give me my one free code. I know I want to code the 3blink feature and auto-lock. I'll keep you guys posted!
I know you already know this, but just be very careful and don't experiment too much with the system. You can 'brick' certain modules within the car if you code things incorrectly, so be sure you know what options you are selecting before going too crazy
      03-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

You would still need to pickup a cable, but the GT1 software is available (2003-2004 version) on the interwebs if you do a search on a certain Bay website.

Doesn't look turn-key, but considering picking up a cable and seeing if I can make it work.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post

[snip]

Jeez. Where do you go for service? Stevens Creek or Mountain View BMW? Stevens Creek treated me okay, but yeah, the SA don't communicate well with the techs, which is where all the confusion comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco209 View Post
Tempting~~ anyone have experience with it? Still need to activate my Anti-thief.....
Now I'm on the hunt for an alarm system since I'll be able to activate it myself. I have a roadster, so I'm not sure I want to get the $40 model, but I don't want the battery drain of the model with the interior motion sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^u purchased the software from the ebay link?
Yep, I'm not a fan of buying stuff from ebay, esp out of country. In a moment of weakness I did it. If it doesn't work out I'll paypal you an invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
I know you already know this, but just be very careful and don't experiment too much with the system. You can 'brick' certain modules within the car if you code things incorrectly, so be sure you know what options you are selecting before going too crazy
Yeah. I won't be messing with EuroCoding or anything too crazy. New battery registration, alarm activation, key coding, and the driver's features are all I'm going to play with. mfanatic325 said he'd be my guinnea pig.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #20
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

hah it was Mountain View BMW where I ran into the above-mentioned issues. I will try Stevens Creek, although I'm not expecting much from them either. I used to service my E46 325Ci there. They also tried to get out of doing work by accusing modifications
For that car, it was an adaptive headlight feature that bust. The passenger side swiveled to one side and got stuck
They blamed it on my angel eyes and aftermarket LED turn signal bulbs. REALLY?!

lol guinea pig doesn't sound so good. Make sure yours works first
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #21
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

cool beans this. would be interested to see how things pan out! quite a stickler for fiddling with settings and such, and to have control over them would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
I wonder why their table says no to most options. That doesn't make much sense. I forgot about registering new batteries and activating alarm systems. That makes it worth it in savings from the what the stealer charges. I'll investigate what it really can do and maybe another company.
Last time I tried it, it didn't work at all.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&highlight=bt
Appreciate 0