BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

More accurate (?) representation of VO

We went to the Toronto Auto Show this past weekend to see the VO 1M on display. As others have mentioned, this is a difficult color to accurately photograph, so we were not sure what to expect. In person the color is not the bright orange than I've seen, but more subdued. I think this pic is closer to the actual color, at least under the lights at the show. I'm still trying to decide between VO and AW - difficult choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

ugh... see that looks too brown to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
BMW should send small samples of sheet metal painted in Valencia Orange to their dealers so that prospective buyers can get a better idea of the color.

Instead of receiving a 1M drawing at some point in the future, a better gift from m-power.com would have been a Valencia Orange color swatch for those who have placed preliminary 1M orders.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Looks much more brown/copper than we have seen in most previous photos.

If that's an accurate representation of VO then some of my doubts are gone . . . and I'm sticking with AW !!

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I first saw it my thoughts were that it had more of a copper tone than expected. Other pictures I took show it to be as seen in previous pics. The color really does vary with the angle of the light.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Like NPV said, too much coper and brown tones. Needs more orange.
It's an amazing color in person. If you like to be noticed in traffic, you'll like the color.
      03-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Again - the lighting makes a HUGE difference. Even the camera makes a big difference in how it picks up certain colors and deals with luminance and saturation.
See this for my description and experience -
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=97

As to samples/previews ... especially on metallic and complex colors, swatches can't be an accurate depiction of the color the way it appears on the car.

The angle of reflected light, the absorption spectrum, the color of the light, the surroundings (whether the same paint, trim, objects in the area, etc.), and the underlying material all have a lot to do with how these colors look. I can't imagine how BMW deals with the annoyed people who purchase a tricky color through a brochure or other sample (all the M models have at least a couple of these) and then have the car show up as something unexpected. This orange is even more finicky.

Ex. - M5 Interlagos Blue. It looks like bright blue, navy blue, metallic blue, purple blue, dark blue and even turquoise blue, depending upon its setting. It's one of the cool characteristics about the paint on the car. One thing it almost never looks like is the sample in the M5 Book.

In any event the view here - even if accurate for that setting - doesn't express enough of the red in the paint and its usual appearance, based upon other pictures, descriptions, and people I've talked to. There is a definite reason why it's called "Valencia" - next time you're in the produce section find the respective orange species and it'll be real close!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Like NPV said, too much coper and brown tones. Needs more orange.
It's an amazing color in person. If you like to be noticed in traffic, you'll like the color.
When I saw it I was surprised that it had a copper tone to it. May well have been the lights and the angle I was observing it. It's not as in your face orange as I had thought but anyone seeing it would call it orange. Looking at the pic I posted on the monitor at work makes it look less orange and more copper brown than the monitor at home. A really unique color. I've ordered an AW but am now leaning towards changing to VO.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Next to the quite nice VO representations especially in the evening sun going almost yellow (en route from NJ to FL), if this is, one of its many, color appearances, my verdict on VO:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Next to the quite nice VO representations especially in the evening sun going almost yellow (en route from NJ to FL) ...
"My car photographs bright yellow in moderate to bright light. It photographs as dark, burnt orange in overcast light, and returns as near-red in dark daylight and dusk. Each of these aspects is not accurate as to its real appearance."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=97

Not contesting or defending anything, guys. Just trying to give some perspective.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Mirage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, Z4MC, X3

I really hope it doesn't look like this because that's way too copper/brown for my taste. I love the fact that the color is such a chameleon, but I would prefer it lean more towards orange and away from copper in most viewing situations.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's another pic taken a few seconds after the one above. Now it's looking more orange and the metallic nature of the paint is visible. All this just demonstrates how the color varies depending upon many different variables.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlico View Post
We went to the Toronto Auto Show this past weekend to see the VO 1M on display. As others have mentioned, this is a difficult color to accurately photograph, so we were not sure what to expect. In person the color is not the bright orange than I've seen, but more subdued. I think this pic is closer to the actual color, at least under the lights at the show. I'm still trying to decide between VO and AW - difficult choice.
Hook-em' Horns!
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
Hook-em' Horns!
lmfao!!!

Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Just stop by your local Honda dealer and check out the Element in that orange
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
Hook-em' Horns!
Its exactly what I think!!! Should sell great in Texas, but for the rest of us??
Appreciate 0