BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Intake Manifold Removal?

Hey guys,

I don't think I necessarily need to remove the whole manifold but maybe. When I originally bought my car there was only one nut on the top of the intake manifold. I didn't really think anything of it because it should be an easy fix. It looks like one of the BMW techs must have tightened it too much and actually broke the bolt. Is there a way to take just the intake manifold "cover" off and not have to remove the entire manifold?

Here's a picture for example. The nut on the left is still there, but all that is in the right hole is half a bolt.

Thanks for your help guys,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

You can not just simply remove the top of the Manifold cover. It is a sealed unit. Those nuts on top do not just remove, my guess they are just there for structure. The manifold removes in one piece.

If the dealer broke it tell them to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Like Jay said if the dealer broke it have them fix it.

The only proper way to fix the manifold would be to remove the entire manifold, remove the other fastener and separate the halves. Once you have that done you can replace the broken stud/bolt and re-seal the top and bottom halves of the manifold together with some kind of a silicone/urethane based sealer/adhesive.

There is no part # for the fasteners on the manifold so you will have to match them up with some generic fasteners.

One other option is someone may sell you a manifold from a car that had a supercharger installed on it. A new manifold retails for about $790 USD, put up a WTB add in the classifieds you may get lucky.
      02-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You can not just simply remove the top of the Manifold cover. It is a sealed unit. Those nuts on top do not just remove, my guess they are just there for structure. The manifold removes in one piece.

If the dealer broke it tell them to replace it.
+1

Get those idiots to fix it. Those bolts/nuts breaking is common.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Take that car back to the dealer and tell them to take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Folks, those bolts are only there to hold the two halves together while the epoxy cures. They have ZERO function once cured. And you can't remove the 2 halves without breaking them; they're ONE unit now. It's only a cosmetic problem. You can just glue the chrome head in place. I wouldn't want a dealer messing with my car just for that, but to each his own. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Folks, those bolts are only there to hold the two halves together while the epoxy cures. They have ZERO function once cured. And you can't remove the 2 halves without breaking them; they're ONE unit now. It's only a cosmetic problem. You can just glue the chrome head in place. I wouldn't want a dealer messing with my car just for that, but to each his own. Good luck.
+1

Just glue it back
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
WCM3
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Actually this is my issue too. I was in there today installing my new AA filter and when putting the airbox back together I noticed the dealer didn't do it right the first time. They didn't sit it in the grooves correctly, and bent this one side back. I fixed it while I finished installing the filter and this is why I absolutely hate the dealer doing anything to this car.

Now replacing the whole manifold I would feel better myself doing. And the problem is, it was like this when I bought the car. And now the car has a tick over 50k miles on it so I doubt the dealer will do anything. I'm not quite sure how to prove they were the ones who messed with it in the first place.

And I really don't mind sourcing a new nut and just lightly epoxying or gluing it into place. I looked at realoem and couldn't even find a listing for that. Anybody have an extra one sitting around or know where to get it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

When I was at EAS and we installed my painting manifold, we didn't know you couldn't just 'unscrew' them

So EAS was kind enough to get me new ones to glue onto my painted manifold :P

and glue the original back on as well since I have a lease and it would suck to take it in with that broken...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
WCM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
When I was at EAS and we installed my painting manifold, we didn't know you couldn't just 'unscrew' them

So EAS was kind enough to get me new ones to glue onto my painted manifold :P

and glue the original back on as well since I have a lease and it would suck to take it in with that broken...
Thanks dude. Any part number for the new ones? I'm going to look at realoem again today.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
MIGUEL-M3
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Hi guys, i want to know how to remove the intake cover? does anyone one have a step by step procedure with pics???
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #12
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGUEL-M3 View Post
Hi guys, i want to know how to remove the intake cover? does anyone one have a step by step procedure with pics???
I removed the manifold from one of my old Mustangs with a 100 shot of nitrous and a bad tune. I wouldn't recommend this method, but I'm sure a PM to the folks at ESS or Gitani would help you out.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGUEL-M3 View Post
does anyone one have a step by step procedure with pics???
No, but a pic of it removed is better than nothing . You need to remove intake, coolant tank (moved aside), engine covers, and driver's PCV valve as a minimum. Then loosening all 8 TB clamps with a long extension and a socket, rather than a screwdriver. You have to be mechanically inclined to attempt that, but it's not difficult; just time consuming, especially wiggling the damn thing off and on; that's the hardest part. Otherwise you'd have to remove the tower bracing, and that'd take a lot longer. Good luck.

I left off the engine covers; engine looks sportier and sexier IMO . And next time it'll be much easier to remove the intake cover, if needed. But had to sand/polish all bolts with blue stain since no solvent removed it, plus other cosmetic changes. Here's the result:

Last edited by JCtx; 10-01-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Any reason why you removed it?

I'm taking mine off today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0