New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
danils
Rep
Drives: Z4 23i Steptronic

Noise when starting-stopping

Hi Guys!

Greetings from Italy!

I ask you an opinion about a noise I hear from the rear of my Z4. When my car has a sudden acceleration or braking I hear a soft "clunk" noise from the rear. It seems located on the right side. It may occurs when I depart from a standstill or, moving slowly, I accelerate suddenly or when I brake to go to a soft stop, I hear the "clunk" when the car is almost at standstill.

It is very noticeable when moving out from a parking, say, I shift from Rear gear to forward and I accelerate when the car is still moving backwards.

It seems to me something loose in the transmission that produces this noise every time some torque is applied on. The car is a 2009-built unit and has now 8990 km.

Someone had the same problem?

TY!

Daniele
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danils View Post
It is very noticeable when moving out from a parking, say, I shift from Rear gear to forward and I accelerate when the car is still moving backwards.

It seems to me something loose in the transmission that produces this noise every time some torque is applied on. The car is a 2009-built unit and has now 8990 km.
if you keep doing the sudden shift from reverse to drive you're the root of the problem.
      02-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Daniele,

My recommendation would be to check this with your dealer. A test drive by a qualified BMW Mechanic should identify your problem so that corrective action can be taken. Unless as pointed out by Memphis you shift too hard then the noisy might be the gear engagement from the clutch. My Z is automatic and I do not shift.

Good luck and report back once you identified the root cause.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Zcoupe
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danils View Post
Hi Guys!

Greetings from Italy!

I ask you an opinion about a noise I hear from the rear of my Z4. When my car has a sudden acceleration or braking I hear a soft "clunk" noise from the rear. It seems located on the right side. It may occurs when I depart from a standstill or, moving slowly, I accelerate suddenly or when I brake to go to a soft stop, I hear the "clunk" when the car is almost at standstill.

Someone had the same problem?

TY!

Daniele

Hello,

I allready posted this problem under "http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343333"
My Z4 E89 is also a 2.5 steptronic and I have the same problem.
Driving daily 30km lining in trafic it's driving me nuts
My brother own's the same Z4 (2.5 steptronic), I drove his car occasionally and noticed the same irritating thump.
Mid march my car enters the local workshop for a checkup by an expert of BMW BENELUX IMPORT.
I recommand you to do the same, hope that the will find the solution for this problem.

Greetings
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
danils
Rep
Drives: Z4 23i Steptronic

The day after tomorrow my car will enters the local workshop to have the noise investigated.

Today I thought about something not fixed in the trunk (umbrella, triangle, spare lamps, tools) but unfortunately this was not the problem.

I will keep you informed after the visit.
Appreciate 0