BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

bad for a catless car to run tuneless?

hey guys
essentially went to get a catless xpipe and tune done at the same time, got the pipe on np but the tune was not possible. my car was updated and thus needs to be shipped out, i wanted to drive it a bit this week though before shipping it out as its too late in the week to get it back before the weekend anyway.
however, the garage said not to if i can. i drove it home, 6hours normally but didnt really push it as they told me not too.

can anyone confirm if running catless with no tune is damaging, if i should not run, drive it normally and not be allowed to push it, etc.
its gonna get tuned next week regardless but im curious as they said the car will run to lean and be all confused and pistons will get too hot, etc...

thanks again
      02-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
hey guys
essentially went to get a catless xpipe and tune done at the same time, got the pipe on np but the tune was not possible. my car was updated and thus needs to be shipped out, i wanted to drive it a bit this week though before shipping it out as its too late in the week to get it back before the weekend anyway.
however, the garage said not to if i can. i drove it home, 6hours normally but didnt really push it as they told me not too.

can anyone confirm if running catless with no tune is damaging, if i should not run, drive it normally and not be allowed to push it, etc.
its gonna get tuned next week regardless but im curious as they said the car will run to lean and be all confused and pistons will get too hot, etc...

thanks again
There is no damage, all that will happen is your SES light will illuminate within 100 miles and you will get a "Increased Emissions" warning. In reality the cars run a tad rich with no cats according to the people who I've talked to who tune these cars. Keep in mind the OEM tune on these cars is rich for safety sake.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Based on what I've seen - catless and the full akra can cause a brief dip in power down low. This is because it runs lean here briefly. AF charts also show this. If you are paranoid, I just wouldn't get on it down low. You probably need to start your dyno below 2k to even see it show up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

If you change anything pre O2-sensors you need to get a tune to get what you wan't fromt it. Car won't run right otherwise!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

thanks guys
yeah the cel came on as expected; just was concerned as i was told to drive like a pansy for the week until its tuned, i guess thats not really necessary....