ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
FOUR FLUSHER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 Convertable

I'm in the mkt, '06-'07 Z4M Coupe vs Roadster

Here's the facts, other cars are '10 328 sedan, '01 4runner (snow rig) which why I'm now a forum guy. I'm looking for a new toy, wife wants a vert for summer fun, I really like to looks of the coupes, I need some ammo for the battle with the wife

seem like all the avid boarders are coupe folks....WHY!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

My coupe is for sale, I'm looking to sell for a Roadster.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488754

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I LOVE the coupe but in the end I decided that the roadster would be better for LA. I was always against convertibles but when I drove a 135 convertible loaner car I really liked it. I realized that top-down was the way to go in LA and even though I've always been a diehard straight-up performance kind of girl, I can get the Roadster for less cash and still have the M performance. It was designed originally as a Roadster so I'm sure it's still pretty rigid and handles great, much better than the 135 I'd imagine but I still haven't driven one.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Rdstr

Get MC
1. You won't have problems with the convertible tops, even though there are almost none with the Z4's. (the wife doesn't know that)

2. I think the MC is much more distinguishable from a normal Z4 than an MR is.

3. I feel like the MC looks more like a "supercar" than an MR.

4. It's just cool looking lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

As expected, roadster owners will advocate for that car and coupe owners will eleoquently describe the longing stares of Ferrari owners.

But you know what? go drive both and decide for yourselves. And don't underestimate the importance of keeping The Wife happy. If she really wants a convertible, and all your previous cars have been tin tops, why deny her the enjoyment of having such a fine car in the driveway; in effect, a dream car both both of you?

You don't want to be snugly seated in the seat of a lovely coupe during the day - but banished to the couch at night!!

And consider: I live in Canada. There is three feet of snow on the ground right now, its currently snowing and my car won't be out of storage until April. Even then, the weather won't be the best. Would I trade my roadster for a coupe? No. Why? Because on a nice day, there is simply nothing nicer than dropping the top and going for a drive. Period!

Good luck!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 02-23-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
As expected, roadster owners will advocate for that car and coupe owners will eleoquently describe the longing stares of Ferrari owners.

But you know what? go drive both and decide for yourselves. And don't underestimate the importance of keeping The Wife happy. If she really wants a convertible, and all your previous cars have been tin tops, why deny her the enjoyment of having such a fine car in the driveway; in effect, a dream car both both of you?

And consider: I live in Canada. There is three feet of snow on the ground right now, its currently snowing and my car won't be out of storage until April. Even then, the weather won't be the best. Would I trade my roadster for a coupe? No. Why? Because on a nice day, there is simply nothing nicer than dropping the top and going for a drive. Period!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

the coupe vs roadster is really going to be coming down to what ur wife and u want collectively and mutually agree upon. even though i bought the m coupe cos i absolutely love its curves and lines, i can always appreciate the appeal the original z4 roadster design will have. it's a simple drop-top tt's still stunningly gorgeous and is otherwise identical in every other aspect as with the coupe.

ultimately, i'd say get a roadie and please ur other half as she's just as much a part of ur life as u are to her.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post

ultimately, i'd say get a roadie and please ur other half as she's just as much a part of ur life as u are to her.
aww,

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post

+2

And let's not overlook the one fact perhaps most important, "The wifey want a vert"

Top down all the way!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopkins1394 View Post
Because on a nice day, there is simply nothing nicer than dropping the top and going for a drive. Period!

Top down all the way!
+3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

It's a personal preference, can't go wrong with either, just make sure you get one that has been treated nicely!
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I don't know what the weather is like in Reno but if it's anything like Dallas, I think you'd be happier with the roadster. There is nothing better (with the exception of a motorcycle) than driving around with the top down!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
I don't know what the weather is like in Reno but if it's anything like Dallas, I think you'd be happier with the roadster. There is nothing better (with the exception of a motorcycle) than driving around with the top down!
I personally prefer driving the roadster to riding the motorcycle since all the gear makes it very hot.
The motorcycle is obviously more fun though!
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The only reason I have the coupe is because the organization that I drive with does not allow convertibles on track.

The fact that it's more than twice as stiff as the roadster is also great for track use. But if it's a street only car? Roadster all the way. We had a '03 Z4 3.0i that both my wife and I enjoyed immensely. The Coupe? I'm the only driver.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
everyones opinion on here will be biased, and on that note, the coupe is the best.
      02-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Have had both and I admit I had my issues with the cocky coupe drivers ragging on the vert(looks,stiffness). While I do miss the droptop every now and then for the wind in my hair factor, the coupe looks better, has less wind noise and gets looks and compliments that the vert never did. So I'm that Coupe guy now.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

the roadster is a lot more fun

+ you can always get a hardtop if you're looking for something different
      02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

If it's a fun/weekend car and you have another DD, I would absolutely go with the drop top. If it is a DD, then I might go with the coupe.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
everyones opinion on here will be biased, and on that note, the coupe is the best.

That's right. You don't have to worry about your toupe blowing off.

har har har!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #20
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

we can argue here all we want, but in the end, you either enjoy top-down driving or you don't
      02-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

I always thought that if you're going to have a fixed roof, you might as well have four seats too. And four seats can't be done right with a soft top; you instantly get that boat look.

I realize now that this all made more sense in my head than it does here.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
I personally prefer driving the roadster to riding the motorcycle since all the gear makes it very hot.
The motorcycle is obviously more fun though!
Motorcycles are only hot when you are sitting still! Motorcycle over car any day of the week (better in traffic too).

I have the coupe cause I have a no top ride, and the coupe easily looks better (especially if comparing to the roadster with top up, closer battle if the top is down).

Either way you really can't go wrong. Might as well save some $ and make the wife happy at the same time...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0