ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
budman5201
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 roadster 3.0

Converting Non-M to M Suspension

Is it possible to Convert my Z4 Sport Suspension to the M suspension? Is it worth the hassle?

I love the handling of mine and it seems just as low as the M. I handles like its on rails, and doesnt have much LEAN at all!

Also another question, can i lower it a little more. Mine I have 19x 9.5 inch 35 offset wheels in the back and front (19x 9 by 35 offset in front) with the Sport Suspension.
Which Springs would i need?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman5201 View Post
Is it possible to Convert my Z4 Sport Suspension to the M suspension? Is it worth the hassle?

I love the handling of mine and it seems just as low as the M. I handles like its on rails, and doesnt have much LEAN at all!

Also another question, can i lower it a little more. Mine I have 19x 9.5 inch 35 offset wheels in the back and front (19x 9 by 35 offset in front) with the Sport Suspension.
actually i think the M's run higer than yours so yours is lower already.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Major expense. Unless you're tracking the car you probably won't benefit from the difference.....Just buy an M if you're that serious, the M has a number of differences which make it a better track car. Spend your money on some driver schools.

Quote:
I went with the Eibachs and like the improvement over the oe sport suspension springs. For me, drop at front was about 5/8" and 1/4" rear.
      02-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
It pains me to no end to say this. It really does. Since I've got an entire set of take-off M suspension I can sell you.

Alas. Yes it is possible to convert your Z4 suspension to the M suspension. Is it worth the hassle? I don't know. I think when it's all said and done you'd have spent more on the conversion had you just traded your Z4 in for an M, and you wouldn't get the engine to go with it.

The rear elements are "interchangeable." Meaning they'll likely bolt right up without any modifications. Whether or not that will work is the mystery. The springs on the MZ4 is likely stiffer therefore shorter, which will make what seems like a very well handling Z4 handle like sh*t if you don't swap in the front as well.

However, to swap in the front you're looking at not only the strut and springs. It's a different design and mount. To mount the MZ4 front strut and springs you will need the springs, struts, the entire strut mount assembly, the lower control arms, control arm bushings, the king pin/steering knuckle, tie-rods, brake rotors, brake caliper carriers, brake calipers, brake master cylinder and possibly brake booster. In addition to that you'll likely need the steering rack (although I'm not certain if the MZ4 tie-rod won't bolt onto the Z4 rack).

Like I said, by the time you're all said and done, you might as well have traded in for an MZ4 AND still have money left over AND a bigger engine to boot (not to mention the gem of a diff).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
hack is right, i looked into this when i was interested in getting the diff from the m but turned out to be cheaper just to buy a quaife and get my stock diff rebuilt. plus the labor involved in swapping rear ends has to be a good 6-8hrs.
      02-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

A good coilover suspension would be a better investment I think