BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
mrk
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E82 1M

1M Allocation Schedule - Official BMW Notice

Having placed an order with a $2K deposit at the end of January, I (like many others) am still trying to determine if I will get a production number and build date. I have been told I am third in line for a 1 M Coupe order coming from the dealership, but am concerned if any orders will be processed based on allocations.

I was provided the attached 2011 Allocation Schedule for BMW 1 M Coupe letter, which goes into a bit of detail.

Would anyone know if there are published numbers that can be plugged into the formula to determine if I am in line at a dealer that will actually be able to process my order or if I should be seeking another dealer?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Thanks for posting. We knew this information, but it's nice to see in official form.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
It appears you need to know the total sales volume of your dealership for 2010, and more specifically the number of 1 series and M car sales over the same period. You would further need to know this information for a large sample of dealers across the nation in order to determine how your dealer "stacks up" against other dealers.

I doubt this information is publicly available, although you might get some rough numbers from your CA. Being #3 at a Bay Area dealership (which likely has high volume sales of vehicles, including M cars) makes me think you have a good shot at receiving a 1M coupe. However, don't be surprised if you don't receive a production number for several months and take delivery late this year.

The formula provided in that bulletin does not provide information regarding when BMW will give a specific dealership an allocation. However, it seems likely that high volume dealerships will receive one or more allocations before low volume dealers get any allocations. So you also have that going for you. In other words, being #3 on the list at a high volume dealer may provide you a car about the same time that a person #1 at a low volume dealer receives their 1M.

Last edited by HERR FSTIR; 02-20-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I don't recommend putting too much effort into trying to figure out formulas, etc. Even if you're #3 at a big dealership (actually, my circumstance as well), who's to say that the owner of the dealership won't take one, or some other dealership-initiated situation precludes you from getting one of the few that your dealership gets allocated?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

The best we can do is get people with confirmed allocations to tell us their production month and what dealer they are at. From the dealer name you can easily go to their website and look at their inventory to get a *rough* idea of how they ranked in the allocation formula.

It would seem like we should hear about April production allocations within the next week or so. Hopefully that is better than what we saw for March. My guess is that March may not have been a full month of production, or a larger portion of the cars were destined for special purposes like reviewers or BMW employees.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Thanks for the information, but I think it's somehow horrible.

I want a production date, even if it is some month in the future. What BMW does here with it's monthly allocations is just giving no information to the dealers and customers about their order state. It just won't say "no allocation" for months and months. Until your dealer finally gets an allocation, or you get a "sorry".

I think that sucks big time. BMW should have done a clear limitation instead and do a normal first-come, first-served allocation. That system here just depends on pure luck from a client's side of view. Am I supposed to do a research on each dealer? Are these guys nuts at BMW?

It's the first time for me, that buying a car is beginning to annoy me.
      02-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
The best we can do is get people with confirmed allocations to tell us their production month and what dealer they are at. From the dealer name you can easily go to their website and look at their inventory to get a *rough* idea of how they ranked in the allocation formula.
How many people actually have a production number? Per country?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
CHV
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT, 2009 911S

I reserved my M 12/24 from a dealer I know well and have purchased from before. After options pricing came out, I finalized my order. I still havent heard anything about a production date. I asked today and was told "we're just waiting on the allocation."

When am I going to know??? I was planning on doing European Delivery end of May and would like to purchase plane tickets and book lodging. I would much rather be told you wont be able to get it than this wait in limbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
One.M
Rep
Drives: 135i

I gave my Connecticut Dealer a $1000 deposit on 10/8/10 and became # 1 on their list. My order went in to BMW early December. As of this week I was "read" an e-mail which stated that this region ( I think "E") would be getting a total of eleven 1m's. The other dealerships in the region were getting one each, but that this dealership would be getting two allocations. One for August, one for September.

The "status" line on my vehicle states "047 - spec released-no quota avail". There is no chassis or production number.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

One.M I've heard other similar stories with Aug/Sep dates which are confusing. I have also heard of no April-May-June-July build dates on this forum. This does not make sense.

My dealer has said the only allocations out as of Feb 16 were for March production (a partial month, yes). The Feb 25 the April production allocations were supposed to come out any day now. And so on for each subsequent month. This does make sense.

Although the process is frustrating, I expect we will have to be patient until the next allocation comes out, and possibly the next one after that, and the process will hopefully become (at least a little more) clear.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
rodfly
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

I got word yesterday. July build. I figure August delivery.
      02-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

Nice! I expect we'll learn a bit more about build dates as this 2nd round of allocations comes out. I'm crossing my fingers.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

I checked with my dealer yesterday, no news. My CA tells me my order is in the "BMW order bank" (I put my deposit first week of January). Being fairly ignorant about the innerworks of the ordering process and having heard from another dealer a week ago that "there were no order slots available at this time", and having read somewhere that "the order bank was full", does this mean I have a better chance of getting one than anybody coming into any dealer today?
Appreciate 0