BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Blackstone Oil Reports from Aftermarket Air Filters

Has anyone done an oil report on an engine with and aftermarket air filter running? Are the signs of increased wear/contamination compared to stock?

I am thinking about a high flow air filter, and I am looking for evidence of the impact on the engine. I have read the anecdotes and reviews of filters from searching, but could not find any mechanical data.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just blow dirt thru both filters with a ShopVac with a damp white shop towel behind and you'd NEVER consider buying one again . Can't understand why people put racing filters on their street cars for a HP or two at redline (if at all), especially in dusty places, but to each his own. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Just blow dirt thru both filters with a ShopVac with a damp white shop towel behind and you'd NEVER consider buying one again . Can't understand why people put racing filters on their street cars for a HP or two at redline (if at all), especially in dusty places, but to each his own. Good luck.
Have you done the same experiment with an OEM filter? Was it significantly cleaner?

The question was aimed at seeing if there is objective evidence that there is increased engine wear from the filter change, rather than assumption? The extra dust could get trapped in the oil filter?

I don't know, that's why I am asking.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Good question.
Subscribed, hopefully someone will answer this soon.

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I was running a GruppeM intake (w/ K&N cone filter) when I had my Z4M, did two blackstone oil reports..and both times no extra silica was found in the oil samples, wear was right along the line with other S65 engines.

I was also running a RPi scoop at the time, and the scoop was directing the oncoming air RIGH AT the cone filter like a ram air system. Still, the K&N filtered really well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Have you done the same experiment with an OEM filter? Was it significantly cleaner?
Did it with a Lexus SC400 back when I used to drink the K&N kool-aid , and refuse to believe the obvious. They're great racing filters, but they don't belong on an engine you want to get at least 100K miles out of IMO.

And the dirty air goes straight to the pistons thru the combustion chamber. It gets to the oil filter after that. Using a 'wet' filter is not going to grenade your engine, but you need to understand the obvious: bigger holes mean more air, but also more dirt; no free lunch here. The issue is if your engine needs the extra air, and the answer is no at lower rpm, where you have to drive most of the time. So the debate becomes IF you get a few more ponies at redline, is it worth it having at the expense of ingesting more dirt? Only you can answer that question. Do your research to decide what you want. But if anybody tells you a wet filter filters the same as a paper one, do the simple test I told you and you'll know for sure. Or just read the myriad independent tests done on the subject. Just like changing oil at 15K miles rather than 7.5K (or whatever) is not going to have an immediate impact on your engine, same thing with air filters.

You'll never going to have a consensus on boards like these, so just use them as opinions, including mine. Do YOUR research and come to your own conclusions. Signing off. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
I was running a GruppeM intake (w/ K&N cone filter) when I had my Z4M, did two blackstone oil reports..and both times no extra silica was found in the oil samples, wear was right along the line with other S65 engines.

I was also running a RPi scoop at the time, and the scoop was directing the oncoming air RIGH AT the cone filter like a ram air system. Still, the K&N filtered really well.
How many miles between reports?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Did one report prior to installing a filter and I think I'm on my 4th one after the filter. None of the after reports have shown anything different from the 1st. The trends continue to be the same after each report.
      02-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Good thread ... I wonder how the impact would be on my ESS SC system considering the filter is at the bottom front of the car.
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I'll say around 11000 miles on the K&N cone filter....and no extra wear was detected by the Blackstone lab.

I really have no idea why a lot of folks are so afraid of aftermarket air filters

Quote:
How many miles between reports?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

Most aftermarket air filters are made better than oem. You will never see a car engine fail because of an aftermarket air filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Here is what I feel to be a thorough test of oem (paper) versus aftermarket filters.

Cliff Notes: There's no going around the common logic that higher flow means less filtration and vice versa. However, less filtration doesn't necessarily mean catastrophic. It's your car, your money, and you decide if the extra 1-5 hp is worth the tradeoff.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Here is what I feel to be a thorough test of oem (paper) versus aftermarket filters.

Cliff Notes: There's no going around the common logic that higher flow means less filtration and vice versa. However, less filtration doesn't necessarily mean catastrophic. It's your car, your money, and you decide if the extra 1-5 hp is worth the tradeoff.
The additional 1-2hp means less to me than the convenience of being able to clean out the aftermarket filter, re-oil it and reinstall it as often as I please without having to go out and buy another filter.
      02-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
therealsullyz
frequent tire investor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
I really have no idea why a lot of folks are so afraid of aftermarket air filters
Because "internet experts" keep perpetuating the misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
The extra dust could get trapped in the oil filter?

I don't know, that's why I am asking.
Where I live, its pretty safe to assume that most dust particles that would get past my filter are organic and would burn up in combustion before they blow-by the rings and get trapped in the oil filter.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Did it with a Lexus SC400 back when I used to drink the K&N kool-aid , and refuse to believe the obvious. They're great racing filters, but they don't belong on an engine you want to get at least 100K miles out of IMO.

And the dirty air goes straight to the pistons thru the combustion chamber. It gets to the oil filter after that. Using a 'wet' filter is not going to grenade your engine, but you need to understand the obvious: bigger holes mean more air, but also more dirt; no free lunch here. The issue is if your engine needs the extra air, and the answer is no at lower rpm, where you have to drive most of the time. So the debate becomes IF you get a few more ponies at redline, is it worth it having at the expense of ingesting more dirt? Only you can answer that question. Do your research to decide what you want. But if anybody tells you a wet filter filters the same as a paper one, do the simple test I told you and you'll know for sure. Or just read the myriad independent tests done on the subject. Just like changing oil at 15K miles rather than 7.5K (or whatever) is not going to have an immediate impact on your engine, same thing with air filters.

You'll never going to have a consensus on boards like these, so just use them as opinions, including mine. Do YOUR research and come to your own conclusions. Signing off. Good luck.
Did you have engine failure due to oil contaminants? I completely see your point and would never argue the efficacy of a paper filter vs oiled cotton. I also understand the point of your test, but.....in most geographic regions, do you think that the level of filtration present in a paper element is actually needed?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0