BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Arrow Production & ED Info

"Production for the 2011MY 1 M Coupe will begin with March production. Production volume for this model is low and unique in its offering therefore the allocation for this model will be handled separate from the allocation system.

Each month, dependant on the production volume provided by the factory, a certain number of dealers will receive an allocation based on specific parameters. Parameters for each dealer include 35% of the total 2011 Index SPG of all models and 65% of the combined 1 Series and M Retail Sales for all of 2010 calendar year.

Due to the low production volume, a European Delivery order cannot be reserved by the European Delivery department. A dealer must provide a production number from their allocation to fulfill a European Delivery customer order.

Please keep in mind that each month, we will run a new allocation based on any production volume changes from the factory. This could potentially add, remove or change the production slot as to when a dealer may receive their allocation.

The first orders for March production will be available for modification by next Wednesday, February 16th. Future 1 M Coupe orders will be available to modify a few days after each monthly allocation has completed for all other models."

edit: the above is cribbed from the bulletin received on Friday

Last edited by dbtheo; 02-13-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Thanks for sharing. This confirms what we suspected - ED cars must come from standard allocation.

Can you tell me how a dealer selects production start times once he's received a specific allocation? For example, if the dealer is OK'd for an allocation in March, can that allocation be requested to be built in week 42, or must it be built as the first available slot?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Thanks for sharing. This confirms what we suspected - ED cars must come from standard allocation.

Can you tell me how a dealer selects production start times once he's received a specific allocation? For example, if the dealer is OK'd for an allocation in March, can that allocation be requested to be built in week 42, or must it be built as the first available slot?
I don't think we'll have much say in the in week... nor will the client, I think we'll all be happy just to have the allocations..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
I don't think we'll have much say in the in week... nor will the client, I think we'll all be happy just to have the allocations..
Understood.

One more (crazy) question if you don't mind... if I really can't make it to Munich until October, just how long will they hold an ED car for pickup assuming I get an allocation/production before then? I realize I'd have the buy the car much beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Understood.

One more (crazy) question if you don't mind... if I really can't make it to Munich until October, just how long will they hold an ED car for pickup assuming I get an allocation/production before then? I realize I'd have the buy the car much beforehand.
IF the cars are as hard to get as expected... I don't see many dealers tying up an allocation that long. BMW doesn't build the cars but a couple weeks before arrival, so that the cars are not sitting around. That means no vin, no vin means you can't complete paperwork for the car. Odds are you'll have to take your chances later on in the year...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

No, I may have been unclear.

Let's say I'm fortunate enough to get a June build, get a VIN, do all the paperwork, pay for the car, etc. But I can't actually make it to Munich until October. How long will the Welt actually hold it for me to physically do the ED?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Let's say I'm fortunate enough to get a June build, get a VIN, do all the paperwork, pay for the car, etc. But I can't actually make it to Munich until October. How long will the Welt actually hold it for me to physically do the ED?
If you need me to go over and drive your car around for a bit before you arrive I'll be happy to help :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
If you need me to go over and drive your car around for a bit before you arrive I'll be happy to help :-)
Why don't you drop off your M3 at my house next weekend, and I'll certainly give your offer a strong consideration.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
"Production for the 2011MY 1 M Coupe will begin with March production. Production volume for this model is low and unique in its offering therefore the allocation for this model will be handled separate from the allocation system.

Each month, dependant on the production volume provided by the factory, a certain number of dealers will receive an allocation based on specific parameters. Parameters for each dealer include 35% of the total 2011 Index SPG of all models and 65% of the combined 1 Series and M Retail Sales for all of 2010 calendar year.

Due to the low production volume, a European Delivery order cannot be reserved by the European Delivery department. A dealer must provide a production number from their allocation to fulfill a European Delivery customer order.

Please keep in mind that each month, we will run a new allocation based on any production volume changes from the factory. This could potentially add, remove or change the production slot as to when a dealer may receive their allocation.

The first orders for March production will be available for modification by next Wednesday, February 16th. Future 1 M Coupe orders will be available to modify a few days after each monthly allocation has completed for all other models."

I wonder if this could mean that some of the smaller dealerships will not even receive a single allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
rocolin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw36

Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Quote:

So much for the affordable, "bring new people" to the brand car. In terms of meeting some of the original goals for this car I think this could be an epic failure (though even w/o having driven one I think it will live up to the promise of a "back to the roots" car, which is why even after all this marketing BS I still want one).

Still, all the constraints that seem implicit in this bulletin could actually ease up things for those of us that are truly interested in this car. I can't imagine there are a lot of BMW buyers out there willing to hunt down around dealers to see if they have allocations (as somebody already commented many dealers might never have an allocation on this car) for what is effectively a small impractical $50K two seater that has not been that popular anyway (I personally love the 1 series, if only because it evokes the old 3 series that I so much admired) and then wait for what could be several months to get it and all of that w/o even a test drive. In that sense this car will, at least initially, appeal to real enthusiasts and the question then is: are there 600 of those out there...

I was looking at the deposit tread and the chatter in the key treads of the 1M forum and truth is I don't think you can find more than 150 - 200 of those true enthusiasts in this forum. One would assume a good chunk of the enthusiast population would have been part of this forum or joined in the past 3 - 6 months as they looked for more info on this car (I know I did), but for sake of argument let's assume there are 250 - 300 non forum enthusiasts out there. That still leaves us at 400 - 500. So if this little "stick out your thumb" exercise were remotely accurate, seems like all the concerns about availability might be overblown and that maybe BMW is making us a favor by making this whole process so ridiculously cumbersome and limited....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
crumb
Private
Rep
Drives: honda

I understand, it makes people feel better to complain, but it is painful to suffer through it in thread after thread. Might help if someone started a "Complaint Dept." thread, so the other threads could stay constructive.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps1m View Post
I wonder if this could mean that some of the smaller dealerships will not even receive a single allocation.
My understanding is that each dealer in the order bank should be able to get a single 1M.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

I don't want to "poop in the punchbowl" but honestly, I don't see any dealer giving up any of their units for ED or military allocation. I know my dealer not only wants to fill their preorders, but wants to order at least 3 to have on the lot. They will hedge their bets and keep the car in inventory to sell in spring of 2012 at full MSRP if they have to. If you've got a good relationship with a dealer, have bought cars there, had referrals, than maybe I can see them doing this for you, but at the end of the day, business is business and this car is hot.

One of the major problems I see and I seriously hope I'm wrong would be tuners looking at this car and thinking with such a limited production, R&D costs would be too much to release any products for it. I know Dinan is getting a car to play with, and I suspect the reason IND is teaming up with so many others is because they want to share R&D costs to bring something to market that's cost effective. (If I'm wrong I'm sure the IND rep that posts here will tell me)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanges View Post
I don't want to "poop in the punchbowl" but honestly, I don't see any dealer giving up any of their units for ED or military allocation.
A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush?

My dealer had no problem taking my deposit with full understanding I'm requesting ED. We had to agree to full ED MSRP on the base price of the car, however.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

Quote:
If you've got a good relationship with a dealer, have bought cars there, had referrals, than maybe I can see them doing this for you, but at the end of the day, business is business and this car is hot.
Quote:
A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush?

My dealer had no problem taking my deposit with full understanding I'm requesting ED. We had to agree to full ED MSRP on the base price of the car, however.
You seem to fall in to the above category.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
I don't want to "poop in the punchbowl" but honestly, I don't see any dealer giving up any of their units for ED or military allocation. I know my dealer not only wants to fill their preorders, but wants to order at least 3 to have on the lot. They will hedge their bets and keep the car in inventory to sell in spring of 2012 at full MSRP if they have to. If you've got a good relationship with a dealer, have bought cars there, had referrals, than maybe I can see them doing this for you, but at the end of the day, business is business and this car is hot.

One of the major problems I see and I seriously hope I'm wrong would be tuners looking at this car and thinking with such a limited production, R&D costs would be too much to release any products for it. I know Dinan is getting a car to play with, and I suspect the reason IND is teaming up with so many others is because they want to share R&D costs to bring something to market that's cost effective. (If I'm wrong I'm sure the IND rep that posts here will tell me)
Despite the hype, it's a N54 motor with the almost identical tuning to the Z4is and 335is. I don't foresee any problems for Cobb, Vishnu, etc coming up with aftermarket tunes. Similarly, it's a E9x M3 suspension, so I expect that many of the aftermarket suspension products will also -- with only minor change -- work well.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
I don't want to "poop in the punchbowl" but honestly, I don't see any dealer giving up any of their units for ED or military allocation. )
I just got an email from a random dealer, I had contacted when I was negotiating, confirming ED comes out of allocation and asking if I want to order an ED car through them. So people are willing to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton91 View Post
So much for the affordable, "bring new people" to the brand car.

So if this little "stick out your thumb" exercise were remotely accurate, seems like all the concerns about availability might be overblown and that maybe BMW is making us a favor by making this whole process so ridiculously cumbersome and limited....

1) it was not about bringing new people to BMW; it's about bringing new people to M. I'm one of those. Driving 335i now. M3 is out of budget, 1M is not. (also consider road taxes and gas prices in Europe)

2) You noticed that only x number of people are active on this 1M forum, and therefore you assume the interest in this car is limited ? You think the US of A is the only country in the world, where people want to get hold of a 1M ? Think again...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
1) it was not about bringing new people to BMW; it's about bringing new people to M. I'm one of those. Driving 335i now. M3 is out of budget, 1M is not. (also consider road taxes and gas prices in Europe)

2) You noticed that only x number of people are active on this 1M forum, and therefore you assume the interest in this car is limited ? You think the US of A is the only country in the world, where people want to get hold of a 1M ? Think again...
Exactly my thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

With ed, regardless of the production, they will not build the car until the last couple of weeks, therefore no vin. So you will not be able to complete the paperwork until then.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps1m View Post
I imagine everyone would get atleast 1
Appreciate 0