BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

From JB3 to Cobb...my seat of the pants dyno

Well, since my last 7k miles have brought 5 trips to the dealer, the 5th time was the charm. Remove jb3 to take car in, Cobb AP announced...buy said cobb, wait for new ROM and now have had it in car for 3 days...

step car, was running jb3 2.0, map3 then map5, lagfix 100, pedal at 60-80

What i've noticed.
Cobb is very, very smooth, i had a surge in the 4000 range with the jb3 where it would almost seem like a miss then spike in power. the cobb is as smooth as stock from 0 to redline.

Cobb is so smooth, again, the big hit of power that came in on map 3 made the jb3 seem stronger from 2k up to 3k with daily driving, then my surge in power at 4k+ felt moderatley stronger with the jb3, and then the jb3 seemed to run out at about 6k with the cobb pulling harder all the way to redline. Seat of the pants says the jb3 map3 was slightly more powerful even with the fall off up top, because that fall off came after a bigger rush in the mid range that the cobb doesn't have.

Vs. map 5, the down low, esp with pedal target at 80, the jb3 car felt so much more powerful. the midrange pull was also better. My impromtu runs on the road showed running from a stop to a change in pavement about 5mph more with the jb3 routinely 120 vs 115. similarly though the cobb will pull to redline much better, like you actually want to use the full rpm range instead of short shifting at 6300-6500 with the jb3.

did i mention how smooth the cobb is. It's both good and bad, nice for daily driving but you lose a bit of the attitude the jb3 injected into the car.

So would i do it again? depends on how many check engine and hpfp,injector problems i have in the next 7k miles. more than 1 or 2 and it will be worth it to me.

The other thing i've noticed and not sure if car related or programming but it seems that since i got my car at 6k miles it gets progressively more sluggish with shifts. When i first got it, the D mode it shifted quickly at part throttle and reasonably firmly at full throttle. in DS it would snap shifts off one after another at both part and full throttle.
I've been through 3 software updates since then and now the cobb. each worse than the previous with i think the cobb maybe even being a bit worse than my last stock one. in D, even full throttle the shifts are mushed together with about 1.5 sec or so between shifts, and in DS there's a noticeable hangup at 1-2-3, not bad from there on up....and it's not from driving like a grandmother because i'm far from that.

In the end I am waiting for updated tunes as i'm sure they'll find their way out over teh next few months which should give me the portability of the AP and the power of the piggys.

Just my opinion, and not scientific.
      02-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Like you would say cobb sux, after paying extra 600$
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

The reason for your feeling is because the Cobb is so much smoother in power delivery. The dyno chart should be your guide....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
roo97ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
The reason for your feeling is because the Cobb is so much smoother in power delivery. The dyno chart should be your guide....
Yeah I know that there's good power here but subjectively its absent. Kind of like comparing a z3m to a z4m. The z4 is so much smoother and betterchassis but doesn't feel as fun or powerful as the older car. These are seat of the pants dynos not real o es

However it seems the recent member dynos will keep it at least 10-25 hp less than the piggybacks

And I don't think it sucks at all. Its clearly not bang for your buck but its easy to do. Imagine the pita when hpfp goes away from home and your at an exit or something in the rain with the cowl and ecu apart while my wife is on the line with BMW assist. That's where it pays off.

Joe
      02-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
supergoji
Performance nutcase
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300zx TT / 94 Supra TT

they will have a stage 2 coming soon for those with mods so more power can be made, Cobb is the best right now.

we perceive a bang as faster acceleration then a linear one. when in reality its probably in the fact the opposite.

just look at what cobb has done for the other markets.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
roo97ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoji View Post
they will have a stage 2 coming soon for those with mods so more power can be made, Cobb is the best right now.

we perceive a bang as faster acceleration then a linear one. when in reality its probably in the fact the opposite.

just look at what cobb has done for the other markets.
yes i know this and that's why i'm sticking with it. Just doesn't 'feel' as fast which is sometimes half the battle for mods.

I have gotten more accustomed to it and it is very nice and very smooth. Only hiccup so far is the cruise control which doesn't work on mine, like most others.