BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
topendusa
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

VF Version 4 tune E46 M3

I have to say that the version 4 tune has made me fall in love with my car all over again. When I initially got in it, I was pleased to start the car and it idled quiet and steady. After clearing my adaptations I eased into boost to allow it to adjust accordingly. I did notice for whatever reason the car seem to pull harder earlier than before. It has a nice smooth transition powerwise between shifts. The car is nothing short of amazing now. I have to say that it satisfying power for the street and then some. Hats off to Nik, Paul, and the VF crew for working this out. As a shop owner myself, I understand that tunes must be revisited and updated...dealerships have to do this as well. This is why I chose to be patient and wait for VF to work it out. And they have done just that. Now on to answering the general questions:

1. did you have a tune with your vf stage 2 before this?Yes, I had the GIAC ver 3 tune

2. if so, what was it (e.g. the previous mafless tune, last maf+ tune, etc.)? mafless

3. if yes to #1, then did you ever get ses light on for "cat codes" with previous tune(s)? No SES light for me.

4. if so, how often did it appear (e.g. every few hundred miles, etc.)? NA

5. what headers and cats are you running? if you are catless, be sure to say so. AP Headers, AP section 2 with j-shaped o2 bongs, no cats

6. when is the last time you got a dme/ecu update from bmw through the gt1 (approximate time is fine- e.g. early 2007)?2007

7. how many miles have you driven since getting ver4 software? 100ish today

8. any issues with the car since getting the software including but not excluded to ses light, hesitation when taking off from dead stop or slow roll, rpm hanging when shifting at wot or close to wot, idle roaming on cold start, idle roaming on warm start? NNone at all. The idle is perfect no matter what, hot or cold start. 11.1-11.3 at WOT.

9. if you have had ses light come on with ver4 software, what were the codes/causes?

10. is your car smg or 6mt? SMG

11. do you have the new or old intake manifold (if you are not sure, "new" has "vf" in raised lettering on the front of the manifold; "old" is the one in the pics seen below)? New Intake Manifold

12. what is your afr range at idle? 14ish.

13. what is your afr range at wot? 11.1-11.3

14. what is your peak boost? 8.5-9

15. what is the ambient temperature range (approximate) at which you are providing answers to #12, #13, and #14? 30-37

16. what is your location? Fayetteville, NC

17. if you know, what is the altitude at your location?

18. does your vf stage 2 car have mods that are in addition to or modifications of the standard OTS stage 2 kit (e.g. water methanol injection, smaller s/c pulley, different trim s/c, etc.)? No....well not yet anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

welcome to the forum, m3forum.net is more of the e46 m3 scene fyi, just a friendly heads up and nice to hear
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
topendusa
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

For sure, thanks man...just wanted to share the news.
Appreciate 0