BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
kamaqazi86
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Exhaust for dummies

So I've been thinking about an exhaust system for my car but I don't really know much about it. I've been searching around but havn't really found a good source of information about the basics.

I'd like to know how things work and what everything is doing before I jump into getting something. I also wanted to get a sense of what the effect of changing different parts of the exhaust system has and the different options out there on what can be done.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

You will find millions of threads about this specific subject....

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
ase93
ASE93
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Look at fabspeed.
      02-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaqazi86 View Post
So I've been thinking about an exhaust system for my car but I don't really know much about it. I've been searching around but havn't really found a good source of information about the basics.

I'd like to know how things work and what everything is doing before I jump into getting something. I also wanted to get a sense of what the effect of changing different parts of the exhaust system has and the different options out there on what can be done.
Here is a good place to start.

E90/E92 M3 Exhaust Systems Overview
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165145

This will cover most exhausts available for the S65, feel free to email me directly if you should have any questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
kamaqazi86
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post

You will find millions of threads about this specific subject....
Yea...like I said, I've searched around. I haven't found a much. Theres good stuff on what aftermarket exhausts are out there but I was hoping for a more technical understanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaqazi86 View Post

Basically, changing parts of your exhaust system makes the exhaust gas leaving the engine more free-flowing. This, in turn, gives your car more horsepower. This is because the leaving gas isn't restricted as much when leaving from the engine through the tailpipes. The Middle part of our stock exhausts have 'cats' (catalytic convertors) which are used to remove toxicity from the exiting gas (environmental reasons). These cats also restrict the flow of gas, therefore resulting in less power. In our stock exhausts there are also 'resonators' which the gas passes through that makes the exhaust quieter and less raspy. This also restricts the flow of the exhaust gas, and restricts power.

If you are looking for just sound and a little bit more power, you can change the muffler. The muffler is the end part of the exhaust which is stuck to your tailpipes. If you want the most power possible, you can change the muffler and Mid-pipes to ones that is free flowing and have the least backpressure. If you remove your cats and resonators, you risk not passing emission tests and you will get a bad smell from your exhaust. Also, your exhaust will be very loud.

Also, the exhaust is a heavy part of the car, so it's an opportunity to save weight by getting light exhaust systems. The ones made from titanium and very light and save lots of weight.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Headers - The pipes from the engine that lead down to the exhaust. Only the most hard core enthusiasts mess with headers one the E92 M3 - They barely gain power when naturally aspirated however the power gains can be significant with forced induction. (Supercharger).
Currently, the only headers on the market that I know of are RD Sport (Racing Dynamics) and Gintani.

Section 1+2 (MidPipes) - The easiest/cheapest way to add some power on the M3 is to get catless/high flow catted mid pipes. Many variations are currently available be it catless/catted/resonated/non resonated/titanium/SS
Akrapovic, Gintani, Active Autowerke, Supersprint, Challenge, many more...

Section 3 (Muffler) - What most people think of when the term "Exhausts" comes in to play. You can make some power by changing the muffler but not much. You can easily lose some weight back there too. This section will effect the sound your car makes most significantly.
Akrapovic, Gintani, Eisenmann, Meisterschaft, Active Autowerke, Supersprint, many more...

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0