BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Dealer Allocations Likely Next Week

I understand that BMW NA has just put it word that the dealer allocation process will be communicated to dealers by the middle of next week.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

Thanks Neil. Yeah as time goes by I get more worried that I won't get one even though I'm first on the list at my dealership, have put down a $1000 deposit, and my credit has been approved...what if they don't even get one...ah!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Does anyone know how far out the allocations typically go? Three months? All year? One month?

My goal is to buy one of the last Series 1 M Coupes available on ED. I want to pick one up about 16 months from now, in the spring of 2012.

I realize I might miss them altogether, and I'm prepared to take that risk. Dealers don't really want to talk to me now, I understand that. I may end up reevaluating, and getting something else.

So, what I'm trying to find out is at what date should I start to really bug my dealer, throw money at him or whatever, to have a realistic chance to get my name put on the allocation I'm after. Next year.

TIA,
BucketDrop
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I understand that BMW NA has just put it word that the dealer allocation process will be communicated to dealers by the middle of next week.

Neil
Thanks Neil. I was hoping they would be giving them out today or this week, along with option pricing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMeUp View Post
Does anyone know how far out the allocations typically go? Three months? All year? One month?

My goal is to buy one of the last Series 1 M Coupes available on ED. I want to pick one up about 16 months from now, in the spring of 2012.

I realize I might miss them altogether, and I'm prepared to take that risk. Dealers don't really want to talk to me now, I understand that. I may end up reevaluating, and getting something else.

So, what I'm trying to find out is at what date should I start to really bug my dealer, throw money at him or whatever, to have a realistic chance to get my name put on the allocation I'm after. Next year.

TIA,
BucketDrop
I believe allocations are on a month to month basis. So allocations this month would be for the next month build date. If that is true then you would want a December 2011(last production month) build date. The big question is if they are willing to hold your car for Spring 2012 delivery. I would be bugging your at the end of summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
1M e82 production is only slated for a nine months. I have read Nov/Dec 2011 will be the end of the production. So I don't see how your plan will work out?

Unless BMW decides to keep building the e82 platform a few more months.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21450 View Post
I believe allocations are on a month to month basis. So allocations this month would be for the next month build date. If that is true then you would want a December 2011(last production month) build date. The big question is if they are willing to hold your car for Spring 2012 delivery. I would be bugging your at the end of summer.
That is interesting (allocations based on month).

Assuming I want an Oct/Nov ED, which month of allocation should I be asking my dealer for?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
1M e82 production is only slated for a nine months. I have read Nov/Dec 2011 will be the end of the production. So I don't see how your plan will work out?

Dackel
Thanks for the response!

Yes, I guess I'm hanging my hopes that the E82 M Coupe will be extended.

If it isn't, and I miss my chance to buy a Series 1 M, then I suppose I'll just have to put up with driving my current 135i for a few more months, even a year plus, before an F20 M comes along. That will probably work too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:

Dackel
I read somewhere of a delivery in april 2012 (EU) after the 1st lot was sold out.

So the production will go on untill spring 2012 as was explained by BMW, but due to new US regl. the car can be ordered everywhere exept the US after
end 2011. Is this possible Dackel?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Like Dr. Segler said, they will be hard to get!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:

Dackel
So, will there still be a 1M coupe after e82 is done?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

Yes, I guess I'm hanging my hopes that the E82 M Coupe will be extended.

If it isn't, and I miss my chance to buy a Series 1 M, then I suppose I'll just have to put up with driving my current 135i for a few more months, even a year plus, before an F20 M comes along. That will probably work too.
I don't think all hope is lost. Like with any new car, there is a big hype involved with it (just like this one). After the dust settles, and the many orders filled, they will still have cars left over (i believe). This is pure speculation on my part but some of these threads are speculation as well. We wont all know until the cars start being delivered. Maybe, mid summer or early fall we will have a much better idea of how fast these cars are selling and how hard it will be to get one?

The other thing to consider is that many variables can happen between now and lets say, a year from now. An owner can buy one of these cars. Find him or herself in a financial rut (or other obligation), and turn around and sell a year from now - with the car having only a few thousand miles on it.
I found this true with my old Dodge Viper -Copperhead Edition. It was a limited edition of only 300 (each one numbered) and there was HUGE hype in the Viper community when it came out. A year or two later, you could pick one up for thousands less than msrp... Just my .02
Don't give up hope
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
Like Dr. Segler said, they will be hard to get!
The doc also said this would be a car for younger enthusiasts to get into... I'm not believing a word the marketing guy says.

That being said, this will likely mean that I'll be at my dealer Monday placing a deposit.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I don't think all hope is lost. Like with any new car, there is a big hype involved with it (just like this one). After the dust settles, and the many orders filled, they will still have cars left over (i believe). This is pure speculation on my part but some of these threads are speculation as well. We wont all know until the cars start being delivered. Maybe, mid summer or early fall we will have a much better idea of how fast these cars are selling and how hard it will be to get one?

The other thing to consider is that many variables can happen between now and lets say, a year from now. An owner can buy one of these cars. Find him or herself in a financial rut (or other obligation), and turn around and sell a year from now - with the car having only a few thousand miles on it.
I found this true with my old Dodge Viper -Copperhead Edition. It was a limited edition of only 300 (each one numbered) and there was HUGE hype in the Viper community when it came out. A year or two later, you could pick one up for thousands less than msrp... Just my .02
Don't give up hope
Thanks for the encouragment. The plan has risk, but maybe BMW will realize they have capacity and demand to continue into 2012... but low enough so they add blue!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post

Don't give up hope
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragment. The plan has risk, but maybe BMW will realize they have capacity and demand to continue into 2012... but low enough so they add blue!
Exactly, it will not be long after release before you see these cars on the used market. I just want to know that only my butt has been in the drivers seat.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I don't have any factual basis, but I strongly suspect BMW will not significantly increase production capacity of the 1M to meet increased demand. This is just a gut instinct, but I think this is a huge marketing exercise to prime the market for the next generation of the 1M (or M2 if they indeed turn the F20 coupe into the 2 series). I have previously suggested that they are purposefully producing a hard to get car in order to create a certain mystique about the new entry level M car. The F20 M will then fully assume the position in the line up that the M3 has previously held. The M3 will become even more upscale and more similar to the M5/M6 in terms of price and buyer demographic.

Just speculation on my part.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I don't have any factual basis, but I strongly suspect BMW will not significantly increase production capacity of the 1M to meet increased demand. This is just a gut instinct, but I think this is a huge marketing exercise to prime the market for the next generation of the 1M (or M2 if they indeed turn the F20 coupe into the 2 series). I have previously suggested that they are purposefully producing a hard to get car in order to create a certain mystique about the new entry level M car. The F20 M will then fully assume the position in the line up that the M3 has previously held. The M3 will become even more upscale and more similar to the M5/M6 in terms of price and buyer demographic.

Just speculation on my part.
+1

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
So, will there still be a 1M coupe after e82 is done?
I don't think so. Try looking up Scott26 old posts on this subject. Here is one of his posts that is relevant.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464177

Basically the 1M production will be short lived. Ending at the end of this year 2011. Then a few months later (maybe up to six) M3 e9x production will end. At that point BMW will have no small sporty M cars for sale.

Scott has hinted that maybe BMW will make a hardtop Z4M (with an even hotter engine) or a X3M (sic).

Once the new 1er (F2x) starts production... it will be awhile before we will see an M model. Same goes with the F3x. I suspect we will see a M3 F3x before we will see a M1/M2 F2x.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcrap View Post
Thanks Neil. Yeah as time goes by I get more worried that I won't get one even though I'm first on the list at my dealership, have put down a $1000 deposit, and my credit has been approved...what if they don't even get one...ah!!!
You actually let them run your credit 3-4 months before the car will be here? You do realize your approval means nothing at this point and that they will end up running your credit again when you take delivery, right? BMW credit approvals are really only good for 60 days.

Don't let the dealers screw with you man. The dealer I'm working with won't even take deposits from any customers until the car is available for order, which should be in March. Dealers that take deposits upfront are just collecting interest on your money for 3-4 months. 9 times out of 10, it guarantees you nothing..especially so far in advance that even the dealers don't know their allocation status for a limited car like the 1M. Just sayin....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
I don't think so. Try looking up Scott26 old posts on this subject. Here is one of his posts that is relevant.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464177

Basically the 1M production will be short lived. Ending at the end of this year 2011. Then a few months later (maybe up to six) M3 e9x production will end. At that point BMW will have no small sporty M cars for sale.

Scott has hinted that maybe BMW will make a hardtop Z4M (with an even hotter engine) or a X3M (sic).

Once the new 1er (F2x) starts production... it will be awhile before we will see an M model. Same goes with the F3x. I suspect we will see a M3 F3x before we will see a M1/M2 F2x.

Dackel
Thanks Dackel.

That might just make the 1M a collectible, maybe?
Appreciate 0