BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

I'm exhaust retarded - Help!

Ok, so thanks to an old man's poor reflexes on an icy road I've found myself in the market for a new exhaust/diffuser set up.

I've spent a few hours now reading up and sifting through the forums on some of the after market options out there for our cars, but I'm not sure if I ended up more educated or just more confused lol.

My budget for these two pieces? $2,000. I'm not particularly concerned about performance gains. The car gives my passengers whiplash aplenty already. And something a little more aggressive sounding would be cool, but I don't want to sound like a 17 year old's flame covered Honda either.

So carbon fiber diffusers are out. And even if they weren't, I really hope they'd at least lube me up with the prices they're charging for those. $1500 for a little skirt on the back of the bumper? wtf? I mean seriously, wtf?

Anyway... The problem I've found is a severe lack of non-carbon fiber diffusers to choose from.

I'm really digging the quad exhaust look. I did find this Hartge diffuser that looks decent and a reasonable price:

http://www.gravityauto.com/haredi.html

But the quads I'm seeing out there seem to have the exhaust tips out too far to fit inside this particular diffuser. Does one exist? Are these quad systems easy (or even possible) to adjust? Keeping my budget in mind of course.

Now, going with a standard exhaust is much easier exhaust-wise but no better when it comes to finding (non carbon fiber) diffusers. The same site from above has a painted OEM diffuser that isn't bad I guess - would like something with a little more style though.

I wouldn't consider myself particularly knowledgeable on the exhaust side of things, but since my stock set up is all banged up I guess it's time for a crash course. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would get the BMW performance exhaust and some 3m DiNoc film for your rear difuser.

icarbon or BMW perf carbon difuser is nice stuff but sooo much $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would get the BMW performance exhaust and some 3m DiNoc film for your rear difuser.

icarbon or BMW perf carbon difuser is nice stuff but sooo much $$$$.
Thanks. My first thought was to get the BMW performance exhaust and just paint or coat the (new) stock diffuser. That'd be right around $1000 give or take.

But I thought *maybe* I could get a nice quad set up for another grand, instead I just found myself confused with the choices and lack of information.

Be funny if I ended up right back with my first choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

Check out inside performance for a quad set up.
http://www.insideperformance.de/onli...roducts_id/196
      01-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

That Inside Performance quad exhaust sounds really good, is it a cat back exhaust? I dont know much about the company. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep

I saw the Inside Performance setup mentioned in another thread. The only way for them to accept international purchases is through a bank transfer so they're automatically disqualified for me.

Anyone know another online retailer that has the Inside Performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow just read up on the AccessPORT tune from Cobb.

I should be able to get that, the BMW performance exhaust, and a painted stock diffuser for right around 2k.
Appreciate 0