ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Dealer Fuel injector cleaning service

I know this is discussed before, but I didn't find anything relevant other than the fact that the we should use techron fuel additive in the search I did.

Took my car in for service and they recommend the Fuel Injector Cleaning service for $190. I asked them do they remove the injectors, they said no, they run an alternate fuel line into the injectors to soften up the build up and put then put the additives in the tank.

has anyone done this at the dealer and notice any difference? Trying to see if it's worth the $190...I've been using chevron for a while and running the fuel cleaner from Costco chevron cleaner.

Please chime in. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
nutzkicker617
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

They can recommend a million other things as well....but the main question is whether or not you need it.

Have you been noticing rough idle conditions? lower MPG? Loss of power?

If your car is running fine then the service is not needed and just continue to run the Techron every 3-5,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
And I have been told not to use it more than that as it will begin to break down your motor oil.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

No rough idle that I'm aware of...not sure about hesitation... but if there's carbon build up... you never know until it's really bad. My MPG is about the same...I get about 2 to 3 more MPG when I have the bottle of Techron in...other than that...I get about 190 miles per tank in the city.

But I wanted to know if the dealer injector service is any good or it's the same thing as them throwing in a bottle of techron for $190. Thanks for the input though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I think it's snake oil, man. Just try and use good fuel and run techron once in a while. Unless you have over 100,000 miles on your car, I wouldn't even worry about fuel injectors.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
I know this is discussed before, but I didn't find anything relevant other than the fact that the we should use techron fuel additive in the search I did.

Took my car in for service and they recommend the Fuel Injector Cleaning service for $190. I asked them do they remove the injectors, they said no, they run an alternate fuel line into the injectors to soften up the build up and put then put the additives in the tank.

has anyone done this at the dealer and notice any difference? Trying to see if it's worth the $190...I've been using chevron for a while and running the fuel cleaner from Costco chevron cleaner.

Please chime in. Thanks.
Ask your Service Advisor to pull up and read SIB 13 02 06 and SIB 13 05 06
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...tml#post170288

http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

If a fuel system cleaning to necessary here is how it's to be done:
Fuel System Cleaning SIB 13 01 07.pdf

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Out of curiosity, would the Techron fuel additive show high lead content in an oil analysis? Reason I ask is because I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and they came back and told me the lead content was 57 PPI compared to the universal average of 3 PPI.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Out of curiosity, would the Techron fuel additive show high lead content in an oil analysis? Reason I ask is because I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and they came back and told me the lead content was 57 PPI compared to the universal average of 3 PPI.
My last Blackstone I did(and first on coupe) had a 53 on lead. Im pretty sure this was caused by racing fuel from previous owner or contamination in the oil from the BMW tech who sampled the oil. Not too worried as it could be many things. Will sample again in March but curious as well about Techron as I put some in before the sample was taken.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I use Redline in my daily but not the Z4
      01-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'm about to send in a sample, so I'll report the results.

OP: how did they determine that you need this fuel injector cleaner service?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was curious about the cold weather cranking...takes about 1s longer...he said it was normal... but Cali gas is cheap and they say that the SIB is to recommend cleaning the fuel injectors for customers to queries about any hesitation or gas related. He wasn't pushing too hard. He's a good service adviser... I"m sure he has to sell some, but pretty up front and great service...so I'm not going to say anything bad.

I was just curious if what the dealer did really worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Unless you're experiencing hesitation, check engine ligts, bad throttle, etc I'd suggest you run a cleaner in your tank. Just make sure you do it AFTER you get a sample for Blackstone and BEFORE you change the oil (like the last tank of gas before you change the oil). No sense in changing the oil then running the caustic stuff through your fuel system and letting the stuff get into the oil.

I am a believer in the Chevron fuel system cleaner as good maintenance.

If you really want to clean the injectors you can take them out and send them here: http://www.lindertech.com/inj_faqs.htm

BTW: If you're getting a rough idle the sparkplugs would be a cheaper way to swap. A worn plug can really make a rough idle. And the BMW "lifetime" plugs are a joke, yes they're good plugs, just not 100k miles good.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, I forgot to add... $190 for a bottle of cleaner and a "special" line is snake oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Oh, I forgot to add... $190 for a bottle of cleaner and a "special" line is snake oil.
And pure profit for the dealer. Along with "oil flushes" and other "special" services.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Unless you're experiencing hesitation, check engine ligts, bad throttle, etc I'd suggest you run a cleaner in your tank. Just make sure you do it AFTER you get a sample for Blackstone and BEFORE you change the oil (like the last tank of gas before you change the oil). No sense in changing the oil then running the caustic stuff through your fuel system and letting the stuff get into the oil.

I am a believer in the Chevron fuel system cleaner as good maintenance.

If you really want to clean the injectors you can take them out and send them here: http://www.lindertech.com/inj_faqs.htm

BTW: If you're getting a rough idle the sparkplugs would be a cheaper way to swap. A worn plug can really make a rough idle. And the BMW "lifetime" plugs are a joke, yes they're good plugs, just not 100k miles good.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've been running chevron gas for quite some time now and I also put the costco chevron gas cleaner as directed. But I wanted to see if anyone actually had the dealer injector cleaning service performed and saw any difference...that was my original questions.

I just want to make sure my cars are always in prime condition that's all. I thought about new spark plugs...but my car only has 25.5K miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

FYI: I changed my sparkplugs at 24k since I bought my car used. The old ones looked fine, but after I put new ones in the idle was much smoother. From Tisher or BavAuto they were big bucks, but only $6 from Kragen's. So for under $40 you can only improve throttle and idle. Don't forget a little anti-sieze on the threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #18
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
And pure profit for the dealer. Along with "oil flushes" and other "special" services.
My idiot dealer just tried to sell me a $189 alignment, because it's supposedly on the "maintenance schedule" to be done every 15k miles. Really? BULLPUCKY. Alignments are done when needed, not by mileage. And my local frame & alignment guy, who does the job RIGHT (I've had horrible experience over the years with stealership alignments), charges LESS THAN HALF of what these knucklers want to charge me. I REALLY resent that kind of up-sell - pure out-and-out lying with the "schedule" claim. These are the same retards who admit to putting 40 psi in "all" tires of "all" cars that they service, despite the fact that it has no relation to the individual pressures called for in the individual cars. This visit the idiot SA told me that they do this because so many cars come in underinflated and many people don't bother to check, so this is like some kind of favor they're doing them or something. Really? I wonder if their lawyer knows they're doing this?? Idiots.
      01-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI: I changed my sparkplugs at 24k since I bought my car used. The old ones looked fine, but after I put new ones in the idle was much smoother. From Tisher or BavAuto they were big bucks, but only $6 from Kragen's. So for under $40 you can only improve throttle and idle. Don't forget a little anti-sieze on the threads.
BMW recommends "naked" threads though.
      01-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi, My idles are not rough... I was more curious than anything. In non Sport mode, it seems a little slow...but it could be just the computer...I need to do the reset trick I believe... In non sport mode...which I don't drive in that much it seems fine. So I'm not sure if the spark plugs are needed. If I was keeping the car, I would get it chipped...but I wanted it stock and under warranty...so I never did anything with the car, other than put OEM strut bars.

Far as alignments go, I've had several dealers say the same thing, that these cars needs to be preloaded before the alignment is done. I guess they fill up the car with sand bags or something and then do the alignment.

I had a little vibration in the steering wheel above 70...I wasn't sure what the problem was...They told me $120 for balancing all 4 tires. I knew was getting robbed...but for me to go to my alignment guy and do it...it cost that much in my time...so I just paid the dealer to do it...seems fine now.

There's a lot of upselling done everywhere...even my dentist does it...offer me a $35 fluoride rinse...did nothing for me...said it could be covered under insurance and billed me afterwards....needless to say I no longer go to that dentist. Far as the Service Advisers are concerned. The one I have in SoCAL is the best so far of the 3 places I've been. I don't recommended Bob Smith nor Valencia...in Los Angeles. Valencia fixed my car and I had to fix it myself afterwards.
Appreciate 0