ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Foxland
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red Z4 3.0 Roadster

Sealing the softop

I did a search and couldnt find anything, so sorry if this has been covered. My manual says to seal the softtop every 5 washes, is this something that needs to be done? My friend with an M6 has never treated his top, is this something that I should get (sealer), I wash the car weekly.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I do it twice a year. I buy Raggtop brand products and follow the instructions. Its cheap and easy might as well do it right?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I was sold when I saw how the water beaded off in the Raggtopp demo video. Definitely good if you plan to keep the car a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Foxland
Private
Rep

Thanks, evoq007 for the reco, I just looked them up an I was sold too after seeing the video. My top is light, beige, it shows dirt pretty fast.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

Have been using the RaggTop for years...and it works. BMW makes one, as well as 303 but one of the drawbacks you have with those products or the NEW RaggTopp wet spray is that they are, wet. They leave droplets coming out of the sprayer and one needs to spread these out with a coarse sponge.

I HIGHLY recco the aresol RaggTop cans...the first line product they had before everyone got so concerned about going "green". It applies in a nicely pattern mist, settles on and in, and goes on even, and dries for second coat properly. BTW-- make SURE you use the R/T cleaner as well, let thoroughly dry as the recco' and THEN and only then apply the Conditioner...let cure without any moisture getting to it, and you are home free with a great water bebeading. I think the tan top will clean up nicely, make take some second, third apps but once done the conditioner works great. I also do not make a habit of using much soap on the top in between the times I condition it...enough to break up the dirt, rinse it away and the once a year conditioner works great. But then we have a garage kept Z4...so results may vary. I used to apply also 2X a year...now once. Good luck on this...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Foxland
Private
Rep

Thanks zkeeper for the detailed explanation, I will definitely get the raggtop, they still advertise the aerosol can. My car is also garaged but we get a lot of rain here in s Florida and I wash the car once a week.
Mo
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Just to add my 0.02:

I bought the BMW brand top cleaner. Only a few squirts was enough to make lots of foam and scrub with a sponge. Lots of rinse water and the top was pretty clean.

I tried the arosol RaggTop and the results were so-so. It sprayed out a little thick. So I shook the can for a good 5 min and it still sprayed out a little syrupy. It does do a great job of water beading, but the coverage wasn't that great. That little below the glass wasn't covered great and water didn't bead there. Obviously my fault for only one coat, but the whole can only got me 2.5 coats.

I just washed the top again with the BMW cleaner and applied the 303 fabric protector. It goes on so much easier, there's no propelant fumes it dries much faster, and water beads better. I think the 303 is a little bit better of a product, is easier to apply, and the 32 ounce pump bottle will last about 10 coats, for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Foxland
Private
Rep

Thanks santov, sounds like I will be going thru this stuff fairly frequently, I will try the 303 as well so that I have a basis for comparison. What does the BMW dealer sell, who makes it for them?
Mo
Appreciate 0