BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
darn cops

I was out to lunch the other day with the top down, I've had my car two months now and I decided to open it up and see how it would launch. So I stop at a light, turn off the traction control, and floor it. The back end broke loose, but I kept on it and the LSD propelled me forward through the intersection with very minor and easily correctable amount of fishtail. I let off at about 50 (it was a 45 zone) and then stopped at the next light. A suburban pulls up next to me, the guy rolls down his window and says, "that was a nice burnout, but I thought it would be capable of more". I kind of took that for sarcasm and simply said, "sorry". He replied, "by the way, did you know that's reckless driving? I'm an off-duty police officer, and I've already forwarded your license plate to my buddy. If I see you do that again I'm going to call it in, ok?". I said, "understood. by the way, that was my first time, I just wanted to see what it could do", to which he said "twice, I've been following you awhile and you did it twice", which was totally false, but I just looked away and said 'Ok' as the light turned green and we parted ways.

So as I reflect on this:
a) I do consider myself a bit lucky for getting a warning (if he really was a cop, which I think he was just by his tone).

b) I looked up the definition of reckless driving in my area, and I find it highly suspect that what I did fits the definition (driving with wanton disregard for human life, i.e. intentionally into oncoming traffic, on sidewalks, with people in street, etc; or continuously committing 3 or more moving violations for a stretch of at least 3 miles), more likely excessive acceleration or display of power. Although I'm sure that would stick to a poor sap without a lawyer and they'd do some minor jail time.

c) why am I so unlucky as to get nailed the first time?!

d) and this is the one that bothers me, why does every police officer I encounter (which admittedly has only been once every five years or so) have to take a condescending, "just TRY to argue with me, buddy" tone? I realize this was him being nice and letting me off ( probably because he was off duty), but just thinking about the snarky jab at 'how poorly it burned out', and trying to tell me he caught me twice just makes me angry.

Anyway, that's it. I guess you have to expect a certain amount of attention/trouble when you drive an M3. I'm not looking for any lectures or anything, just had to rant.

Last edited by sor; 01-16-2011 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Consider yourself lucky. That is all.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Had a similar experience in my first m3.... Doing some high speed double yellow line passes on two lane country roads after trailing a group of cars for 15 miles. I finally get around and at the next town come to a two car road block. Sherriff Bob signals me over...I sit there a bit as they check my info and then here comes along Mr. Toyota camry...I look in my mirror, watch the guy get out and show the cops his badge...to top it off my wife is riding shotgun and is thinking she'll be driving home solo while I get a weekend stay in the county lockup...middle Missouri...would not be surprised.

Lessons learned...I got a warning...but that guy was definitely a cop and more than willing to screw with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def dont have to tell you that you got lucky but all i can recommend is if you want to push your car go somewhere there is no one around and you can really have fun. the only bad thing is now that you have pushed it and got a taste you are prob hooked and are going to want to mash it all the time like the rest of us!! haha

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

they can't do shit if they're off-duty, and even the officer who he would've phoned can't do shit either unless they witness you in the act.

all these "warnings" are given because they can't exercise any other authority or option over you.

i would've done it again just for shits and giggles to be perfectly honest with you.

Last edited by mgx; 01-16-2011 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
plastixx
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgx View Post
they can't do shit if they're off-duty, and even the officer who he would've phoned can't do shit either unless they witness you in the act.

all these "warnings" are given because they can't exercise any other authority or option over you.

i would've done it again just for shits and giggles to be perfectly honest with you.
I've been pulled over by off duty cops in their private cars. They just call in a buddy to write up the tickets.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruuzeR View Post
I've been pulled over by off duty cops in their private cars. They just call in a buddy to write up the tickets.
by law you don't have to stop for anyone besides clearly marked patrol vehicles and that's a fact. know your rights. you should've requested a super, he just played you on your stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
travelinman53
Olde Fart Young at Heart
Rep
Drives: 08 335, 95 M3

Garage List
95 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
by law you don't have to stop for anyone besides clearly marked patrol vehicles and that's a fact. know your rights. you should've requested a super, he just played you on your stupidity.
Law enforcement can exaggerate the truth and get away with it every time. I've learned to never get into a pissing contest over the facts cuz the civilian will lose that every time. Now argue the law and have that on your side and you can win, but the facts - let's say almost never will you win, at least in Cali.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
MVagustaf4/e93m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white e93m3

An off duty cop pulled his gun on me, just cause I confronted him about cutting me off on the street, he was with a young female which i think made him feel macho, I told him that I didn't need a badge or gun to escalate the situation to something else, I sat still (in my car) as I spoke to him, not giving him a reason to shoot me..
I wrestled with cops in the past at the dojo, the ones I wrestled with were not much without a badge or a gun......
I respect cops for what they represent, "the law" but I will not stand for some off duty idiot with a badge trying to boss me around....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVagustaf4/e93m3 View Post
An off duty cop pulled his gun on me, just cause I confronted him about cutting me off on the street, he was with a young female which i think made him feel macho, I told him that I didn't need a badge or gun to escalate the situation to something else, I sat still (in my car) as I spoke to him, not giving him a reason to shoot me..
I wrestled with cops in the past at the dojo, the ones I wrestled with were not much without a badge or a gun......
I respect cops for what they represent, "the law" but I will not stand for some off duty idiot with a badge trying to boss me around....

not to mention off-duty cops aren't allowed to carry their weapon on them without being on shift... should've called HIM in.

Quote:
When not in uniform, a police officer has the same limited rights as any other citizen when it comes to personal responsibility and behavior. For example, an off-duty police officer attending a private party cannot pull a gun on a fellow guest or force an intoxicated party-goer to stop drinking.
Quote:
Some people believe that an off-duty police officer not in uniform and driving an unmarked car cannot legally issue a citation, but that is not always the case. Different police departments have different policies concerning the authority of off-duty officers, but in many places an off-duty police officer does have the legal right to detain an offender until an on-duty officer arrives to finish the process. The key factor in such an action is proper identification, however.
http://www.wisegeek.com/does-an-off-...-authority.htm

so i do stand corrected in some sense actually.

Last edited by mgx; 01-16-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
MVagustaf4/e93m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white e93m3

Tnx!! Now I know!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
plastixx
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

not to mention off-duty cops aren't allowed to carry their weapon on them without being on shift... should've called HIM in.

http://www.wisegeek.com/does-an-off-...-authority.htm

so i do stand corrected in some sense actually.
I am glad you found the answer. Shouldn't be so quick to judge. I was in fact being detained until the uniformed PO arrived.

Some PDs allow officers to equip the strobes on their private cars, which was the case for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruuzeR View Post
I am glad you found the answer. Shouldn't be so quick to judge. I was in fact being detained until the uniformed PO arrived.

Some PDs allow officers to equip the strobes on their private cars, which was the case for me.
in those cases though, i do know that you can drive without pulling over straight to the PD if you're wary about the situation. most cops who have lights equipped on their vehicle are usually on-shift and just in an unmarked though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Why tempt fate? If you get a warning be grateful.

Internet advice is mostly worth what you pay for. I'd take all this with a grain of salt. It's easy to tell someone to rub it in the cop's face when they're not the ones that have to deal with the repurcussions.

Even if we're in the right, most of us should have better things to do with our time then to have to go to court and fight it out when a cop oversteps their bounds.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

I totally respect Police Officers when it comes to the keeping the community safe etc, but I don't understand why they have to be dicks when it comes to pulling people over. Oh I'm sure you have never sped in your life.

But I love running into good cops. Back when I had my Trailblazer SS, I was leaving the hospital at 1AM after visiting a friend at the ER and he was coming up behind me and got on his speaker saying "I have a black one just like it and i LOVE it." Then tries to race. I'm just like AWESOME!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:

You need to do your research Junior. You're going to tell me it's fine to have Joe Schmo who wears a camo hoodie walk around with a concealed weapon but off-duty officers, how are trained in specific situations in the use of a firearm, shouldn't be allowed to carry? What's the difference, one is trained and one is not. Who would you rather be in the room with?

I have close friends that are PO's and I speed, have made aggressive lane changes, etc but I've never asked for a free pass when caught doing so. Part of the risk in doing these things. You get your backside sideways that's on you for not keeping your vehicle under control. How would you feel if some 16 year old in a hack-job Neon was all over the road next to you in your 65k M3? I'm just as guilty but when called out for it don't cry that law enforcement has nothing better to do, find a closed circuit race track and don't put others at risk. Not saying OP put anyone at risk just stating my position.
      01-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #17
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
You need to do your research Junior. You're going to tell me it's fine to have Joe Schmo who wears a camo hoodie walk around with a concealed weapon but off-duty officers, how are trained in specific situations in the use of a firearm, shouldn't be allowed to carry? What's the difference, one is trained and one is not. Who would you rather be in the room with?

I have close friends that are PO's and I speed, have made aggressive lane changes, etc but I've never asked for a free pass when caught doing so. Part of the risk in doing these things. You get your backside sideways that's on you for not keeping your vehicle under control. How would you feel if some 16 year old in a hack-job Neon was all over the road next to you in your 65k M3? I'm just as guilty but when called out for it don't cry that law enforcement has nothing better to do, find a closed circuit race track and don't put others at risk. Not saying OP put anyone at risk just stating my position.
what're you on about?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #18
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Sounds like the same story for my first ticket in my M3. Rip thru 2nd gear in a 35 mph zone. Had a cop coming in the opposite direction. He clocked me at 70mph. Insisted that he was going to tow and throw me into jail until he checked my clean record. Gave me a $550 negligent driving ticket.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #19
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Been into over 10 different kinds of incidents were I had to dealt with a cop in the last few years, and only ONE of them were actually nice. The other ones were pure breed buttholes(nothing related to tickets, just how they handled the situation), and because of this I hardly have any respect for POs anymore.

The worst one was a few months ago. My dad went to airport to pick up my sister, and someone hit his car when he was on the way back to home. The guy basically hit the front passenger side of his car, his car went out of control and hit a concrete barriers, then flipped over on the highway. (Everyone was ok)
When the cop came, he didn't even ask if everyone's ok or anything like that, all he did was ask if my dad was driving and wrote the ticket, refuse to help, and just left. My dad told him how it happened and he didn't seem to care, and refuse to help to find the car that committed the hit and run.

Another time is when my friend got robbed like a year ago, he was robbed and beaten by two guys with baseball bat. I live about 20 minutes away from the place that he got robbed at, and I arrived before the cop did. The cop basically came, asked him what happened, laughed and said 'yeah this happens a lot around here, good luck next time'.

After personally experienced/witnessed the two incidents I mentioned I have lost most if not all respect for cops.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Anyone with a CHL should have the legal right to carry concealed weapons at places that didn't prohibit concealed weapons, doesn't matter if he's Joe Schmo or a off-duty cop.

Being a cop shouldn't give anyone the legal right to carry any concealed weapon while being off-duty without an CHL.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
You get your backside sideways that's on you for not keeping your vehicle under control. How would you feel if some 16 year old in a hack-job Neon was all over the road next to you in your 65k M3? I'm just as guilty but when called out for it don't cry that law enforcement has nothing better to do, find a closed circuit race track and don't put others at risk. Not saying OP put anyone at risk just stating my position.
Who got sideways? ...or was that just a hypothetical?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinman53 View Post
Law enforcement can exaggerate the truth and get away with it every time. I've learned to never get into a pissing contest over the facts cuz the civilian will lose that every time. Now argue the law and have that on your side and you can win, but the facts - let's say almost never will you win, at least in Cali.
^ This.

You will never win arguing with a traffic officer because he can exaggerate the truth and win every time. Your best bet is to just be as polite as possible, even if the traffic officer is a jerk. Let your lawyer deal with him later if you feel the issue is worth arguing over.

I personally view most (there are some reasonable officers out there and I truly appreciate them) traffic officers as an annoyance and another form of a tax. They are not much better than highway robbers. You either cooperate and pay the toll or they are going to make your life miserable.

You also have to remember that traffic officers are the bottom of the police department. No one wants to do traffic duty, so you can be assured all the dirtbags will end up doing it forever.

*I will also mention my father was a police officer for 35 years. I respect real police work like helping citizens in need, getting drugs off our streets, solving crimes, NOT abusing their powers to harass the general public and playing the good ole' boy club games and covering for each other legally.*

If you want an example of a corrupt police department take a look at Spokane WA... An officer has killed 2 people now, both under suspicious circumstances as well as a family dog while he was responding to the owner who was having a heart attack (can you imagine being the wife who calls the police to help her, an officer responds and shoots her dog while she is trying to tend to her distressed husband?) - but it is all good because the Police can do no wrong!