BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Dings

I know dings are a fact of life, but I hate them with a passion. I noticed my first door ding in two years of ownership today. It's a very small one located on the driver's side rear quarter panel. There's a tiny paint chip, which I can live with given how insignificant it is. The dent is small too, but I won't be able to sleep tonight knowing that it's there.

Has anyone ever had any luck with ding removal? Is there anything that can be done, or should I learn to cope?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 01-10-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
i dont know how most people deal with it. since someone hit my shit from the rear while she was parked i feel like crying every time. My gf could not believe how i tripped out when i came to my car she avoided me for the entire night. I was furious.

thinking about the state of my car that night - scrapes under the front bumper thanks to potholes, ding in the front, 3 rims with scratches, and now a rear bumper with 2 vertical dents... a state of mental chaos. I helped myself with the the thoughts that im buying aftermarket front and rear bumpers so it didnt really matter, the bumpers are coming off. And I am never taking my car into NYC whenever it can be prevented.

For a car that is not to be modded, i would just wait it out untill about 2 years of ownership and take the car to be fixed of all dents/dings/scratches and other fuckery. if its really bad, maybe sooner. but just try turning a blind eye to it, and just tell yourself "in x months shes going to get fixed anyways". you will be ok.
      01-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Good paintless dent removal people can do amazing things.

My 2006 330i had hail damage and the insurance adjuster suggested I use PDR. I refused to use PDR on my car as I was skeptical to its effectiveness so I picked the best and only BMW Certified body shop in Edmonton to do the repairs: Dougs Place Collision Repair. Dougs ended up having a PDR shop look at it before they commenced with any body work. The end result was amazing, the car was totally straight with no signs of dents anywhere and the best thing was no paint/body work on my 6 month old car, they even repaired a minor door ding I had in the car along with the hail dents.

PDR is definitely an option for you, go and get an estimate on the dent and they can tell you what their success rate should be (ie: percentage of correction 90%, 95%). After the dent is fixed a detailer can fix the chip for you no problem. If it were my car I would definitely look into this as I am very OCD about my car and can't stand any damage at all no matter how small.
      01-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

+1 on the PDR recommendation. Haven't had any on the M, but I got a nasty little ding right on a curved part of my door on my last car. Pretty sure it was hopeless but tried PDR anyway. I've got a really keen eye and I was amazed to see that it was like the door ding never happened.
      01-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

PDR is awesome. I take my car to them whenever I get a ding...always looks like new when they are done.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0