BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Xylarax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Montego

N55 Procede Install complete....but...

So I just finished my install, and then I finished my first drive. I'm loving the increased feeling of responsiveness from the engine, the boost gauge is an awesome little treat, and I'm excited for future power gains. However, I made one mistake during the install.

When reconnecting the Battery terminals I didn't make sure the bottom piece (i don't know what its called) was in the right spot, it got twisted up a little bit, and I broke the screw when I was tightening it down:

For now I have a working solution involving a tiny hose clamp and some padding, but it is neither elegant nor permanent.

I already have to go back in for service later in the week. My driver's side mirror cracked a week ago because of the cold weather outside, and the heated mirrors. I took it in mid last week, and they agreed it will be fixed under warranty, but they would have to order the part. I was told they will call when the part is in and I should come in for a 20-30 minute pop the thing in while I wait visit.

So my questions here are (this is my first tune, first car i've ever owned actually so I'm a bit noobish here):
1. I know I should take it out before I go to the dealer for an oil change, or a reporgramming. But what about this time? Is it enough to just put it in valet mode?

2. What can I say to get them to give me a new one of these. My plan right now is "I'm interested in cars so I disconnected my battery to look around, when I reconnected it I broke it, do you have a screw I can have, I don't mind paying the 50 cents or whatever this shit costs"

3. When people say they disconnect it before going to a dealer, it only takes 10 minutes. Do they mean just disconnect the Procede computer and leave the harness in there. Or do you actually unplug every connector and replug all the old ones? To me that seems longer than 10 minutes. I guess this question can also be read as: "Does the harness allow things to just pass-through when not plugged into the Procede computer"

Thanks for your input guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Haha same thing happened to me. These fvckers at bmw just had to reinvent the battery terminal. 50 cents.... get ready to whip or 20 bucks for a whole new negative cable from an m3 if you want that bolt from a dealer. Its 8 bucks less online but there is still shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Just buy it online or from a different dealer than where you have your car serviced.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Xylarax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Wow, I know the dealers want to suck as much money out of you as possible, but you don't think an independent shop can get this bolt? I will try Schucks to see if they have something like it, but this seems to be a pretty BMW specific solution to the "battery terminal problem" (sarcasm). I also looked at correcting BMWs mistake, but that battery terminal seems difficult to disconnect from that big black cable, and I would need to do that to get it in the drill press.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

Just get the part number, then tell em "Hey, I need this". They should have little things like that in stock and shouldn't ask you why.
      01-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Just get the part number, then tell em "Hey, I need this". They should have little things like that in stock and shouldn't ask you why.
No they dont. The only way you can gt this bolt from bmw is by buying a negative cable. Atleast thats what ive heard from all the sources ive read/talked too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

I would just ask them if ur able to fix just that part.
      01-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

All very good suggestions. Buy the part else where and install it yourself paying close attention to torque values for attaching hardware.
Believe me (unless you have a very lenient dealer) they will break out they waterhose and spotlights. Also beware of smoke coming from small buildings out back.

Voice of experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Xylarax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've been to autoparts stores and they don't have anything that will fit my needs. I've also contacted multiple dealerships and they want between 225-275 to sell me the whole terminal. After hunting around I found this in a thread in M3 forums:

VW uses the same t-bolt and sells it individually as part # 6X0-915-138
VW link

So I called up a few local VW dealers and none of them have it in stock. I had one order me the part and I should have it early next week.

Wow BMW, I can't believe I had to go to another company to get the smallest level of service, replacing a bolt.
Appreciate 0